Siberian Husky Lovers/Owners

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I have one. She's getting really old though. She going to be 13 this winter. The vet can't believe it. She's not very social anymore, due to her age. I think she's getting a little deaf. But she can still run like crazy when she wants to.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I saw "Husky" and this came to mind.

husqvarna004.jpg

Then I saw that it was about the dog. Not disappointed! I love Huskies! My Mother has a Leonburger. I love giant dogs. So cuddly. :D
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    me me me!!!, the most beautiful breed in the whole universe!! I used to have one, Alasska, but she passed away in 2006 at the age of 14 years old :( I still miss my baby!!!
    I wanna have a husky again, but cant right now in the place im living.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    One of my dogs has some husky in her, does that count?

I love her to bits, she loves the cold and forces me to get outside when its -40C.
  • KellyMirth
    Options
    We had one growing up in Vermont, her name was Chena (after the river in Alaska). I've always wanted another one but I live in the desert now and that just seems cruel to not have them able to play in the snow. Love the breed though.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I love her to bits, she loves the cold and forces me to get outside when its -40C.

I have the world's only Jamaican husky. She'll stay hours outside in the summer, lying down in the sun and she refuses to go outside in the winter. She'll literally pee in front of the front door unless I bring her down. She hates snow.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I must have done something wrong with my huskies because people seem to love the breed. I have two females and based on my experience, I will never, ever get another husky.

The older one is almost 7 years old. She is CRAAAAZY when company comes over. She jumps all over them, howling. She just loves company, but most people, unless you are a dog lover, do not want that crazy attention when they come to my house. Needless to say, I don't have company over much. She also is extremely posessive with her "treats". If it is something she is not supposed to have, I'm likely to get bit trying to take it from her if I don't take it the right way. I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter who doesn't understand that when the dog has my daughter's toys, she can't just take it from her. Then, the other day, I accidentally kinda stepped on her tail when she was laying under the bed and had it sticking out and she growled at me! She can be loving sometimes, but it has to be under her terms.

The other one is 4 years old. This dog has the worst anxiety I have ever seen. She pants constantly and will poop and pee in the house the minute you leave. If you stay home with her all day, she doesn't mess in the house at all. She once shut herself in the bathroom when nobody was home and freaked out so much that she tore and tore at the door until she almost got through the other side. We replaced the door and she did it again. All this and she is on prozac, it helps, but she is still nuts. And she is an escape artist. She is constantly looking for ways to get out of the fenced in back yard. She can be a very sweet dog, but she doesn't like my daughter either.

I don't trust either one of these dogs with my daughter and I have to constantly be on alert that they are not left in the same room with her. We had all of these issues before I had my daughter but it has gotten worse, I suppose because they are jealous of her. If you can't tell, these dogs are a huge source of stress in my life. They do have their good traits and I love them, but I will NEVER get another husky based on my experiences.
  • HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Options

of course, join the club
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh i love them!, where do you live????????
  • HuskyMan3
    Options
    I must have done something wrong with my huskies because people seem to love the breed. I have two females and based on my experience, I will never, ever get another husky.

The older one is almost 7 years old. She is CRAAAAZY when company comes over. She jumps all over them, howling. She just loves company, but most people, unless you are a dog lover, do not want that crazy attention when they come to my house. Needless to say, I don't have company over much. She also is extremely posessive with her "treats". If it is something she is not supposed to have, I'm likely to get bit trying to take it from her if I don't take it the right way. I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter who doesn't understand that when the dog has my daughter's toys, she can't just take it from her. Then, the other day, I accidentally kinda stepped on her tail when she was laying under the bed and had it sticking out and she growled at me! She can be loving sometimes, but it has to be under her terms.

The other one is 4 years old. This dog has the worst anxiety I have ever seen. She pants constantly and will poop and pee in the house the minute you leave. If you stay home with her all day, she doesn't mess in the house at all. She once shut herself in the bathroom when nobody was home and freaked out so much that she tore and tore at the door until she almost got through the other side. We replaced the door and she did it again. All this and she is on prozac, it helps, but she is still nuts. And she is an escape artist. She is constantly looking for ways to get out of the fenced in back yard. She can be a very sweet dog, but she doesn't like my daughter either.

