Healthy pumpkin pie?

Options
Biodemon
Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
Now that fall has arrived, it's also time for my greatest weakness to emerge and beckon me: pumpkin pie. I love it so dearly but it doesn't love me back. Anyone got healthy alternatives? I don't like canned pumpkin purée. Much prefer a recipe that is completely from scratch. :3

Thankies. :D

Replies

• Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I hope someone posts some ideas (I'd prefer the canned though)! I've tried around 3 different 'healthy' recipes so far and all were horrible.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Portion control is best. Make them tart size to for better control.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the "pie" part of it, but I saw a recipe on here from someone else and tried it out last night and it was completely amazing. It has fat free cool whip, pumpkin puree, and sugar free pudding mix. All mixed together and it turns into pumpkin-y goodness. YUM.
  • wheels5894
    wheels5894 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Its the pastry that's the real problem. Why not try filo pastry which is thinner and has less fat in it?
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytatse.com has some healthy recipes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As far as pie goes ..... pumpkin is not all that bad. It only has one crust.

To "lighten" the Libby's pie recipe up

Use skim evaporated milk (not whole milk)

Sub in Egg Beaters .... not whole eggs

Sub in Splenda for the sugar.

The crust ..... roll it thinner ..... or just leave most of it on your plate when eating it.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You can make a crustless pie.
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    It is scientifically proven that pumpkin pie consumed on Thanksgiving is calorie neutral.....
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    skip the crust, which generally gets all soggy anyway and make it as a casserole. You could also make it as a souffle and it would practically be health food:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-11-18/entertainment/9311200008_1_solid-pack-pumpkin-whites-heat
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Its the pastry that's the real problem. Why not try filo pastry which is thinner and has less fat in it?

Filo - I bet this would work as a tart - like a really shallow pie (that cooks quicker). I wouldn't try this in a regular pie recipe .... I think the filo would burn before the pumpkin filling is cooked through.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It is scientifically proven that pumpkin pie consumed on Thanksgiving is calorie neutral.....
    I like the way you think!!! :wink:
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    BUMP! To look at later! Maybe I'll be incharge of making the Pie and Mashed Potatoes this year!
  • bahhumbev
    bahhumbev Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just switche to Pumkin Flan - I got a recipe off of the Weight Watcher's website and it was very good - I am at work now but will try to find it for you when I get home if you are interested.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Chocolatecoveredkatie.com - Has a chocolate pumpkin receipe, she also has a pie crust receipe made out of coconut shreds, nuts, cocoa powder and dates - It's really good.
  • krystal_black
    Options
    So I have been eating gluten free and last thanksgiving tried this on my family they loved it. Plus its low cal and gluten free win win right there!

Crust
    2 cups gluten-free ginger snaps
    ¼ cup canola oil
    ¼ cup maple syrup

Filling
    12 ounces silken extra-firm or firm tofu
    2 cups cooked pumpkin puree
    ½ cup maple syrup
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 generous tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. To make the crust, crumble gingersnaps in a food processor or place them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Place crumbs in a bowl, add oil and syrup and stir until mixture sticks together. Place mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch pie plate and press to form ¼-inch thick crust.

3. To make the filling, wrap tofu in towels and press to remove excess water. In a clean food processor bowl, process tofu until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process again to incorporate all the tofu. Add remaining filling ingredients and process until smooth and well combined.

4. Pour filling into pie crust. Cover edges with foil to prevent burning and place pie in preheated oven. Bake 50 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven, cool and serve
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the "pie" part of it, but I saw a recipe on here from someone else and tried it out last night and it was completely amazing. It has fat free cool whip, pumpkin puree, and sugar free pudding mix. All mixed together and it turns into pumpkin-y goodness. YUM.

Pumpkin mousse! This is so delicious. I'm trying to find a way to use less processed ingredients though. Ideas?
  • fitnessbekhs
    Options
    For Crust:
    I use almond meal flour, raw almond butter and egg whites. Mix it to a consistancy that will smash into the pan.

Libby Recipe:
    **Substitute stevia for sugar (use LOTS less stevia. I usually use around 6 packets per pie.)
    **Only use egg whites (just add an egg to have the right amount)
    **Use fat free evaporated milk
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to pumpkin pie too! I don't mind the canned stuff, so I use it to make a pumpkin pie pudding, kind of like what someone already suggested. You could always make your own pumpkin puree. I add a small amount of extra thick coconut milk, gelatin, pumpkin pie spices and honey and mix it up the food processor and then chill it. It comes out thick like pumpkin pie filling, for an almost guilt-free dessert! I make a batch at least once a month all year long!