Are you around 50? How much exercise can you do?

Options

Replies

• Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and just starting (yet again!) a new 10-week weight loss program on my Concept2 indoor rowing machine. I have not much to lose but I'm more into getting myself toned up and getting a wee bit fitter than what I am at the moment. 3 times a week with various intensity and I also try to do an hour of mderate walking once or twice a week. So...we shall see..:happy:
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    :happy: * oops having a senior moment here...how can I delete this entry..? *
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    please add me if your around this age group....
  • macfie54
    Options
    Why are you exercising intensely? More than 30 minutes a day will have a negative effect, that is medically proven. exercise 10 minutes one day, 20 the next, then 30 and then back to only 10. build up, go back down, otherwise you put too much stress on your body. good luck.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    At 50 I am running 5 days a week and lifting two days a week. I feel great but I did have to work up to it. Hang in there~It can be done!
  • angiemaritza
    Options
    I am 57 the same thing happens to me. Although, besides going to the gym for about 50 mins at 6 am I do work 60 hours a week, but still in my 40's I could do both and not get as tire.
  • kimharper13
    Options
    I will be 55 in November. I started exercising in the beginning of August. I started out walking 15 minutes every day and gradually built it up to an hour and a half (5 miles 6 days/week). However, during one of my walks I got a stress fracture in my tibia thanks to my osteoporosis. That ended my walking so I had to find other ways that did not stress my bones and joints so much. So now I swim for an hour and a half 6 days a week. I work out for 30 minutes with my trainer at my gym three days a week and ride the stationary bike for an hour 4 days a week. Like everything you have to gradually work into things and find the exercises that work best for your own body. It might be a trial and error thing until you find what works for you. :wink:
  • angiemaritza
    Options
    Congratulations, that is my goal 40 pounds I have lost 8 pounds in about 5 weeks.
  • angiemaritza
    Options
    There is always hope. I am 50 pounds overweight, quit smoking after 40 years, had a very bad car accident in 2011 and had 6 epidorals shot put in me, the cortisol in it makes you put an weight like a bolloon. I went back to the Gym in august, Iam not doing every day excesises but I feel much better I have lost 8 pounds since then.
  • angiemaritza
    Options
    Thank you for that note. I was feeling bad that sometimes I need to take a couple of days off in between a Gym visit. But as I read along other people stories it is a normal things it seems.
  • shay0425
    Options
    As others have said, you have to listen to what your body is telling you. I am 56, have RA and have only been doing this for about a month now. In the beginning, I was trying to exercise like I did when I was 30. I ended up in a lot of pain and it set me back 3-4 days. Now I just do what I know I can do such as walking and have just found that I can do some Yoga. Start out slow and add to it as you get back in shape.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am 49. I am stronger now than at any time in my adult life. I work out 3-4 times per week with Jillian Michaels and just walk the other days. When I started Jillian, it was difficult to do modified push ups, now I can do regular push ups and more. If you told me when I was 47 that I would be working out several times a week and sticking with it, I would have told you that you were nuts.

I agree with the suggestion that you fuel your workouts better. You do not have to starve to see results, in fact you will see better results when you are giving your body the proper energy.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Turned 50 this month... I do at least 6 days of walking 3.5 miles in 1 hour. I've also started adding a 2.5 mile walk in the am..at a little slower pace. I do a zumba class once a week and use the WII Zumba 3 times a week for 20 min. Just started the Your Shape for WII and plan on doing that 3 times a week for 15 min. Also have 2 flights of stairs in my house that require my going up and down several times a day.

smokinme-1.jpg
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others and listen to your body. We are all individuals after all :) Happy exercising!!

^^^ This!! I'm coming up 65 and I walk, walk, walk. I stop when I get tired and take a day off when I need it. I'll get there in my own good time.... :wink:
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It is a question of fitness, and you will get better for sure. I was 50 last April and regularly exercise every day and burn over 1000 cals. I have 2 Jack Russells, and have to take them out twice a day across the fields, that's about 500 down, then I go for a walk by myself, which includes intervals of jogging. I'm in the gym this week because the weather's bad, and will be there every day. I am 11.5lbs from goal, after which I will moderate the routines. Very best of luck, and friend me if you'd like any encouragement...

David
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You must do what is right for you.

My husband is 60 and still waterskis and downhill skis every chance he gets. I am 53 with RA so I walk and do yoga stretches. We are all different and only you know how your body feels at the end of the day.

Good luck.
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 56, 5'9" and have been physically active most of my life. I started walking for stress relief 2 years ago and have built up my walking routine to 3-4 miles at a very, very brisk pace 5 times a week. I substitute the treadmill for the outdoor walk on days when the weather isn't cooperating. I also do some strength training with 10 lb. dumbbells at home for 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. The key is to find something that works for you, something you enjoy doing and doesn't seem like it's a chore to do.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I'll be 54 in December and I strive to work out 6 days a week. Strength for three days, cardio (HIIT) for three days and yoga wherever I can squeeze it in. I've found that upping my protein and eating all my calories back (and then some on the days I'm famished) have been a huge help keeping my stamina and strength up. Just remember, everyone is different. Listen to your body, rest when your body says it needs rest, eat when it tells you it needs fuel, and find something that you enjoy doing so much that it doesn't feel like work. Enjoy the journey!
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i'm also 47 and have same problem but at same time am finding the more i do theless sore i am for minimum stuff like grocery shopping withmom once a month but i wont lie i do still get pretty sore then as well. alot of it have found to be alot like my moms problem the weight carrying around she has found at night if she puts her excess tummy on the bathroom counter her back doesnt hurt as much and i found that to be true of my hurts coming fromthe excess being carried in the front but we got to keep on keeping on we will get there
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    63 - bad knees, heel pain one foot, ball of foot pain on the other. I do the Tony Little Gazelle an hour a day, and different strength training DVDs 20 to 30 minutes - 6 days a week.