Hard Boiled Eggs

Options

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I start with cold water, bring it to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, then remove them from the heat, cover the pan and wait one hour. Dump the hot water, run cold water over the eggs to cool them, then dry them off and put them in the fridge. Just my way. I have seen different ways. But start with cold water, so the shells don't crack right away.

This is how my mother taught me and it works great and they always peel easily too.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    ***he also advises adding a tbsp of white vinegar to the water to prevent the eggs from cracking and leaking in to the water

I like the vinegar trick...may have to try it. Thanks.
  • rolandgaspar
    Options
    Easiest way I have found is

1. Put eggs in pot
    2. Add water just to cover eggs
    3. bring to a boil
    4. Remove from heat
    5. Cover and let stand 17 minutes
    6. dump hot water and shake eggs around in pan to break shells (allows the cold water in and separates the "egg skin" from the egg
    7. add cold water
    7. Let sit for 15 min.
    8. Will peel very easily

This way always works for me and are super easy to peel

This. Works every single time. I like mine a little softer so I let stand for 13min.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Fool-proof non-boiled eggs!

Eggs
    Oven @ 325F
    Cupcake/muffin pan
    Bowl of ice water

Place 1 egg in each cup/well (however many you want - up to 12 obviously)

Bake for 30 minutes.

Using tongs, cool in icewater bath for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle.

Peel and use them still warm or right into the fridge for up to a week. They peel perfectly, velvety whites, perfect yolks.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    If you like the yolks a beautiful bright yellow and easy to peel this is how you cook them:

1. place eggs in pot and cold water to cover eggs
    2. place on stove burner turned to med-high
    3. When a boil reaches the top of the water and the bubble breaks, remove from heat and put a lid on pot
    4. 10 minutes later drain the water add cold water and ice cubes. The water should be freezing not cool so use a lot of ice.
    5. Leave in ice bath 10 minutes
    6. If you want to peel all eggs, drain water and ice, put lid back on pot and shake pot bake and forth to crack the eggs
    7. When peeling the eggs start with the fat bottom, there is more air in the fat bottom, so the shell is not attached
    8. Try to get a hold of the thin skin that sometimes sticks to the egg. If you can get a little of the skin started it will peel off the shell easy without tearing up the egg. Doing the ice bath helps release the skin from the egg.
    9. How to tell if an egg is hard boiled? Spin it on a counter top, only a hard boiled egg spins
    10.How to tell when an egg is old? Place egg in a cup of water if it floats it is old.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I boil the water.
    Place the eggs in.
    Continue boil on med-high heat for 15 mins.
    Turn off, drain and fill with cold water.
    I peel them shortly after....shell comes right off nice and easy.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I think we've about covered that subject...
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    I usually put them in when the water is almost boiling. Then I leave them in for about 13 minutes. You can also bake them in muffin pans for the same result (I haven't tried this yet).
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    put eggs in enough cold water to cover. Bring to a rapid boil. Turn off heat (leave on the eye) and cover tightly. Set timer for 15 minutes. run under cool water and peel immediately.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    put eggs in enough cold water to cover. Bring to a rapid boil. Turn off heat (leave on the eye) and cover tightly. Set timer for 15 minutes. run under cool water and peel immediately.

edited to say if you place FRESH (farm) eggs in boiling or hot water, they will bust. Those chickens arent fed with all the junk thats in the eggs in the grocery store, and their shells are softer.
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options

Eggs
    Oven @ 325F
    Cupcake/muffin pan
    Bowl of ice water

Bake for 30 minutes.

Using tongs, cool in icewater bath for 5 minutes or until cool enough to handle.

Peel and use them still warm or right into the fridge for up to a week. They peel perfectly, velvety whites, perfect yolks.

This! Sooooo much easier than dealing with water. I don't put mine in a muffin tin, I put two cooling racks on the regular oven rack and just lay out my eggs. I put a cookie sheet below in case one is having a bad day and leaks.

The texture of the whites and yolks is perfect, not rubbery or discolored.
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm making some hard boiled eggs to eat for lunch :)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

Eggs
    Oven @ 325F
    Cupcake/muffin pan
    Bowl of ice water

Bake for 30 minutes.

This, I didn't believe it but they taste amazing when cooked in the oven. Bacon in the oven is delish as well...
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you plan to store your hard-boiled eggs unpeeled (in their shells), put a few onion skins in the water when you boil the eggs. It will color the eggshells yellow, which makes it easy to tell which eggs are hardboiled and which are raw!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Start with the eggs in cold water. Heat on medium until a rolling boil then set your timer for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes is up, dump the hot water and add cold water and ICE. You want them in ICE water. This helps separate the membrane from the egg white and makes them SO much easier to peel! Let them sit for a while....at least 10 - 20 minutes until they're cold. Peel...eat. We boil at least a dozen at a time using this method!

Basically how I do mine, just I don't add the ice. The cold water step is soooo important; I cannot stress that step enough
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I bake them now instead! Very easy and easier to peel. :) Stick them in a muffin pan and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Then stick them in cold water for about 5 minutes before you peel them.

I swear it works and they are great!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great tips!!!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I just recently started boiling eggs myself and made a similar forum post. Whenever I'd boil them....the shell would stick to the egg and it was a big pain in the *kitten* to peel. I got a lot of good suggestions from people on the forums and now this is what works for me:

1. Fill pot with water and bring water to a boil (I just leave mine on full heat throughout the entire process)
    2. Dump some salt into the boiling water (this will keep the shell from sticking to the eggs when you go to peel them)
    3. Place all the eggs in the boiling water and let them cook for ten minutes. (No longer than ten minutes, and you don't need to cover the pot)
    4. Once your ten minutes is up, dump the boiling water out, refill the pot immediately with cold water and ICE. Let them soak in ice water for about 3-4 minutes then put them in the fridge!

Works perfectly for me every time.
  • pgarza40
    Options
    Put the eggs in boiler and cover with cold water. Put them on the stove and let come to a boil. Turn the burner off and let set until the water is warm to the touch. Should have perfectly boiled eggs.