Body Mass Calculator question

Options
I have been using the following tool to calculate body mass:
http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Since I recently measured myself again and took a scale weight, I decided to recalculate it. Three weeks ago it said that I had a lean body mass of 87 pounds. And now it is saying that I have 91.4 pounds of lean body mass.

So is this a failing of the calculator itself, or did I gain 4 pounds of lean mass? My waist and hips are an inch smaller, and my neck is a half inch smaller, as well as my calves and thighs being down another inch. (And two pounds lost)

I am guessing that there is a point to where a person is so fat that these calculators might just be useless. Thoughts?

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    are you working out? If so, congrats. Raising your lean body mass is a great thing - it means your body is burning more calories and you are building muscles.

If you aren't working out, I'd say its a fluke.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I did mine from that site. I am curious to see what everyone has to say.

Body Mass Index: 28.5 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.53
    Percent Body Fat: 39.1%
    Lean Body Mass: 103.9 lb

You are overweight by 9.8 kilograms (21.6 pounds)
    Minimum caloric requirements: 1821 Calories per day
    Limit your food intake to 1547 calories per day.
    to lose 2.0 pounds per month.
    Your diet should contain at least 74 grams of protein per day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    are you working out? If so, congrats. Raising your lean body mass is a great thing - it means your body is burning more calories and you are building muscles.

If you aren't working out, I'd say its a fluke.

Yes, I am doing cardio 2-3x per week and strength training 2-3x per week. I was thinking that it isn't possible to increase my lean body mass while in a calorie deficit.
  • kylemdodge
    Options
    This page may clear things up for you. It is possible to gain lean mass while losing fat. Check out the following link.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    It is possible. It isn't the most effective or quick way to build muscle, but you can. The more you are overweight, the more possible it becomes, actually.

People say it isn't possible because most of that type of research is done by/for athletes and bodybuilders. They are trying to "bulk" which means gain muscle quickly. If you are wanting to gain a lot of muscle quickly, you are better off to eat excess calories. Athletes and bodybuilders also don't typically have a lot of excess fat to get extra energy from.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This page may clear things up for you. It is possible to gain lean mass while losing fat. Check out the following link.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/

Thanks! I am definitely significantly overweight with a high body fat percentage, and I have been working on getting a gram of protein per lean body mass. This is good to hear. I was thinking the calculator must be wrong, but I fit the scenario in the article.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It is possible. It isn't the most effective or quick way to build muscle, but you can. The more you are overweight, the more possible it becomes, actually.

People say it isn't possible because most of that type of research is done by/for athletes and bodybuilders. They are trying to "bulk" which means gain muscle quickly. If you are wanting to gain a lot of muscle quickly, you are better off to eat excess calories. Athletes and bodybuilders also don't typically have a lot of excess fat to get extra energy from.

Well I learned something new today. I definitely have plenty of fat for my body to convert! :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I did mine from that site. I am curious to see what everyone has to say.

Body Mass Index: 28.5 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.53
    Percent Body Fat: 39.1%
    Lean Body Mass: 103.9 lb

You are overweight by 9.8 kilograms (21.6 pounds)
    Minimum caloric requirements: 1821 Calories per day
    Limit your food intake to 1547 calories per day.
    Your diet should contain at least 74 grams of protein per day.

Well I do not have anything to say except that you might want to try strength training if you haven't been. I have been doing push-ups, crunches, and lots of various leg lifts, in addition to using a resistance band. Apparently, it's working wonders for me in just a few weeks.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

I am guessing that there is a point to where a person is so fat that these calculators might just be useless. Thoughts?
    Hahahaha this made me laugh out loud literally!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Hahahaha this made me laugh out loud literally!

:laugh:

Well I'm not winning any Guinness records for being overweight. I will have to admit that. But when you're "off the charts" for obesity, then you have to wonder. :tongue:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lot a lot a lot of cardio lately with a very little bit of strength. Like an hour a week. I should up it! Thanks for sharing the site!
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is what mine said:

Body Mass Index: 28.4 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.60
    Percent Body Fat: 43.4%
    Lean Body Mass: 90.4 lb

You are overweight by 8.9 kilograms (19.6 pounds)
    Minimum caloric requirements: 1754 Calories per day
    Limit your food intake to 1490 calories per day.
    to lose 1.9 pounds per month.
    Your diet should contain at least 70 grams of protein per day.

See also the Caloric Restriction Calculator

I've been on a 1400 calories/day diet on here and giong under most of the time, so I wonder if that's actually hampering me. I tend to splurge up to 1600 or so calories a day on the weekend and I DO notice that most of my weight loss hits on Monday morning (I weigh every day, which I know stresses most people out on here but I like to know how my weight fluctuates, it helps me figure out when I need to be focusing on ingesting more fiber and/or water). I know my boyfriend worries I'm not eating enough, but I'm not hungry. I am full, just off of lower calorie things than I used to eat.

