Bread is not bad

Options
Miiimii
Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
You can hear it all the time - here on MFP and in the media - Bread is bad (so is pasta, potatos and rice).

But that's not really true. It depends on what kind of bread (pasta, rice, etc.) you eat. Probably the bread thing is even more an american problem or myth, because most of the American bread is white bread which is really nearly the same as sugar. But in Europe, especially in Germany, there is really good bread with no white flour in it. Instead wholemeal flour, spelled flour, rye flour and a lot of unprocessed wholemeal is used. You also can find linseeds, pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc, in it - depending on what bread you buy or bake yourself.

I always bake my bread myself - it's a sourdough with half spelled flour and half rye flour and linseeds and walnuts added. That's very yummy! I once had an interview with Harley Pasternak, the personal trainer of many actors and singers, and he told me if he could give his clients five tipps one of them would be "Eat more German bread (black bread)".

Same with rice - eat Basmati rice or Basmati wholemeal rice, both is really healthy and full of vitamins and minerals - and I fills you up.

Potatos, cooked in saltwater or as mash potatos with only milk added is also no heavy feed. Potatos have not much calories and they are healthy.

Of course, if you are happy with you low/no carb diet just go on, but it's not right to say bread, etc is in gernal unhealthy or makes you fat (if it's the right bread).

I just wanted to say ... ;-)

Replies

• Miiimii
    Options
    No one?
  • Keltinator
    Options
    I think bread, like anything, can be part of a healthy lifestyle, and indeed IS a part of a healthy lifestyle for most people on here.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love the silver hills sprouted grain breads. One piece has as much protein as 1 egg. They are not as soft as other breads, but they are more dense and chewy and make great toast.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    While I agree with you on the potatoes and rice, I DO NOT agree that the gluten containing grains are nutritious and I stay far away.
  • warsenic
    Options
    Yeah, I must admit that in most places in America that I've been to has a lot of focus on white breads.

I haven't eaten white bread since I was about 10 and I prefer Whole-grain Honey Wheat. I was a bit sad when they didn't have wheat bread options in the college cafeteria, but it did help me to experience sourdough for the first time.

But I really don't think I could cut bread from my life. Pasta maybe. But the delight of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is too much to pass up, haha.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    ..but alcohol is bad. no nutritional benefit
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    bodies are NOT all the same
    Bread is a killer for me, it puts the pounds on fast
    I avoid it,
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I avoid it,

Just curious what do you eat to get whole grains in?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bread IS bad. It gave my bank account number to a "Nigerian prince". He wasn't a Nigerian prince at all!
  • yggdrasill2005
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I've been overweight all my life and every time I set out to lose weight, I did so by counting calories (or points with WW) and lost weight. I always ate bread. It's about moderation and tracking. We need to be careful with just repeating sound bites that we hear from those following a new trend.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    I don't eat much in the way of red meat, or meat in general, so I get a lot of iron from pasta and breads. I also get most of my potassium from potatoes and dairy otherwise I get hypokalemic. The next time my heart stops beating I want to be old not 30 and trying to order a cup of coffee!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I've been overweight all my life and every time I set out to lose weight, I did so by counting calories (or points with WW) and lost weight. I always ate bread. It's about moderation and tracking. We need to be careful with just repeating sound bites that we hear from those following a new trend.

I am also losing weight while still eating a lot of bread. Just wheat bread instead of white like i used to.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Every day I eat bread, and/or rice/potatoes. Bread is definitely part of a well-balanced diet.
  • Miiimii
    Options
    While I agree with you on the potatoes and rice, I DO NOT agree that the gluten containing grains are nutritious and I stay far away.

Do you have a gluten intolerance or why are you avoiding them?
  • Miiimii
    Options
    ..but alcohol is bad. no nutritional benefit

You are right about that. But sometimes a glas of good wine for pleasure is ok for me. Even because I'm from a wine area and my famliy makes our own wine. ;-)
  • Miiimii
    Options
    I avoid it,

What kind of bread do you eat? And how much? But if you don't wanna eat it, that's your choice and that's totaly ok.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I frequently see people ask if a specific food item is good or bad. There is no such thing as a good or bad food, its all just food

Instead of asking for blanket statements on if you should eat item x or y, look at the item in the food database and see if it fits into your macro nutrient goals! From there you should be able to easily decide if you should or shouldn't eat it
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    these are my favorite foods. I could care less if theyre bad I will work them in.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    White bread is NOT almost all sugar! I love that you are trying to dispute a myth by perpetuating another. No food is bad unless you consume in excess. It is only after I have eaten my body's allotted maintenance calories that food begins to take a negative effect... and that would not matter if the extra food is bread, cake, or carrots. If my body can't use it, then it will store it.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I prefer to do my own research before deciding what to eat and what not to eat. White bread is not good based off what goes into it and how it affects the body. I eat honey grain or honey wheat bread instead.

http://janicewhite.hubpages.com/hub/why-white-bread-is-bad-for-you

Me: I don't eat white bread at all. I don't eat white rice, either. However, that works for me because I happen to appreciate my body and what goes into it.

To each his/her own.....