First Tattoo! Help? LOL

Options
So I'm getting married next year, and when I get married, I plan on putting my wife's name on me [don't say it's a bad idea. We've been together for a really long time and she has my name on her ankle]. Now, I'm thinking of getting two penguins holding hands with a heart between them. Inside the heart, the day we began dating, and our initials either underneath the penguins or to the left of the one on the left and to the right of the one on the right. I want it to be kind of small, about maybe 3-4 inches tall and wide?

My question is...this is my first tattoo, and I'm trying to figure out where I can put this where it will hurt the less. LOL. I'm terrified of needles, but I want to do this and it will be my only tattoo.

Any suggestions? Thanks <3

Also if anyone knows anyone who would like to sketch this out for me? THAT WOULD BE AWESOME AND I WOULD LOVE YOU FOREVER!!

Replies

• AquaFitQueen
    AquaFitQueen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well it isnt ideal for what you want, lol, but I just had my first and it was behind my ear....apparently that is the most painless spot to get one according to the several tattooist I spoke to.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The fatty areas hurt less, the boney areas hurt more --- but it's really not that bad.

ETA: google Penguins Holding Hands... there are thousands of images! :)
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    A tattoo artist can sketch it up for you. That is their jobs!

As far as a place on the body that doesn't hurt as bad ... somewhere with some "meat" on it, that isn't too bony.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First of all, it's going to hurt no matter where you get it. My suggestion would be on the back, near the shoulder area. If you have any aleve or motrin take that before getting the tattoo or a pain pill if you already have them. It will lessen the pain. Do not drink alcohol to get numb to the pain before getting it, it will thin out your blood and you will bleed more during it (tattoo artists hate that). Also, if you have a really good tattoo artist, they will be able to sketch your design when you get there, just describe it the best you can.. Good luck and post pics after you get it :)
  • ToneItUp87
    Options
    First of all, it's going to hurt no matter where you get it. My suggestion would be on the back, near the shoulder area. If you have any aleve or motrin take that before getting the tattoo or a pain pill if you already have them. It will lessen the pain. Do not drink alcohol to get numb to the pain before getting it, it will thin out your blood and you will bleed more during it (tattoo artists hate that). Also, if you have a really good tattoo artist, they will be able to sketch your design when you get there, just describe it the best you can.. Good luck and post pics after you get it :)

I was thinking of getting it either the ankle or the back near the shoulder area. THANK YOU GUYS!
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have numerous tattoos and the least painful for me were the breast area and my back....
  • p0tt3rgl33k
    p0tt3rgl33k Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't really hurt (left forearm) But it might have been that i was thrilled to be getting it.... and loving the process.... and talking to the artist... :D
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I think the back of your shoulder is a good placement for that type of tattoo. But definitely have a reputable artist draw up what you want before you have the needle even touching you.
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree with the back of your shoulder being a good placement area.
  • torrini
    torrini Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My first tattoo is a bit above my wrist and it didn't hurt too bad. The closer it got tot he wrist the more it hurt. I'm getting my second one next week, also on my arm. I've heard that the closer it is to the bone, the more it hurts.
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    LOL, I wonder if my ex wife has my name removed from her shoulder blade
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The ankle hurts when the artist is inking over the achilles. Just an FYI.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    The fatty areas hurt less

Not true. I have tattoos all over my body and I got a piece on my thigh and that was probably the most painful of all my tattoos.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Only recommendation is that many jobs require you to hide your tattoos. If you get it in your arm you may be required to wear long sleeves. Of course, don't consider your face. Some of you may laugh at this but there are fools out there who have tats on their face! Really creepy!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have multiple tattoos, worst was my ankle almost no pain was well in comparison to that one any of them, my shoulders tickled!
  • mcfc4tony
    mcfc4tony Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi as most have said teh shoulder is a good place to start, as for the pain. Everyone has a different level, all I can say is with me after approx 5 mins the pain gets to a level where it doesn't bother me. If you like a few ideas have a look at my few.
    Hope this help and please make sure you let us all see the finished tat :flowerforyou:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thulme/sets/72157623606006266/
  • ToneItUp87
    Options
    Hi as most have said teh shoulder is a good place to start, as for the pain. Everyone has a different level, all I can say is with me after approx 5 mins the pain gets to a level where it doesn't bother me. If you like a few ideas have a look at my few.
    Hope this help and please make sure you let us all see the finished tat :flowerforyou:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thulme/sets/72157623606006266/

Your tattoos are freaking awesome! Thanks :)
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

I was thinking of getting it either the ankle or the back near the shoulder area. THANK YOU GUYS!

I have a very big tattoo on my ankle and let me tell you that hurt the most! I have one on the back of my neck and another big on on my shoulder blade. I would say out of all of them the shoulder blade was the least painful.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have one below the ankle on the heal (just before the Achilles tendon), and it was brutal. My tattoo artist chose then to tell me that that spot in particular was about the most painful place you can get one done outside the genitals. Don't know about right on the ankle, but you need to prepare yourself for some pain. That said, because of that pain I'm REALLY proud of my tattoo..though I have to get it touched up and I've been putting it off for about 2 years...
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The ankle hurts when the artist is inking over the achilles. Just an FYI.

Hurts is an understatement haha..more like a hot knife slicing off your Achilles