How many calories are you guys eating in a day?

Options
What are your opinions on how many calories you should be eating? A lot of people say not to eat under 1200. What are your opinions and experiences?

Oh, and feel free to add me for motivation and whatnot! :)

Replies

• katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    TDEE minus 10-20%
    It's different for everyone based on their height, weight, age, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    TDEE minus 10-20%

This.

Personally... I net about 2500 when I'm trying to gain and 1900 when I'm trying to lose.

• emzypemzy93
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1200 cals per day.. It might not sound like alot but I eat mostly whole foods so I get to eat more than what people may think!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1200 cals per day.. It might not sound like alot but I eat mostly whole foods so I get to eat more than what people may think!

In volume maybe, but 1200 cals is still 1200 cals.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    TDEE minus 10-20%

This.
    Yep. Read the first post in this thread and do the calculations Dan sets out for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    1400 to 1800 most days.
    Doing ok with it
  • 2000 calories! Many times in the past, I have seen awesome results on 1200-1400 calories a day, but it wore on me and I was hungry a lot. This way, I'm still in a slight deficit, and... I'm not hungry. Anti-binge! Yay!
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1300 plus exercise calories, which vary but usually give me at least 200 more :)
  • ElissaMelody
    Options
    Well, I'm slightly anorexic... I mean... I don't eat much during the day. I try and MyFitnessPal has been helping me do that. I put inn my data, 325lbs-goal 110lbs- sedetary exercise- 5'3- 18 y\o- goal to loose 2 lbs a week, and it says I can eat 1780 calories, which is very surprising to me. I don't doubt that MyFitnessPal is incorrect, my anorexic mind just can't concieve how much that is! lol. Well, yesterday was my first offical day of using the app and I seriously tried to eat so much; I was SO full at the end of the day. I ended up eating a total of 777 calories - 184 exercise = 593 calories. And the app was STILL telling me that I wasn't eating enough! Oh well. Maybe I'll end up loosing more than I expected? Check out my food diary and give me some tips if I really am not eating enough, please! :)
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    2000 - 2700 kcal. My maintenance, through trial and error, is around 2450kcal + exercise calories. If my fitbit was working properly I'd be trying to keep to that, but it thinks I weigh 369kg instead of 58kg, so I can't do that!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    TDEE is roughly 2800 for me. I cut between 2200-2400 and I bulk around 3000-3100.
  • shedpoundsforgood
    Options
    i'm on 1200 lost 2lb this week whoop whoop xx
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    At the moment, I'm eating about 1500 + exercise calories (so 1500-1900) to lose. I had dropped down to about 1400 + exercise cals, but I think I was losing too quickly for the weight I am now. My TDEE maintenance is roughly 1650 + exercise calories.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Going for 1700 normally. This week I'm having a diet break and eating at least 2000. Hit nearly 2400 the other day. :happy:

Funnily, I don't appear any flabbier.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm slightly anorexic... I mean... I don't eat much during the day. I try and MyFitnessPal has been helping me do that. I put inn my data, 325lbs-goal 110lbs- sedetary exercise- 5'3- 18 y\o- goal to loose 2 lbs a week, and it says I can eat 1780 calories, which is very surprising to me. I don't doubt that MyFitnessPal is incorrect, my anorexic mind just can't concieve how much that is! lol. Well, yesterday was my first offical day of using the app and I seriously tried to eat so much; I was SO full at the end of the day. I ended up eating a total of 777 calories - 184 exercise = 593 calories. And the app was STILL telling me that I wasn't eating enough! Oh well. Maybe I'll end up loosing more than I expected? Check out my food diary and give me some tips if I really am not eating enough, please! :)
    If you really want to consume more calories (which is definitely recommended), but can't stomach more food at the moment, try eating more calorie-dense foods such as seeds, nuts, nut butters, oils (cook with or add to salads), avocados, cheese etc. Stop eating reduced calories and reduced fat food, switch to full fat dairy for example. You can also drink your calories in milk, nut milks, protein shakes, smoothies etc.

If you really think you have an eating disorder, my main "tip" would be to seek treatment for it now. :flowerforyou:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    TDEE is about 2300, currently eating 2100 Monday through Friday to give me more wiggle room on weekends when I don't log my food.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    If you really want to consume more calories (which is definitely recommended), but can't stomach more food at the moment, try eating more calorie-dense foods such as seeds, nuts, nut butters, oils (cook with or add to salads), avocados, cheese etc. Stop eating reduced calories and reduced fat food, switch to full fat dairy for example. You can also drink your calories in milk, nut milks, protein shakes, smoothies etc.

If you really think you have an eating disorder, my main "tip" would be to seek treatment for it now. :flowerforyou:

^^^ What she said. Even though you have lots to lose, you can still become malnourished and ill if you're not eating right. Yes, there are people, like those who've had weight loss surgery, who eat that low while they're losing, but it's temporary, medically supervised and they're meticulous about nutrition.
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I'm usually just under 1200 a day. I'm losing steadily, feel great and am not hungry. I'm not eating rice, pasta or breads, so my calories are from protein, dairy, fruits and veggies. It's not for everyone, but is working well for me.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Maintaining at my TDEE of 2000-2200; I lose with 1900 but I'm highly active.
  • AmbushReality
    AmbushReality Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just used the "In place of a road map" post (thanks for the link :) ) to calculate my target calories and apparently I should be eating 2000 calories/day to lose weight. Does this sound right...it seems very high to me. Lately I've been trying to eat 1500 cals/day and this week I worked out 5 days (mostly cardio) and haven't lost a single pound. I've been on a plateau for a long time now. I'm hoping maybe this increase in calories will help get me losing again?

Anyone been following the "20% below TDRR" method and exercising and losing weight? Side note: MFP says I will lose 0.4 lbs/week eating this many calories :/ is MFP inaccurate or will I really only lose that much eating 20% below TDEE? Thanks :).