I don't trust either one of these dogs with my daughter and I have to constantly be on alert that they are not left in the same room with her. We had all of these issues before I had my daughter but it has gotten worse, I suppose because they are jealous of her. If you can't tell, these dogs are a huge source of stress in my life. They do have their good traits and I love them, but I will NEVER get another husky based on my experiences.

I am sorry for your experience with them. I have not heard a lot of what u are describing going on. I have not had that problem with mine, but of course all dogs are different. Well I hope things get better with them
  • HuskyMan3
    Options
    I live in Kansas City area
  • macisbac
    Options
    I have 4 huskies. My wife who is also on here (lat100) has posted some pics earlier in this thread.

Feel free to add me :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My wife(rackie515) and I have a 5 year old, Blaze. Feel free to add us. I will post pics when I get a chance.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I don't even want to imagine the shedding with 3!!! Dog hair is part of : my wardrobe, my food, my home decoration... and I only have one!

Huskies are the best! My girl is just the best dog in the world!

Its not dog hair its a designer accent that adds ambiance!
  • macisbac
    Options

Sorry to hear you have had trouble with your Huskies but why on earth is she on Prozac, was that prescribed by a vet?! If so, change your vet! Drugs to control dogs is only masking issues rather than actually dealing with them. Prozac is known to cause an escalation in the bad behaviour rather than calm them down. Have you seen the side effects of Prozac given to dogs?..... one of them is hyperactivity!

What you have described sounds like you are not in control of the environment hence the behaviour you are experiencing. However, it is something that can be worked on and sorted. Huskies are very strong willed animals and they need to know, in no uncertain terms, who is boss. In the absence of authority they will run amock, period! The issues don't sound that bad in all fairness and by adopting certain techniques you will be amazed at the difference. I recommend you do a search for a 'dog listener' in your area and get a consultation, we use the methods they use and they work a treat and needs you to only to follow some simple steps consistently and calmly. Diet could also be contributing to any hyperactivity in the dogs, if you are feeding them food that is high in protein and full of additives then perhaps try changing to food with natural ingredients is a way to go.

If you have any questions, let me know. FYI - I am not a dog behaviourist or an 'expert' however we work closely with a Husky rescue organisation so see these comments quite a lot when people are having trouble with their huskies.

I hope this helps in some way?
  • skolvikes5
    Options
    Three dogs, one Siberian Husky named Cyrus. Don't tell the other two, but he's by far my favorite, shhhhhhh.
  • macisbac
    Options

I don't even want to imagine the shedding with 3!!! Dog hair is part of : my wardrobe, my food, my home decoration... and I only have one!

Huskies are the best! My girl is just the best dog in the world!

Its not dog hair its a designer accent that adds ambiance!

lol, yeah, when our 4 blow their coats, which is normally at the same time, husky hair becomes the new fashion and the new diet :)
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    Options
    She passed away last sunday, was 13 years old :frown:
    HeidiInTheSnow.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg

I am so sorry. She was beautiful.

I have had dogs in my life since I left home at 18. I was not allowed pets as a child.
    I have not owned a Huskey, but one of my 'babies' was a giant Malamute named MATEY. He lived until he was 8 years old. They have such a short life span! I have also had a Dobermann, a German Shepherd, an Aussie Kelpie (all now departed -- all died of old age). My current babies are an Australian Staffordshire Bull Terrier and two 'ditch puppy' sisters: one looks like she is part coyote and the other has dobermann markings.
  • macisbac
    Options
    She passed away last sunday, was 13 years old :frown:
    HeidiInTheSnow.jpg
    IMG_2488.jpg

Awww. sorry to hear that. Another beautiful Husky makes her way over the Rainbow Bridge. Run free :)
  • Skellingtonx
    Skellingtonx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I my alaskan malamute but we can pretend he is a husky lol. Im actually looking for a husky now to give him a play buddy :)