Article Says Protein Shakes Not Good for dieters

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    But how much is too much? That's the question....

Anyone?

Good point! To me excessive protein would be more than 200g, but that number could be very different for someone else. I think this article would only really affect paleo dieters and Atkins folks. If you are getting in enough carbs, it is impossible to maintain your calorie deficit AND eat "too much" protein.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For those interested in the source, this seems to be it
    http://www.tesh.com/story/health-and-well-being-category/skip-that-protein-shake-if-you-want-to-lose-weight/cc/6/id/23108

it's basically from a radio show - no links, references, or research, to back it up.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am on Paleo and take one shake a day in the morning and one after my workout on the days that I exercise. I have also heard about the kidney thing, and that it is hard for your body to break down more than 50g of protein at one sitting I try now to eat no more than 32 grams at one sitting. I went to have my blood looked at and they saw in my blood that I was having trouble breaking down protein. I take systemic plant enzymes and acidophilus bifidus (good bacteria) to help my digestion. Since doing that I have felt great on a high protein diet. I also make sure that I get enough carbs and healthy fats.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Clearly, practically every athlete for the last several decades and the whole strength training community, built on decades of experience and personal experimentation, are wrong.

They've all been led wrong, noone has ever run counter to the "eat moar protein" dogma, yet, or the few that have haven't talked about their success breaking from the dogma.

But this guy has seen the light. He can see it and EVERYBODY else is wrong.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    yes, that is it. short article.
    For those looking, this appears to be the link to the original article: http://www.tesh.com/story/health-and-well-being-category/skip-that-protein-shake-if-you-want-to-lose-weight/cc/6/id/23108

No studies cited, no extra details given.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    i'm only having one after I workout, 22g of protein. based on your guys advise and what I felt to be true anyway, I will continue having my shake.

i guess john tess has to keep pumping out articles every day for the show and probably does not get it right sometimes. though i find a lot of what he says to be interesting and helpful.
    You can safely eat a gram per your current body weight per day and not have any side effects at all (unless you only have one kidney and kidney disease). I have had a protein shake every morning since I started losing weight. And now that I weight lift I have one after my workout as well...many days I have a total of 75grams of protein shake mix in addition on well over 100 more grams in my regular food.

Don't worry about it. Drink your shake, it makes you feel better. You are the best judge of your body.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    John Tesh? Seriously? THAT John Tesh? The dude from Entertainment Tonight? :noway:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's ok if you go over 200 grams of protein if you get it from bacon. Bacon contains enough awesome to offset any other issues.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it can stress out your kidneys and liver if you have too much protein but 1) I'm guessing there are very few people who fall into the "too much" category and 2) I've heard that hydrating, drinking lots of water, helps support the kidneys and liver with protein increase. At the end of the day, it sounds like much ado about nothing and may also cause harm by having people cut back on already inadequate protein intake.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    But how much is too much? That's the question....
    Anyone?

I've seen over 35% of calories as protein described as "excessive". From memory on the basis that it isn't all used as protein at or above that level.

Searching for "Rabbit starvation" may yield some guidelines.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are dangerous because people automatically assume they are healthy, but most of the pre-made ones have a bunch of other crap added in. It's a matter of personal preference really. I like to eat meat and prefer not to chug down whey powder, so that's how I get my protein. Just make sure the protein powder you use is from a good source and that it fits within your calories.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It's ok if you go over 200 grams of protein if you get it from bacon. Bacon contains enough awesome to offset any other issues.

You contain a ton of awesome :D
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm still wondering why the hell anyone would go to John Tesh for diet advice.

Kenny G or Zamfir would be my top picks.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm still wondering why the hell anyone would go to John Tesh for diet advice.

Kenny G or Zamfir would be my top picks.
    I prefer Yani myself
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Options

I was half-heartedly reading this thread, but your profile picture cracked me up. I may need to steal that one. Thanks for the wake up!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

You contain a ton of awesome :D

I'd deny it, but that would be false modesty. :-)
  • annmariedap
    annmariedap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've read everyone’s reply's saying that the information is not true or bunk. BUT I have to disagree . . . . I have never in my life had kidney issues and went into acute renal failure because of to much protein in my system. My doctor was not surprised because this happens to athletes often especially when they are trying to push themselves to hard. The best thing for anyone to do is consult your doctor. Thank God that there was no permanent damage but my doctor told me that protein shakes are not the fix for losing weight or getting healthy especially if you are using them to replace meals.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    So...you have to watch your carbs, your fat, and your protein.
    There is nothing left. (:p jk)
    I have a lot of protein in my diet and it seems to be really helping me. True you can't have five protein shakes a day...(You won't be moving anything out (Sorry TMI))
    But you shouldn't want to to begin with. I have one a day after my workout to help my body rebuild.

Everything in moderation is my best advice.
    Don't try to eat a whole tub in a week and I think you will be fine. :)
    Course this is just my opinion.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thats the great thing about being an omnivore you can eat any combination of macros and a healthy body will handle it appropriately.