Stephenie Meyer ripped off Charlaine Harris (?)

Options
13»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Was it actually good, lol? I have it but never really considered that it might actually be a decent book

I loved it. I loved the original, which is what made "... and Zombies" so much more amusing.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was really good, too. :blushing:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Was it actually good, lol? I have it but never really considered that it might actually be a decent book

I loved it. I loved the original, which is what made "... and Zombies" so much more amusing.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was really good, too. :blushing:

I love the original P&P too. I've probably read it 20 times since I was like 10 or 11. It grows with me. lol.
    I've heard that about Abraham lincoln vampire hunter- I thought the premise was really strange when the movie came out, but I heard the book did it well. Good thing I don't see many movies since they basically ruin books.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    How about reading proper literature?

You do realize that books like Dracula were not considered proper stuff when they came out? They were considered adventurist silly dribble along with novels by just about anyone who wasn't writing about critical social themes. They were entertainment - which meant not really literary. Heck, Shakespeare would have been shut down by the religious fanatics but for the ruling party which protected him from their wrath which is why his folios/plays are still here today. He was considered to be a bit on the R rated side due to portraying, of all things, teens who dared to disobey their parents and....gasp...have sex without permission of their parents (the whole marriage thing without parents was scandalous).

Literary is defined by a culture...the books of today will most likely become what's read in the future as "literary" in tomorrow's schools. Ironic isn't it?
  • v_mdravensfan
    v_mdravensfan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Anne Rice wrote the original Interview With a Vampire in 1976 - all others come after :-)

And her Sleeping Beauty series puts 50 Shades of Grey to shame...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sleeping_Beauty_Trilogy
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    What, no mention of Patricia Briggs? She has vampires and werewolves.

Or buffy! ... Er. Nevermind...

*slinks away*
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Anne Rice wrote the original Interview With a Vampire in 1976 - all others come after :-)

It sure does. I read 50 shades and was like...pfft. Hah!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Twilight was written for high school kids. I read the books. They were ok.
    The fact that adults have gotten so bat**** crazy about all of it is what's really creepy.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options

Agreed about the Beauty Series.

And I like Anne Rice, as well as Laurell K Hamilton and Charlaine Harris. Haven't picked up the Stephanie books, yet. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that torture, yet.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't consider any ideas to be original when it comes to stories. They all have similar plots to one another in most aspects.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have read a lot of these type of books and I believe that some of the Charlaine Harris books came out before the Twilight books did. I have watched and read both and like Charlaine Harris and True Blood better because they are more adult. Twilight is for teenagers. Although I'm starting to get a little upset about True Blood because I think they should have stayed a lot closer to the books! Both of these series are way different from each other and seem to focus on a slightly different age group so I don't think one of them ripped off the other.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Speaking of commonalities between various sources of vampire imagery, based on what I've seen of these tv shows, movies, etc., there are entirely too many shorn coin purses in the vampire and werewolf community. It's obviously marketed more to women. My question is, do women really find laser hair removal and butt cheek implants sexy?