C25K

Options
2»

Replies

• rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I know the biggest issue for me is nothing physical. I have problems mentally completing my runs. I know that sounds weird, but its the truth. I have been stuck on week 5 for a few weeks now. I simply CANNOT complete the 20 minute run. My legs aren't tired. I'm not really all that out of breath. But something in my head tells me I can't do it, and I stop. Then I skip a day or two, because I am discouraged. Then I back up a day, because I missed a day. It's a vicious cycle.

When you go out for your runs, you need to psych yourself up. Tell yourself that while yes, it's going to be hard, it's nothing that you can't do. And don't move on to week two until you are comfortable with week one... be comfortable with your pace, your stride, etc. On your next run, try to keep up with the app, BUT - if you can't, just promise yourself you'll go farther than you did the last time. Run to the next mailbox. The next driveway. The next block.... Set mini goals for yourself WHILE you are running, and before you know it - you'll be doing more than you ever thought possible. Just stick with it!!!!
  • Chrissiecurit
    Chrissiecurit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tried day 1 a few weeks ago and could only jog two segments the entire workout. Briskly walked the rest. Ugh! So last night I decided to try again since I have been walking every other day since then. I would not let myself quit this time. It sure wasn't easy but I made it! I thought since it is COUCH to 5K, I would have no problem. It's a lot harder than I expected. lol I am taking a rest day today and going out and buying new running shoes. I am hoping that helps give me extra motivation. I am determined to finish the program!

Good luck!! Feel free to add me as a friend since we are starting out at the same time. :smile:
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I know the biggest issue for me is nothing physical. I have problems mentally completing my runs. I know that sounds weird, but its the truth. I have been stuck on week 5 for a few weeks now. I simply CANNOT complete the 20 minute run. My legs aren't tired. I'm not really all that out of breath. But something in my head tells me I can't do it, and I stop. Then I skip a day or two, because I am discouraged. Then I back up a day, because I missed a day. It's a vicious cycle.

When you go out for your runs, you need to psych yourself up. Tell yourself that while yes, it's going to be hard, it's nothing that you can't do. And don't move on to week two until you are comfortable with week one... be comfortable with your pace, your stride, etc. On your next run, try to keep up with the app, BUT - if you can't, just promise yourself you'll go farther than you did the last time. Run to the next mailbox. The next driveway. The next block.... Set mini goals for yourself WHILE you are running, and before you know it - you'll be doing more than you ever thought possible. Just stick with it!!!!

Oh yeah for sure!! The mental games I play on the hard days are ridiculous!! I use mantras over and over like "Just Do IT!!", "This is easy!", "Strong as steel and light as a feather"....LOL

Weeks 5 and 6 seemed really difficult for me, but since breaking through those, I've found it much easier. Switch up you're route as well so you're not going past the same place you want to stop all the time. Your brain will make you feel like you have to stop at that marker well before your body will want to....
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Just wait till you move on to 10K training! Wow. I will just say appreciate your 5k training now, hehe. I finished week 3 of the 10k program today, and it was a FORTY MINUTE steady run (faster than a jog). I killed it. :drinker: But it was tough! Day 2 of week 3 (the one before today) was a 10 minute steady run, immediately followed by a FIVE MINUTE FLAT OUT RUN (OMG!!), immediately followed by a 10 minute jog. There are no walking intervals anymore. I thought I might die. But I didn't. I've learned that if you just keep trying and pushing your body, it will eventually start giving you what you're asking of it. :flowerforyou:
  • pauliethesaint
    Options
    I managed to get shin splints pretty bad at the end of week 2 and my knees got pretty sore (I was running in an un even path while on vacay.... lame :frown: ) so I'm taking time off of the running for now. That being said, I found it to be relatively easy and will certainly start again soon. Just pace your self and remember, it's not a race!