running at 5am?

Options
124»

Replies

• beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I too hope to start running at 5 a.m....I had to for a while because I had to be out the door for work by 7, but now I live 4 blocks from work and don't have to be there until 8:30, however as the days get shorter, I'm going to adjust my hours a bit so I'm not walking home in the dark....so I'll be getting up earlier to get my run in.
  • lizzie1030
    Options
    out of interest, for those who exercise anytime before 6am... what time do you sleep? I used to go to a bootcamp class 6am - 7am and I needed a nap by 3pm, I was always wrecked! with other commitments I really need to start exercising earlier again so just curious :)

I exercise everyday at home from 5a to 6a. I get up at 4:30 and have a cup of coffee first. Sometimes after work I need a 20 minute rest to give me the energy to cook & clean up dinner. But, I do admit that I am in bed by 9p, sometimes earlier. Also, now that my body is used to it, I usually don't sleep past 5a or 5:30a on the weekends, but it's okay because it has turned me into a morning person and I can get so much done in the morning. If I want to do something on Saturday night, I just take a longer nap in the afternoon.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Definitely run with a head lamp - it will help you avoid an ankle injury or a major accident.

Yes, I bit the dirt this morning because I didn't see the bump in the asphalt on the trail and I kicked it squarely with my right foot. I went from a 9:00 pace to no pace instantly. I actually did a nice ninja roll and just scraped my knee up a tad. No serious harm done. The biggest loser here was my phone. It worked for about 2 minutes after the fall but then it stopped and hasn't worked since. I didn't even think the phone hit the ground. It was in my amphiphod case i(http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/music/electronics/handpod-smartview) in my hand and didn't even get a scratch.

I have a headlamp but as much as I sweat that thing is going to feel nasty. I guess I need to either change my route to a more well lit area or start using a light.
  • _workforit
    Options
    If its dark at 5am when you go running (especially with winter approaching) make sure you wear reflective gear so cars can see you. If you have a dog, I would reccommend taking him/her with you for saftey reasons (you never know who is going to be lurking around the corner in the dark). Or if you don't have a dog, run with one earbud out so that you are more aware of your surroundings. Good luck!
  • DonC77
    DonC77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    out of interest, for those who exercise anytime before 6am... what time do you sleep? I used to go to a bootcamp class 6am - 7am and I needed a nap by 3pm, I was always wrecked! with other commitments I really need to start exercising earlier again so just curious :)

I fall asleep between 10 and 11pm, up at 4:30. I sit alone at a PC in my home office for my job. Staying awake in the afternoon is a big battle. Frequent quick trips for a glass of water or whatever to break the mundane quietness to wake me back up. Gotta do what ya gotta do. Just flat out no other time of the day for me to fit it in. Helps to have a bunch of friends at the gym to keep me motivated to show up. Without that I know I'd slack off. Also need a goal - like training for Warrior Dash, a mud run, something.

If I didn't go to the gym at 5am I probably wouldn't go. Far to easy to find reasons not to go when the world is in full hustle and bustle, no excuses at 5 am when most everyone is still sleeping!

Just have to find what works for you and go for it!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES! Consider buying a headlamp and some runner's mace. Do NOT run on isolated paths; keep to the streets and areas that have some activity or at least a house you can run to if need be.
    I live in a nice neighborhood. We just had a guy who was stalking picked up by the police.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    DO NOT WEAR HEADPHONES! Consider buying a headlamp and some runner's mace. Do NOT run on isolated paths; keep to the streets and areas that have some activity or at least a house you can run to if need be.

Looks like I'm breaking every rule you mentioned. I'm not worried about running alone. Ladies should be careful but I AM the boogie-man. Muuu haa haa!

I did have a tiny rabbit jump out in front of me today. I guess I need to be careful. Little thing surprised me.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I don't run outside in the dark, ever. I live in a relatively safe city and in a relatively safe area, but I watch entirely too much Law and Order: SVU and I'm paranoid lol

But if you're going to do it, don't wear headphones so you can be more aware of your surroundings, and carry pepper spray, for piece of mind if nothing else.