stupid stir fry! stupid cast iron skillet! stupid oil!

Options
NO. Stupid ME!

Veggie mix sticks so I pour about a tablespoon of oil. not enough so pour another tablespoon. AFTER I eat, I log all this into my food diary and good grief! I forgot how high in calories the oil is!

I LOVE my cast iron skillet but dang, I'll be using the orgreenic from now on for veggie stir fry!

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It is all about learning. I eat what I eat, and when I enter it, if it isn't good, I alter how I eat. Either way, it means you are trudging the path in the right direction. Remember, successful people fall often, while failures never fall or fall and walk away.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I only use cast iron to cook but I put half a tablespoon of oil on a napkin and rub it all over the pan and then add a bit of water to steam the veggies...

Do you have a Le Crueset cast iron pan? I love that one so much more than my Lodge one. It's doesn't have teflon but it's enamel coated so it doesn't stick as bad and is easier to wash. They are pricier but I love mine oh so much. I got it for half price at an outlet center cause it has a ding in the paint. LOL
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Aw! No fun!

What does this mean:
    " I'll be using the orgreenic from now on for veggie stir fry!"
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    NO. Stupid ME!

Veggie mix sticks so I pour about a tablespoon of oil. not enough so pour another tablespoon. AFTER I eat, I log all this into my food diary and good grief! I forgot how high in calories the oil is!

I LOVE my cast iron skillet but dang, I'll be using the orgreenic from now on for veggie stir fry!

spray oil! it's the way forward
  • mandyysue
    mandyysue Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to us last night. We made veggie fried rice. I forgot how high oil is too not to mention the RICE itself.
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Your cast iron pan should not be doing that if it was properly seasoned. Don't ever use soap on it and make sure it's well oiled after you wash it. You can put shortening on it and place it in the oven to season. Also, if you put in frozen veggies it might of got too much water at once. Good luck.
  • mdbs2004
    Options
    I have my great grandmother cast iron and I LOVE IT!!!!
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Your cast iron pan should not be doing that if it was properly seasoned. Don't ever use soap on it and make sure it's well oiled after you wash it. You can put shortening on it and place it in the oven to season. Also, if you put in frozen veggies it might of got too much water at once. Good luck.

This ^^^^^
  • mdbs2004
    Options
    I use my cast iron almost every day and always use soap to clean it. Nothing sticks to it. You just cant soak it in soapy water. But I alays wipe it out using a soapy rag.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Meh, IMHO, a non-stick wok works best for this. Just sayin'...
  • 1jeannette9
    1jeannette9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the oil! So what I do is put a little oil and once you see it sticking I add some water instead of MORE oil. Or some broth.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Cast iron really doesn't work if you're trying to eat very little oil. The two things are opposed. Cast iron relies on lots of oil to work properly. You gotta go to non-stick and spray oil.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Was this an ad for OrGreenic pans? Seems to be an As Seen on TV product.
  • sissypunks
    Options
    we dont have a problem with anything sticking in ours but they are about 40 years old and were made with smooth bottoms we even burned everything out of them a couple months ago cause they came from an auction am in the process of reseasoning but if u get them hot before u cook works better i do onion and peppers in mine all the time with no oil or anything . I do have a lodge and i HATE it am ready to throw it in the scrap pile everything sticks no matter what will continue to get them from auctions older ones r much better!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A properly seasoned cast iron skillet shouldn't have that problem as long as you get it hot enough and maybe give it just a tiny spray of oil. But yeah, I've done that.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    well at least it was not a gallon of ice cream right?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I do have a lodge and i HATE it am ready to throw it in the scrap pile everything sticks no matter what will continue to get them from auctions older ones r much better!

Huh. I'm happy with my Lodge for most things, but now you have me wondering if an older pan would be even better.
  • Colleen_G
    Options
    I have my granny's old cast iron and it is AMAZING!
    It HAS to be seasoned properly!
    I NEVER use soapy water on it!
    IF I use any oil, it is some high quality EVOO that I have in my Misto. Just a little pump pump and mist and off I go cooking amazing eats!

Good luck with your future cooking in it! Maybe research proper seasoning techniques before investing in anything else.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cast iron pans properly seasoned don't require ANY additional cooking oil, nothing sticks to mine when they are properly pre-heated before adding any ingredients. Wipe clean with a rag, don't let ingredients sit in them to dry and need a scouring... season your pan!
    that said just try to convince the family who insist on greasing any pan including one they plan to cook bacon in...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my cast iron cookware, including wok. I purposefully want the healthy fat that I add. I don't do "low fat". My stir fries are usually done with coconut oil, and occasionally, olive oil. I fry stuff in the same and sometimes butter. I always stay in my calories and I'm no longer struggling with hunger or over-eating. Fat is NOT bad! If you need more liquid, wine, broth, or water can also be added. MFP defaults are too low in fat and protein, imo. Embrace the healthy fats!