Anyone else using Adipex and Topamax?

Options
Hi there , I started Adipex August 29th and my Doctor added Topamax last thursday. From what I understand this is the same combo as the new weight loss medicine that is coming out but not readily available. So far I have been doing very well I am down 25 lbs. wondering if anyone is doing the same and how you are doing???

Replies

• armishia
    armishia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I thought Topamax was for seizures? My aunt takes this medicine for that.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They use it for alot of things but also use it for weight loss!!!
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for seizures, it is also prescribed for migraines. Topamax has some pretty rare side effects that are awfully gnarley. But ... The most common side effect of it is weight loss.

I dropped 14 pound during pregnancy on that RX.

Good luck to you!
  • sylwia22k
    sylwia22k Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started Apidex 4 days ago, 3 lb down
  • verapamil
    Options
    In my opinion, topamax is great for weightloss but the side effects totally outweigh the benefits and I would not use it just for that. I took it for about 5 years for chronic migraines and while I did lose weight, it wasn't in a good way. I would forget to eat pretty much all day and end up just eating 1/2 of a 6" sub from subway and then being beyond full. The side effects were horrible. I couldn't talk correctly (my mouth wouldn't say what my brain was thinking), I felt drunk all the time and couldn't walk straight for hours after I took it, I would get horrible, really sharp pins and needles feelings in the weirdest places, like my middle toe or a random circle in the middle of my foot that would wake me up and keep me up in the middle of the night because it hurt so much. There were other crappy side effects too, just can't remember all of them right now.
    Some of the effects still haven't gone away either. The talking thing hasn't gotten any better in the 4+ years that I haven't taken it. I'll be having a conversation with anyone (my husband points it out the most) and apparently what I'm saying makes no sense because I'm saying the wrong words but I don't even notice because my mouth is not saying what my brain told it to say, which is a really weird and scary feeling.

And, of course, as soon as I stopped taking it for my migraines, any weight I lost came right back (and then some).

From what I've read, it also only works for weight loss the 1st time you take it. So if you take it now and stop and then decide in the future to use it again (to probably lose the weight you gained from stopping it in the first place), it won't work.

As hard as it is to do, calorie counting and exercise are much, much, much better ways to lose weight.
  • kbrunner2
    kbrunner2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I took topamax for headaches for a short time and had to stop because of the awful side effects. I believe that the topamax really messed with my memory. When taking it I could not do anything. Just like verapamil said, it is definitely NOT worth it to me.

Just be careful with it....the effects are long term. I still have some problems from taking it years ago.
  • breasonable
    Options
    I have only been on it for a few days and as of yet I have no side effects to report. Same with the Adipex . The only side effect I have I have from that is dry mouth... If I do get any side effect then I will stop the drug .....
  • StartingOver_4RealzThisTime
    Options
    Is that the same thing as phentermine? My doctor has been talking to me about trying this RX. What are you experienceing with this medication? Does it really curb appetite?
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I had a Dr. prescribe me topamax as well. Horrendous side effects, memory loss, etc.

Another thing my doctor failed to tell me: TOPAMAX MAY INTERFERE WITH YOUR BIRTH CONTROL!!! Luckily I was fine and did not get pregnant, but it's important to use another method if you don't want to possibly end up pregnant!

I think you should only take medications for what they are actually prescribed for. Topamax is a seizure/severe headache medication. If you want to lose weight, you won't find it in a pill - and even if you do, the risks are highly likely to outweigh the benefits. Give it some serious thought. Best of luck to you.
  • Cyncham
    Cyncham Posts: 39
    Options
    25 lbs lost in 1 month?!?! Holy Cow! Did you eat?
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for seizures, it is also prescribed for migraines. Topamax has some pretty rare side effects that are awfully gnarley. But ... The most common side effect of it is weight loss.

I dropped 14 pound during pregnancy on that RX.

Good luck to you!

I'd also highly recommend against this. Topamax has been known to cause birth defects in humans & animals when taken during pregnancy.

http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/topamax/topamax-and-pregnancy.html
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I took Topamax for migraines a few years back. I had terrible side affects, I'd rather have the migraines.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    My daughter is on Topamax for her migraines. Hmmm, I work for a drug company. Maybe I should do a little research on this drug.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    My daughter is on Topamax for her migraines. Hmmm, I work for a drug company. Maybe I should do a little research on this drug.

Holy moly! yes you should...how old is your daughter and why in the world have you not looked into side effects before her starting this drug, especially with you working for a drug company?????
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    I took topamax for headaches for a short time and had to stop because of the awful side effects. I believe that the topamax really messed with my memory. When taking it I could not do anything. Just like verapamil said, it is definitely NOT worth it to me.

Just be careful with it....the effects are long term. I still have some problems from taking it years ago.

This was my experience as well.
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I much like many of u took Topomax for headaches....i skipped it one day by accident and i remembered just what that stuff was doing to me....i was tried and wanted to sleep constantly and literally had no appetite....that stuff was beyond terrible and i chose to live with my headaches that have now gone away then to take that....i dont care how much weight u lose on it.. it is TOTALLY not worth it.
  • valerievalg
    Options
    Topamax is not for everyone I myself used it a while back it is commonly used for seziures but just like alot of meds they can be used for other things the reason topamax is used in weight loss is because that is the drugs most common side effect. I myself had no side effect from this but I know 2 other people who heard voices so they were taking off.
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    You shouldn't play with your health like that... Topamax's first purpose is not the weight loss. This is only a side-effect. The others effects can be really dangerous if you don't need this drug.

There have been some cases of death with other drugs which side-effects were weight loss

for example : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/14/mediator-weight-loss-pill-diabetes_n_1514832.html
  • breasonable
    Options
    I have been on it now for 5 days and have had no side effects at all.. Topamax and Adipex is what the new weight loss drug qsymia is made up of. My dr said that it's just not y available all over yet.
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I've taken Topamax (migraines & anxiety) but never noticed weight loss. I don't like that it makes your feet & hands feel all spidery, like when they fall asleep.