~> GOAL WEIGHT <~

2»

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    I go thru the same mess...people guess I weigh way less than I do & think I'm INSANE for wanting to lose more. :noway: It's beyond irritating! Also they think I'm a good 4 sizes smaller than I am...height is my friend apparently. :laugh:

Well, I guess if I am FAT at least it's a nice thing that I don't LOOK as fat as I am :laugh: I'm gonna get there!!! I am so gonna blow my goal (whatever it is) outta the water!!! :drinker:
  • mroper
    mroper Posts: 92 Member
    Tagging this post for future reference....lots of great info here!! I also have problems setting my goal weight. I have been overweight my entire life so I have no clue what my body will look like once I get down under 200. Definitely have to go get my body fat % taken. Again this site has taught me something new today!! I love it! I am so glad that there are people who will share their knowledge with those of us who just dont have a clue. hehe
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Of course I'm wearing for March pics! I was thinking of that as I was trying it on in the store :)
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    This is a great topic! I was wondering the same thing today. Yeah - there are tools and numbers and ratios - but we all carry our weight differently and what I'm realizing is that I carry it differently than I did ten years ago let alone 25 years ago!

I'm 5'3" (shrinking!) and I have little bones. The lightest I've been as an adult was 117 but I wasn't in shape. It's hard for me to imagine I could get to 115 (which by BMI charts should be fine!), with a toned body, and not look too thin!

Then again I have some sort of reverse eating disorder. When I look in the mirror I think 'WOW for being obese I look GREAT!" :laugh: I've started telling people I have 50 lbs to lose and I expect the last 20 to come off pretty slowly... what I don't bother to explain is that I need to lose 70 total :wink:

My goal is to be fit and strong and have a healthy BMI and really - what ever number that ends up being? I'll be OK with it!

At 190 I'm wearing size 16, I'm pretty sure when I was last 150 (2000) I was wearing size 12. Even though my small frame should mean I need to be less than 135, I'd take 145 if I'm healthy, strong and feel good!

I don't want to get to a weight just to discover my world revolves around fighting to keep at that weight. If I can work out between 3-5 times a week, keep doing strength training and eat moderate healthy meals I'll be happy :bigsmile:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Thank you for posting this question... I've also wondered what is the "right" weight for me. I'm 5'5" and 147. I'm juuuuuust inside the healthy BMI range (on the high end). The good news is, I'm wearing the smallest size I have in years and I feel pretty good. I can see my collarbone. :)

I can't help but wonder though, if I should at least TRY to see what I would look and feel like at a weight that's more middle of the BMI range. (135?) I can't really imagine it... I don't remember EVER weighing that little. My instinct says if I went that low, my body would naturally work it's way back up and that 140 might be a hovering point (if I can just get there.)

So I go back and forth wondering - does the number even matter? Most days I think it truly doesn't.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I set mine in the middle as well. I'm actually a small frame but I'm over 40 so I'm trying to be realistic. When I get there, I guess I can decide if it's low enough. I'll make the adjustments accordingly.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    At a certain point, both weight and BMI become moot. It's all about lean tissue and body fat %. Trust me, you're gonna want to start looking at body fat %.
  • phet
    phet Posts: 3
    this is a way of life the yoyoing up and down but the last 20 years has been up mostly with a few stops. i am with you. when i was young and drank, smoked i weighed 121 and wore a size 11. then i quit stuff had baby went to 203 and back to 137 and wore size 11/12. my favorite weight was 147 and size 13/14. i wear size 16 -18 and weigh 235. sad but true. i am now trying for today to reign in the food stuffing and drink water and exercise what i can handle 5 out of 7 days. it is so true about how you feel and the weight. but boy would i love to get back to 147 just to see the look on my dr.'s face ha
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    At a certain point, both weight and BMI become moot. It's all about lean tissue and body fat %. Trust me, you're gonna want to start looking at body fat %.

I hear ya, and I'd like to know.... I saw earlier in the thread you recommended either a gym or a nutritionalist could help assess? Gym is out for me... not sure what other options are around here. But I'm curious. I'll snoop around and see what resources I can find. Thanks!
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Bookmarking this :smile:.
This discussion has been closed.