Help!! Need some home decorating tips on a budget

Options

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    yard sales (they are still going on in my part of the country), consignment shops, thrift stores, goodwill (CHKD, DAV, whatever charity stores are in your area), dollar general/family dollar, some local dumps have a community give-away area which in my area tends to accumulate used but still usable furniture, appliances, etc...also craigs list and/or look for a freecycle yahoo group for your area (I think you have to create a yahoogroup account, but it's free)...oh, and look at your local county website, ours has a place people can post classified ads for free and a lot of housewares tend to pop up in there...also check with local churches or community clubs (ruritan/elks/moose/etc.) they frequently have large yard sales once or twice a month...
  • vidvox
    vidvox Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    IKEA
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Kohl's, especially around the holidays, offers excellent sales and discounts (up to 30%).

Also check QVC/HSN for your kitchen needs. I bought a great set of nonstick cookware that is oven safe, and they both do easy pay instead of having to pay it all up front.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I live 40 miles from IKEA but its worth the trip!!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    i agree with many suggestions above, like wal mart and target, but I would check with good will or the salvation army also. You can sometimes find good deals. Ross TJ Maxx and Marshalls are great too. I would also suggestion Amazon, but if you buy anything off the internet make sure you read all the reviews. Habitat or humanity sometimes has household things. If you like craigslist is available but....thats craigslist.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If you are really on a budget, try goodwill fist, then consignment shops, then yard sales.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Craigslist...free section, especially if you have a pick up truck or a van and can pick up furniture easily. I'm not picky about previously owned, and some of the stuff I have collected is really nice. If you really want to save money and can be patient and dilligent about picking up what's listed, this is a great resource.

I live in VA, so I see the ads for MD too... There's always something good up for grabs! I've pretty much furnished my house this way. Beds (not mattresses), tables, chairs, couches, baby toys, desks, some kitchen stuff....ALL FREE!
    Also, check Amazon for low prices. I do most of my shopping there now.
    Happy hunting.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I think this is cute...not many men put any effort into home decorating...good for you! :smile:
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ross, Marshalls and stien mart!

Biglots, World Market
  • Anaconda62
    Options
    Do you have a Tuesday Morning nearby? That's another great place for towels and bedding, and some cookware. I just bought 8 wine glasses, nice ones, for $30. I also love TJ Maxx and Target.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What type of cookware set do you suggestion? There are so many out there?

http://www.target.com/p/wearever-admiration-12-pc-cook-set-gray/-/A-12406419

I like Wearever cookware. There are different types, but I think this is one of the higher quality sets they have. It's very similar to the one I have and been using for 5 years without a problem. Look around online to see if anyone else has it on sale.
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Craigslist- has a free list and a spot for you to throw on an add listing what you need and stipulate that you can go and pick it up. Some people dont bother listing stuff because they don't want to deliver... they would rather throw it away even if it is still in working order. (Got a baby upright piano, a pinball machine and a drier for my brother-in-law last month this way - for free.), goodwill, consignment shops, off-priced store defects (ie scuffed/dented) can sometimes be found listed in newspapers, some churches have stores but they usually have mostly clothes. Check the newspapers for tag sales, yard sales, estate sales, etc. I usually help my friends furnish their appartments on very tight budgets. Make sure you check for quality items... cr ap can be cheap but not if you have to replace it in a year or less. Store-wise, check out target, walmart, k-mart, ... not sure of the stores in your area, but you get the picture.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ikea stuff is OK but it's mostly particle board junk. Personally, you could find a decent solid dresser at a garage sale/thrift store and paint it and make it look good. My friend that's on a budget (single mom with 3 kids and is a school counsellor) found a few nice pieces, one being a dresser and she just filled the nicks in with wood putty then put a few coats of paint on it and it turned out great.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    IKEA! (as posted prior)

I also advocate reusing - furniture is especially good for this.

Just remember cheaper is not alwys a good buy. Watch your quality. In the long run quality is worth cost for towels and sheets. But if the kids want themed bedding - like Barney or DIsney Princess or Avengers, etc, I woudl pass on the quality a bit and go for price, since in a few years they will not want it any longer.
  • LowFatMama
    LowFatMama Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Buy the furniture used at garage sales. There are so many online tutorials on how to update old furniture ! :happy: good luck !
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Sorry, but I think this is cute...not many men put any effort into home decorating...good for you! :smile:

Life of a single man!!! LOL!!!

Thanks
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions!! It really helps to have more options on how to decorate my home.

I am not a decorator but I like a challenge.

Herb
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    We have a thing called 'Freecycle' in the UK. People give stuff away and it's organised by area. You basically email the people who are offering things and tell them why you need it and they pick the person they like the sound of! I've given stuff to people who are setting up home, for example. Also, people can put an ad up on the website asking for things, but usually you have to give something first! The sites are moderated and posts are reviewed before they go live. Do you have anything like Freecycle on your side of the pond?
    Jane
  • MadCheernGurl09
    MadCheernGurl09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    honestly i would check thrift stores and Amazon.com FIRST.
  • MadCheernGurl09
    MadCheernGurl09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    another suggestion for like themes of rooms. . . .would be to google images of certain rooms.