Crock Pot

Options
13»

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    It's the real deal....dutch oven, fire pit, gathering firewood kind of camping. That's all we know how to do.

No smores....:grumble: Unless I make them a "treat".
    Any more dessert (besides just fruit) recipes would be AWESOME if anyone has any!
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    The favorite around here is to save the bone from the holiday ham and throw it into a soup. Our mini crock pot isn't big enough for leftovers!

Ham bone soup

1 ham bone
    1/2 cup leftover ham, cubed
    1 cup mixed veggies... carrots, corn, zucchini, onion, peas
    1 can chicken broth
    1 cup water... or to the top of the crock
    1 bay leaf
    season to taste... garlic salt, pepper, sea salt, cayenne pepper

Cover and cook on LOW 8-10 hours. Serves 4. Double the recipe for larger crock pots.
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    It's the real deal....dutch oven, fire pit, gathering firewood kind of camping. That's all we know how to do.

I'm with you on that! Only way to go for some real smoky flavors!

I love to make corn on the cob. Leave the husk on and it will steam the corn naturally.

We do alot of kabobs....
    tomato, zuccini, onion, potoato, green pepper... diced and skewered
    drizzle them in olive oil mixed with basil, cumin, and pepper.

The best is bringing some maseca and making corn torillas from scratch. We throw them on the grill until browned and fill them with lemon-basil chicken or carne asada!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    FashionKitten: I have never made homemade tortillas, is it hard?
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    It's actually really easy if you buy the Maseca. You could make them completely from scratch and grind the corn but that's alot of time and know how.... :tongue:

All you do is follow the water to Maseca radio listed on the bag. Form the dough into little balls and press flat between 2 pieces of waxed paper (waxed paper is very important!) I use the bottom of a sauce pan to help evenly squish them flat. Then they're ready to grill or fry.

Personally I prefer making my own... those packaged tortillas have a completely different flavor.
  • RunningRatty
    RunningRatty Posts: 161
    Options
    Really easy...chicken breast with salsa...
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Fashion: I will so have to try this...my inner cook is curious now!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Fashion: I will so have to try this...my inner cook is curious now!
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm trying a new crock pot recipe tonight that I made up, i'll let you know tommorow if it is any good

I cut up 2 chicken breasts and put them in the crockpot with ketchup, honey, vinegar and hot sauce(optional), it should give it a sweet and sour taste. I also put in mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, and cauliflour) and I will serve it over brown rice.
  • nmonkey
    nmonkey Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm trying a new crock pot recipe tonight that I made up, i'll let you know tommorow if it is any good

I cut up 2 chicken breasts and put them in the crockpot with ketchup, honey, vinegar and hot sauce(optional), it should give it a sweet and sour taste. I also put in mixed vegetables (carrots, broccoli, and cauliflour) and I will serve it over brown rice.

So....how was it??
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

So....how was it??

It was great and easy to make
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    That sounds good. I have a soft spot for sweet and sour!
  • mrflibbleisvryx
    mrflibbleisvryx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Chicken Parm in the crockpot

6 chicken breast halves
    1 jar reduced fat or low calorie pizza or spaghetti sauce
    Fat free mozzarella cheese (to taste)
    Fat free or reduced fat grated Parmesan (to taste)

Put chicken in bottom of crockpot and season how you like. Since I use a low cal sauce which doesn't have as much flavor as the regular stuff, I rub some Italian seasoning into the chicken. Pour jar of sauce evenly over chicken. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours. During last 15 minutes, top with cheeses, to taste. The original recipe calls for a whole slice of mozzarella per chicken breast and a few tbsp of parmesan, but to control the fat and calories I use the grated and shredded varieties and put just enough on to get the taste. You really don't need a whole lot of cheese anyway.

The original recipe also called for putting the chicken through egg (or egg whites) and then bread crumbs, then a light saute in a pan to brown the crust before putting into the crockpot. I usually skip this step to cut out calories. Plus, there's a lot of flavor as is. But you can pretty much do it however you want.