Classic Rock or Oldies??

Options

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    In my view, "classic rock" is any rock music from 1965 to 1979.

That is probably the classic definition of classic rock, but I'd include some 80s rock in the classic rock definition. Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Phil Collins and Genesis have been classic rock radio staples for a while. I have heard Ratt on classic rock stations.
  • AnitaRose72
    AnitaRose72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Classic rock is my favorite. Kind of scary thinking nirvana and bands in the 90's are starting to fall under that category now. Huge Pink Floyd fan too, I wasn't lucky enough to see the band play live together but I have seen Roger Waters do Darkside of the moon and the Wall, and both were incredible.

I am old enough to have seen them sometime, somewhere....if I did I sure people would have told me what a good time we had.....

Old Joke but with some bit of truth.....:-)>

LOL! I knew there was a Santa!!!
  • AnitaRose72
    AnitaRose72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

That is probably the classic definition of classic rock, but I'd include some 80s rock in the classic rock definition. Guns N Roses, Def Leppard, Phil Collins and Genesis have been classic rock radio staples for a while. I have heard Ratt on classic rock stations.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Classic rock...definitely. However, the 90's are now being lumped in with "classic rock" and I vehemently protest that! I'm only 34 & that's the stuff I listened to in HS. :grumble:
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Calling that anything but Classic Rock is downright sick and wrong !
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    hehe as i listen to some skid row and slaughter, poison, white lion etc at my desk ..... I realize im now Classic hahah
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Classic Rock!!! OLDIES is stuff like Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc.
  • slackerwoman
    Options
    My friends daughter called a Bruce Springsteen song an "oldie but goodie" the other day and I had to set her straight!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    80's 90's and today...wow...that so sounds like a radio commercial....
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    yea, classic rock!
  • slackerwoman
    Options
    Classic rock is my favorite. Kind of scary thinking nirvana and bands in the 90's are starting to fall under that category now. Huge Pink Floyd fan too, I wasn't lucky enough to see the band play live together but I have seen Roger Waters do Darkside of the moon and the Wall, and both were incredible.

I saw Roger Waters "The Wall" back in the summer. Best concert ever!
  • ghostpixie
    ghostpixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Classic rock for sure! I'm only 19 but I still think it'd be classic rock.
  • MissFit0101
    Options
    Classic Rock! I'm 27.. but I consider it classic rock lol and I loooove it ;)
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have now been slapped in the face and told to "Wake UP, you are OLD!" LOL

To paraphrase John Barrymore Sr (actor) You are "not old until regrets take the place of dreams"

and yes, there is a Santa.....albeit a thinner more active jolly old guy now....(:-)>
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I was shocked this morning as I was driving to work. I was listening to a radio station that was playing Lynyrd Skynyrd, AC/DC, and the Doors etc.... Then as it went to commercial the radio station announced that they were our local only OLDIES radio station. I am only 40 years old and I have to say that there is a definite line between Classic Rock and the Oldies!! I was floored! Now in your opinion, what would you consider these groups to be???
    Yes, I would consider those classic rock groups, but I've been hearing The Doors on oldies stations since I was...well, for a long time. There's some overlap between our classic rock channel and our oldies channel, like The Eagles, Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers, etc. I don't mind that because that's how it's always been. What I DO mind is that my local oldies station (which syndicates The True Oldies Channel) has been playing 80s music. Uptown Girl? No. That is not oldies. Blasphemy. I do not accept that.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

Yes. ^This^
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    At 51 years, to me OLDIES refers to the music from the Fifties. Classic Rock is from the mid to late 60's/70's. I'm a big fan. Classic and Southern Rock from that era has been the sound track to my life. I'm still listening.
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My friends daughter called a Bruce Springsteen song an "oldie but goodie" the other day and I had to set her straight!
    Good for you!! :0)
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    oldies
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Classic rock...definitely. However, the 90's are now being lumped in with "classic rock" and I vehemently protest that! I'm only 34 & that's the stuff I listened to in HS. :grumble:

This.

It seems that the definitions of "oldies" and classic rock" are shifting. I don't like it. I'm listening to the classic rock station a couple years back and they're like "Oh hey, here's some Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins."

1994? That's classic rock? Wtf? Is 15 years the limit?