I really think that I need serious help

Options
124»

Replies

• mshoneysmile7
    mshoneysmile7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The great thing is that you realize that a support system, like the people on MFP, is beneficial to you on your weightloss journey. I was never skinny. I looked my best when I was 180lbs, pre baby. My advice would be to reach out to your MFP friends and post your thoughts frequently. LOG EVERYTHING... Even the cheats (so that you can see when you can improve)... Add as many friends as you can that are ready and willing to support you on your journey. It is also good to support others, see what they're doing for exercise, and check out meal ideas. Surrounding yourself with people that will encourage you is a great way of keeping you focused. I am almost sure that the weight did not just appear over night, and it will not go away naturally that way. It's HARD, but what you have to gain from staying true to your goal and journey will be worth the fight. I am going through the SAME EXACT thing that you're going through... I have cheat days that make me feel TERRIBLE... I haven't been working out lately... I've taken the wrong route along my journey a couple of times... But then I post about my slip ups and get the encouragement to continue on. Another thing that's been helping me is taking before and after photos every now & then (maybe monthly). The scale can be an EVIL LIL THING because it doesn't wanna budge, but the photos of your progress won't lie. You don't even have to post them, just keep them for you to see when you're feeling blue about your progress. I am going to add you if you don't mind. Good luck! :smile:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    you sound like you have my problem. I'm whats called an emotional eater lol. I don't know that i necessarily feel that eating will make me 'happy', but somewhere in my head i've equated eating with comfort/feeling better.

I actually took a self assesment test on caloriecount.com. (not really plugging the site as i find this one easier to use but if you take thier quiz you might find it helpful). I guess on some level i always knew i was an 'emotional eater', but just seeing that result in a objective test made it more real. And while knowing it doesn't make it stop, it does make it a little easier to handle.

Like before if something happend, good or bad, i might chow down and not really even think about it till i'm done. Then i'd look back and think "i wasn't in anyway hungry. Hell, i wasn't even enjoying the food after the first bag of oreos'. lol yes, i've eaten entire bags of oreos in one sitting... and kept going. I really think it was the emotional factor that caused me (and continues to cause me) to stuff food in my mouth, even after my stomach hurts from eating so much.

Now I at least have a chance of identifying whats happening before i start eating. Where as before it was something that it almost seemed like i had no controll over, like an addictive compulsion almost, now I feel like i have more of a choice. So right there, its like i've improved my chances of not compulively eating by perhaps 50%.

I've also noticed that once i slip, and i feel guilty... its like i deside i've already screwed the day up and i go buck wild. I think it would really help if you could just indulge (even when i know i shouldn't) but not guilt myself like crazy. Because the guilt just makes me eat more lol. easier said then done of course.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    sorry, posted same post twice and couldn't figure out how to delete it
  • kareann57
    kareann57 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You are using the food, you feel to comfort you! Yes a lot of us do it. We are emotional eaters and we can change this habit! I've read we think of food as our best friend that makes us feel good (for the moment) never talks back, never judges, will be there for us but we can be our own best friend!! It is for our health! I can tell you for a fact that weight is hard on the body in so many ways! Your young and can do this! I think Vitamin D can change your outlook too. Like they say focus on one day at a time. There are many foods that fit into our plans. If you overeat one day, well tomorrow is a new day! Life is not perfect and neither are we! After the first few days it gets easier to do and your not as hungry. If I want something I will plug it in here and see how many calories then many times think I will have something else and I can have tow things for less calories then one or have part of something you really are craving! YOU can do this!!
  • sunnygirl19
    sunnygirl19 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The best advice I was ever given was "Dont take it a day at a time. Take it a meal at a time". If you eat over your limit, learn from it and make better choices next meal! I used to be an all or nothing person. Either the day was perfect or it wasnt and I ate what I wanted becuase I already messed up. Also, dont be so hard on yourself. :)
  • sadein
    Options
    Someone already said this but I want to re-emphasize it, find a "face to face" support group. While this site can be helpful and supportive, there are many people that still have serious issues with food and give bad advice. Food can be used just like drugs to make us feel better and mask our emotions, to deal with it you need to use the same tools as someone with a drug or alcohol problem.

So, my advice is
    keep up the good work, you've made a good start
    find a support group, ie weight watchers, over-eaters anon, etc.
    find other activities(healthy ones) that give you pleasure
    don't be controlled by your food, take control of your life
    do something that makes you feel good about yourself
    set short-term goals so you can constantly feel successful
    we all have value and being thin does not give you that value, you already are valuable
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hate the word "diet"!! Don't look at it as, "I'm dieting" cause that'll make you feel deprived, and lead to you cheating when you do eat. You need to eat clean, and healthy. Watch your portions, and log every little thing, that way when you see it on here, you'll be more aware of what you put in your body. Make changes, stick to them, and use people on here for support!!! If you have a bad meal, or bad day, drink a glass of water and move on, don't wallow in the fact you slipped up ;)
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Don't stress 10 calories

Listen to the man...(he has a gun)!
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh and find something to fill the gap of boredom, working out is great for that, walking, reading, just something that entertains your brain besides food!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    If you overeat one day, well tomorrow is a new day!

If I want something I will plug it in here and see how many calories then many times think I will have something else and I can have tow things for less calories then one or have part of something you really are craving! YOU can do this!!

I think that is very good advice. You can lose many battles but still win the war.

Doing sort of a 'test run', logging something you are thinking of eating and seeing if it fits in (or possibly coming up with alternatives) is a great idea. I'd say that if you do this, you can indulge twice a week, maybe everyday, and as long as you come in at or under your calorie goal (and you've eaten otherwise health during the day/week) then your good and you should still meet your goals. And you are also training yourself to eat health in a way that is sustainable for the long term. If you can eat a donut now and then and still lose its going to feel a lot less like a 'diet'.
  • Fox_889
    Fox_889 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It is about your attitude! Being pregnant was enough weight gain for me to have to lose, I can't imagine eating to the point of becoming obese and starting from there. It is SO uncomfortable and unhealthy to be that large. Keep a mental pic of how you want to look or even post one on the frig. This is a great site, I fine it very helpful to stay in check! I saw a woman the other day trying to get into her pickup truck and she literally had to throw her belly in first and it gave her enough momentum to hoist the rest of herself in. That will NEVER EVER happen to me! Have enough respect for yourself, keep things in moderation and enjoy life!