The 70 grams of protein per day worries me. MFP has me at 53 and I don't come close to meeting it most days. I guess it's time to seriously look into some whey for protein shakes at night. It'll get me more protein and up my calories, I guess.
  • lepow
    lepow Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump for later. I've never seen this website before!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This is what mine said:

Body Mass Index: 28.4 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.60
    Percent Body Fat: 43.4%
    Lean Body Mass: 90.4 lb

You are overweight by 8.9 kilograms (19.6 pounds)
    Minimum caloric requirements: 1754 Calories per day
    Limit your food intake to 1490 calories per day.
    to lose 1.9 pounds per month.
    Your diet should contain at least 70 grams of protein per day.

See also the Caloric Restriction Calculator

I've been on a 1400 calories/day diet on here and giong under most of the time, so I wonder if that's actually hampering me. I tend to splurge up to 1600 or so calories a day on the weekend and I DO notice that most of my weight loss hits on Monday morning (I weigh every day, which I know stresses most people out on here but I like to know how my weight fluctuates, it helps me figure out when I need to be focusing on ingesting more fiber and/or water). I know my boyfriend worries I'm not eating enough, but I'm not hungry. I am full, just off of lower calorie things than I used to eat.

The 70 grams of protein per day worries me. MFP has me at 53 and I don't come close to meeting it most days. I guess it's time to seriously look into some whey for protein shakes at night. It'll get me more protein and up my calories, I guess.

Three words: EAT YOUR PROTEIN!

Ok, more words:

I ran my numbers again today.
    Body Mass Index: 39.0 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.70
    Percent Body Fat: 59.6%
    Lean Body Mass: 91.8 lb

You are overweight by 37.4 kilograms (82.2 pounds)
    Minimum caloric requirements: 1788 Calories per day
    Limit your food intake to 1519 calories per day.
    Your diet should contain at least 72 grams of protein per day.

If this calculator is to be believed, then I have now gained 11.5 pounds of lean body mass in 12 weeks time. I really don't think those numbers are entirely accurate, but when I did progress pictures the other day, my daughter (among others) pointed out that my arms looked much smaller. I said, "But my arm measurement is the exact same. I haven't lost even a fraction of an inch." But when I looked at the pics again, I did notice that my arms appear leaner are better proportioned than in my before pictures. (Pics: http://s1321.photobucket.com/albums/u550/Wendy_Terry/ )

It is also true that there is not way to know absolutely for sure, but it is intriguing to me because I have been incorporating strength training and regular cardio, in addition to staying in my calorie goal. And yes, I upped my calories and, more importantly (I think), upped my protein intake. That site says to be getting 72 grams, but I upped my calories a few weeks ago to 1800 and kept my protein ratio at 30%, which is 90 grams of protein. I am able to get that in with the help of hemp protein powder and a fair amount of dairy, in addition to the meat in my diet.

While lots of people say that cardio is how you burn fat, and others say "lift heavy," I firmly believe that plenty of protein, plus a regular routine of both aerobic *and* anaerobic exercise is the way to go. At least, it seems to be working for me. :bigsmile:
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Body Mass Index: 24.9 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.42
    Percent Body Fat: 28.8%
    Lean Body Mass: 109.6 lb

Your BMI is greater than normal, but your waist-to-height ratio is normal.
    You may be overweight or have unusual mass distribution.
    Your diet should contain at least 55 grams of protein per day.

Unusual mass distribution, say what?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Caclulators are good for an estimate or ball park, but they're not going to be precise enough to really say whether or not you've gained lean mass. Or what that lean mass might be. It could be some muscle, some bone density and some fluid. It's getting your lean mass number from a percentage of your scale weight, which fluctuates the time.

If I plugged in my "first thing in the morning after tinkling" stats, vs my "just had dinner, going to bed" stats, my "lean mass" would be several pounds higher, but it would be the food and drink in my belly, not muscle mass.

So... just like the scale, calculators are good to see a general trend, but don't expect them to be terribly precise.
  • gypsybree
    Options
    Body Mass Index: 53.3 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.86
    Percent Body Fat: 72.6%
    Lean Body Mass: 85.1 lb

You are overweight by 75.1 kilograms (165.2 pounds)
    You need to exercise at least 30 minutes every day.
    Minimum caloric requirements: 1788 Calories per day
    Limit your food intake to 1519 calories per day.
    Your diet should contain at least 52 grams of protein per day.

Calculators are great tools.. but I know from experience that eating less than 2000 for more than 3 months will put me into this starvation mode process where I work my *kitten* off and nothing shows except rolls.
    Just saying.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Great website! Thanks for sharing.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more compact than fat. So, yes, you can gain muscle mass, but have smaller measurements.

For more information about muscle versus fat, see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-much-does-a-pound-weigh-295817

Some people say you can't gain new muscle, just strengthen existing, while eating at a deficit (loss). I don't know. They're fairly credible people, so I tend to believe them, but I think in strengthening existing muscle, you can probably add muscle mass. ??