Gym embarrasment?

Options

Replies

• Melindajean29
    Options
    I think I've got the story of all stories. I am 34 years old and significantly overweight. I decided to go back to college for some upgrading. I need a higher GPA and some anatomy and physiology courses in order to get into an accelerated RN program. I though it would be a great idea to enroll in Exercise Science since the program offers the courses I needed and I thought I could learn some things about nutrition and exercise and lose weight. Oh, it would be so great I thought. Well, wouldn't it be obvious to a smart person that everyone else would be about 20 years old and fit as a fiddle? Well, yikes. So, now it's only been 3 weeks, I've lost about 15 lbs (though I found them since I lost them earlier this year...oops! so I'm only showing 3 lbs down right now) Anyway, I've had to run 1.5 miles, which is 3 half mile laps, and by the time I was done 2 laps, everyone else was done all 3. Some people were nice, but mostly I was humiliated! The next week we had to do a ya-yo test (basically the same as a beep test). I got to level 5. That's pretty bad, but at least I showed up and that's all that really matters. One girl got to level 13. That's 100% for the test for a female. So, the moral of the story?? Own it, get in there and do it. Who cares? I'm thinking now that it would be so awesome if I could actually lose all this weight, get totally ripped and be a personal trainer instead of a nurse. Or maybe I'll still be a nurse, but I will be a skinny nurse who can tell people the right way to be healthy. I hear running is way cheaper than blood pressure medication for the rest of your life. So cheers to you. Hit that gym! It will be so worth it. If you're not embarrassed going to Walmart overweight, don't be embarrassed going to the gym.
  • 9JANE
    9JANE Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you I felt that everyone was looking at the fat woman and that was ME . I went anyway and went to the pool where I was in the water and so was everyone else. After about a year I felt like I wasn't getting enough of a workout so I went into the gym and started using the machines of course I was still felt like evryone was watching me but after the first day it got better and now I feel bad if I don't go. I also have to go EARLY in the morning, 6:00 in the morning and there are a few people who are" regulars" and that helps too. BUT YOU ARE THERE TO WORK OUT and that is the best thing.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    The gym can be intimidating to anyone who is not perfect...and guess what none of us are perfect. If you go often enough you will simply get used to the environment and feel confident and comfortable there. Go for it.
  • Kayluh_xo
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the kind words and support, it has helped a lot. :)

I have no YMCA in my area, :c
    I live in a very small town and the closest one is about an hour away.

The only gym I have in my city is a Snap Fitness. Which is opened 24/7, so I could go as early or as late as I wanted.
    There is a curves here and I checked it out once but it didn't seem to be very innovative as I'm looking to do treadmills, and steps, and lifts, and elliptical and bicycling and maybe join a few classes :)

I have severe social anxiety and I'm more of a loaner, (half of that being so conscious of how I look) but I suppose I just have to get over this anxiety and stop making it sound so much worse then it must be.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Different gyms, different vibes.
    Some are meet markets. Some are tough guy places. Many are just places all sorts of people go to put some activity in to their lives and to improve their health.

It's a good bet that there is going to be a stinkin' ahole or 2 in every crowd...but, most people are decent. Most people won't think anything worse than "good for her, here making her life better."

So, don't assume the worst. Go get it done.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym at 320 pounds...yes it's embaressing and yes I did get stared at. However I've been going to this gym now for over a year now in the 230's and the skinny '*****es' that used to glare at me now come up and tell me how good I am doing.
    You have to remember it's not about what others think about you it's what you think about yourself. It will be hard at first but it will get better....good luck.
  • yroma
    yroma Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I suggest the local YMCA, if there's one close to you. You'd be surprised that truly all types go! Take a tour and check it out and good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Most everyone is intimidated by the gym at first. Its the same for guys walking into the free weight areas. Once you go though you will quickly get over it and realize no one there really cares. They are there to do their own thing and will either ignore you or respect you for trying. Most are even happy to help if you ask. The only time this might not be true is right around new years when the gyms are full of new people. : )

Just put your head phones in keep your head down and go to work. In a week or two it will be a second home.

This = it is the same for guys. I had the same apprehension about gyms but once I started going I realized no one cared. I mean everyone has head phones in and if you are benching 250 pounds you are not going to be thinking "damn that person is out of shape what are they doing here" when I see people a little out of shape i am always think "hell yea, you go!" I think it is great to see new people working out and caring about their health ...I mean its easy to sit around and eat ding dongs all day and drink beer..it takes real courage and motivation to get your rear off the couch and hit the gym and crush some work outs...so get out there and DO IT!
  • DJRicDoc
    Options
    Let me just say, I personally think it is so awesome to see people at the gym, working their *kitten* off, getting it done...heavy or slim.

When I think of the people at the gym who I laugh at, the ones I shake my head at...it's the trim/buff meatheads/jocks who talk 90% of the time, do a few reps, scream a bit, flex and puff up in the mirror, use the word "bro" a lot, high five all of the other meathead/jock dudes, and wear hoodies or beanies. In all the times I've been at the gym and I see someone who's obese, trying to get in shape they've always got their head in the game, getting it done and it's just awesome. I always want to go up and say, keep up the good work because it can't be easy, I know they're self conscious thinking everyone is looking at them. But, if you're heavy, and working it at the gym, trying to better yourself...when you feel like we're all looking at you, it's just because we're giving you props. Keep it up!
  • amrozes
    Options
    You know, I really felt that way too....I really struggled everytime I walked through the door with my 250+ lbs. But I was telling a co-worker, who happens to be very thin and fit, about how I felt. I told her that I wanted to have the discipline that she had some day. She looked at me and said that I had it backwards. She said that it took more discipline and self-respect for me to walk through the gym doors every day; she said it was easy for her because it was a habit. I admit that I still feel intimated walking up to the gym door, but when I get inside and realize that every minute of effort is making me healthier and stronger (and hopefully eventually skinnier), I hold my head up high, turn on my ipod and get involved in taking care of me. I am meeting people and learning things that I could never do with videos and exercise games, and so I am very glad that I stepped through those doors! Good luck to you!
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I felt the same way back when I went, my advice is to just do it, and you might find out it's not that hard. I personally would never go to a big gym. If the size of the gym isn't that big then you might find it peaceful and enjoyable. Half the times I went to mine there was nobody there, or maybe 2 or 3. Alot of the time they were big like me too, and it actually made it even better.

