When to give up the baggy clothes.

Options

Replies

• superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am slowly replacing my fat clothes. It sucks though, my new (to me) clothes are starting to be big as well. It's why I've only really been shopping at second hand stores until I have a better idea of what size I am going to stay at.

It's a good problem to have, but it's still a very f'ing annoying problem!
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Luckily I had alot of friends who were my size before I started loosing, so I passed on my too big, and they passed on their too small to me. I am now smaller than most of their *too small* stuff so I have resorted to clearance racks, and Good will. There are things I still wear looser, and belts help but only so much.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Go to Goodwill!
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Buy a lot of funky belts!! I have a new love for belts...
  • trospert
    trospert Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly, find a really good tailor & get your old stuff taken in. Everything fits & looks better/more expensive when it's tailored for you! Then you have your clothes but they look nicer & you don't have to buy new ones! :)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I caved and hit the sale racks when none of my belts would keep my pants up and I didn't need to unbutton them to use the bathroom!!!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I pushed them as far as I could, but during the process I started dating again so it was important to have clothes that 1. fit and 2. that I felt confident in, you know?

I always had 2 pants and about 3-4 shirts on hand in the right size. I shopped at places that always have coupons (old navy, rickis, rw&co, etc) People recommend second hand but I haven't done that.

Luckily for my neighbour, she got all my next to new hand-me-downs as she is on this journey as well.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    What I have been doing is buying same pants, in my current size and a size or two smaller. Naturally baggy shirts still look ok. You can also try to shrink your clothes in the washer. Use hot water and put them in the dry on hot for a full cycle and it should shrink the clothing a bit.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I've bought a few things at resale and consignment shops. Works for the interim, until I get to a size I plan to stay at. I've also got some clothes that I previously bought that have been too small for a long time, but are now fitting, so it's kinda like getting new clothes...lol
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Still mostly wearing my 20s but they've been baggy for a long time.
    So, I bought one new pair of jeans during the summer and one new pair of cords last week in size 18s plus a new belt that goes with everything (previously I only owned a grey belt). That should hopefully get me through until I can fit into the 5 or 6 pairs of pants in size 16 that I have had in my closet for 6 years--of course I'll probably find out they are "all wrong" or too short or moth eaten or something, but...
    if I can buy size 16s, I'll go shopping. A lot of standard brands go up to 16.

BUT when I wear pants that are so baggy that the crotch is down to my knees and is really uncomfortable, I donate those right away. Don't need discomfort from having LOST weight in my life.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Find a good tailor. Way cheaper than buying all new clothes, especially if you find someone with a home business, they tend to be cheaper because they have low/no overhead.

It only works for so long though. Mine says if you can pull up enough fabric on a pair of pants that the pockets touch in the back, it is not alterable and you are better off just buying new.

Personally I love buying new clothes, going to a store and trying stuff on in smaller sizes than I used to be. It's very rewarding and motivating. And I hate wearing clothes that don't fit, I feel like it looks sloppy. Usually I get rid of something once it gets to the point where I have to keep pulling it up, or I put it on to wear one day and look in the mirror and realize it's not flattering anymore. It's expensive for sure to keep buying new stuff but I just figure I'm using all the money I used to spend going to restaurants all the time or else I justify it by saying I worked really hard to get here and deserve a reward.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Check out the thrift stores in your area. Salvation army, St Vincent DePaul etc. They have racks and racks of clothing in all sizes and styles for very little. Most are in very good condition and depending on the location of the store can have some very stylish stuff. You have to be prepared to grab what you like when you see it - but you can get a whole new wardrobe for what a piece or two will go for at the regular stores.

Some stores tend to specialize in diffident age/styles so go and brows and see what they have.
  • ChamLis88
    ChamLis88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ebay!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm wearing my same shirts but needed some new jeans. When I could pull them down without unbuttonding, it was time. Thrift stores are great. Since i gained weight, clothes sizes are all whacked out. I can fit perfectly into 3 different pants sizes, depending on the pants. Size 16, 14 & yes even now 12. So very weird. But I'm keeping one of each on the way down.

I think it's up to how you feel personally.

Does anyone have an idea of about how much weight loss would be contributed to the next size? Would you think 20 lbs or so?
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I went down 6 pant sizes in the last 8 months. And I have to dress up everyday for work. So, I hit the local thrift stores and I dig and dig, each time I go. I end up with some fantastic outfits and usually only for a couple of bucks a piece. I may never shop retail again, now that I have discovered this :)
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I plan to get a whole new wardrobe in second hand stores. Recycle is the way to go nowadays x
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've bought a few things at resale and consignment shops. Works for the interim, until I get to a size I plan to stay at. I've also got some clothes that I previously bought that have been too small for a long time, but are now fitting, so it's kinda like getting new clothes...lol

Me, too. That's fun.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    Options
    I'm buying from second hand stores for now until I get the weight I want to be. But I have bought a few new things and I have to tell you they fit better (especially jeans) than the ones I get in thrift stores but tops are fine. Although I'm a little disappointed when they get too baggy because I did buy them new (sale price of course) I am wearing a belt with them now and I have never been able to wear a belt (always felt too fat to wear a belt). One more thing when I started buying the right size people really could tell I lost weight then.
  • gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've been going to Goodwill. I bought 2 pair of jeans, a blouse, 1 packers shirt, 1 brewers shirt and a new ($35) sweater with the tags still on for $31. I still have my baggy clothes though because I love them.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My friends and I call it GW Boutique (Goodwill) - love going there if we have a lot of time to look. You can find some nice items. Someone else's junk is anothers treasure!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!