Also the bonus to that is you got the whole gym to yourself in terms of machines.
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Get the membership and GO!
    Don't worry about what others are doing or thinking.
    Get there, sweat it out, and leave.
    I workout alone, I used to be embarrassed that I wasn't strong as all the others.
    Then I realized it doesn't matter what everyone else can lift or how long or hard they go.
    They are not ME. I am the only one responsible for my progress, what they can do and what I DO are two different things.
    I am not ashamed that a man/ women can out *insert exercise* me.I will get there on my own time. AND YOU WILL TOO.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We all have our own insecurities and bring them to the gym with us. 'I don't lift heavy enough.' 'That guy/girl looks like Mr./Ms. Olympia; I look like Olive Oyl.'
    Can't let it stop you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think they created "Curves" just for that reason, for women who fear how they will be looked at while at the gym etc, join that for a while then when you feel secure enough then join places like 24hr, planet fitness,fitness connection etc.

Curves doesn't give you the same kind of workout you can get elsewhere. Weights are not adjustable. I suppose it is okay for someone starting out, but you really cannot individualize your workout there.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I goto the gym all the time LA Fitness. No issues I can think of. Normally people are at the gym doing their work out routines. Only time they'll say something really if your hogging a machine for too long or they need a spot. I recommend joining a gym best thing you can do. Try to find one with a swimming pool which is awesome.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    **Hope I'm posting this in the right area**

I've been considering getting a gym membership but have been reluctant on it for quite some time. I have my own elliptical at home and fitness games I do the kinect and workout videos, and I walk and roller skate but I still want to do more, that's why I wanted to get a gym membership. However, being bigger(283) I feel like I'd be one huge target there that doesn't fit in. I know everyone's suppose to be there for the same reason, working out, and getting or staying healthy, but still. I'm very self conscious and was just wondering if there was anyone else who use to or does felt the same way that went ahead and did it anyway and how it went.

:)

Awww, this made me tear up a little. Ok, so I cry easily...

I just got home from my gym and there are always people there of all sizes. There was a gentleman there tonight who, if I had to guess, was probably close to 400 pounds. I just wanted to give him a hug and tell him I was so inspired by him! (I didn't though, promise, lol). I've seen a number of people at my gym who fit that category. There are also the super-fit thin people. I've yet to hear anyone make any rude comments about anyone, regardless of their apparent fitness level. If you can convince yourself to get in the door at least once, you might find it isn't as bad as you think it will be. In fact, most people in there avoid eye contact and just get their workout on.

It took me awhile to work up my courage to get over to free weights and trying squatting and things like that. I'd watch from the treadmill (all the super-fit hot people) and imagine myself squatting down and being unable to get back up or tipping over backwards or something lol. Then I would imagine how everyone in the gym would point and laugh and take pics or videos which they would upload to youtube and then the video goes viral and everyone I've ever known in my life watches it and in this fantasy everyone-I've-ever-known-in-my-life is ALSO super-fit and hot and oh how they laugh and laugh at that loser (me) trying to squat :sad: Finally just went over there and did it and no one paid me the slightest bit of attention. :bigsmile:
  • Menaha233
    Options
    I was really self conscious at first going to the gym alone but the more I went the more I noticed everyone was
    into their own workout to notice anyone else. What worked for me was starting out going to the women only
    section of my gym first. I felt self conscious but a little less self conscious being in that section. It also helped
    that I would bring things to entertain myself with and distract me while I was on the treadmill or elliptical - ie:
    shows on my iPad, magazines or music. It made the time go by faster and it also made me ease up by not
    paying too much attention to all the peripherals. Your time at the gym is just that your time. After a while of
    doing this it actually became a non-issue. I enjoy my time at the gym and actually prefer to go alone
    as I feel I am more productive. Hope that helps a little. :)
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    My gym is pretty much male dominated which initially really bothered me! I just put my iPod on and get on with my workout in my own little bubble. We're all there for the same thing and the fact that I'm usually the only girl in the gym doesn't cross my mind now.
    Others are that focused on what they do that they probably won't even acknowledge anyone coming in and working out. And if they do then they will have nothing but respect for you for actually taking the step and joining a gym and changing your lifestyle for the better!
    Wish you all the luck in the world. :flowerforyou:
  • SHardyMA
    Options
    The best thing I can say is to look around at different gyms if you have more than one that is within a reasonable distance. I was always freaked out by the thought of walking into a gym until I found one where I felt comfortable and saw other people like me that we heavy and trying to loose the weight. Try to keep in mind that if you stick to your goals and loose the weight like you want to, what will stick out in other peoples minds is how hard you worked and how much you accomplished, not picture you the same as when you first started going.
  • runnerblues86
    Options
    I am also concerned about the gym. I work out at home or outside, but it will be too cold for that soon. There is some great advice here for people like me.