Health foods you try to tell yourself are yummy? But aren't.

Options
124»

Replies

• Meghan_odonnell01
    Options
    spaghetti squash. So gross.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    You're doing it, you're on a diet! Woo! But now you have to substitute those delicious high calorie foods for subsitutes. And sometimes those alternative foods don't do the trick, no matter how much you're forcing yourself to think "YUM this is so much better than ___" when you really know it's not ANYwhere close.

My recent one is hot chocolate. In the past I would put one or even two packs of the milk chocolate mix in a cup. Now I've switched to the "diet" mix, and it's "good" just not as good as the real thing...

Another is anything that has peanut butter and chocolate comined into a diet substance. It's not even CLOSE. Fiber One has 90 calorie pb brownies, but I would much prefer a peanut butter twix!

What foods are you convincing yourself are yummy?

Have you tried these?

cow.jpg

Kind of a cross between a reese's peanut butter cup and a KitKat.

They are delicious!!
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Another is anything that has peanut butter and chocolate comined into a diet substance. It's not even CLOSE. Fiber One has 90 calorie pb brownies, but I would much prefer a peanut butter twix!

I found the PB Fiber 1 brownies...all I could taste was sesame seed. The Chocolate Fudge Fiber 1 brownies tho....I'm in love with.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Avocado...

Oh sweet mother of God.

I can't even convince myself they are yummy, because they aren't. I heard so many swooning reviews that I took a big scoop and popped it in my mouth and sgksusd kskg kskjg kiudrig.

This memory has been aborted due to severe mental trauma.

Oh I can remind you if you like.... they taste like freshly mown grass with a texture rather like partially sun dried slug.

I dont eat ANYTHING that I dont enjoy, what's the point? I enjoy lean meats, fruit, vegetables, nuts and other leaves and twigs and I never eat anything that has 'diet' or 'lite' in its name.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt~ eeeck!
    I have tried every brand of greek yogurt out there, plain, with fruit, with fruit and granola..... still I cant get past the taste. It almost taste like eating sour cream. I like sour cream but on things like taco's.... I wouldn't sit down and eat a tub of sour cream with a spoon. Greek Yogurt is just very strong and bitter to me.

Yeah, so do what I do.. use it as a sour cream, or a mayo type of product.. I put a bit of spice in it and use it in tacos or fajitas or on a baked potatoe, or chicken burger...
  • squirmmonster
    squirmmonster Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    People who eat diet food freak me out. There are a couple of replacements I can make- Fiber Gourmet is a good pasta, for instance- but not many. Just stop eating junk food entirely, and you'll miss it less and less. If you keep teasing yourself with ****ty diet versions, you're creating a neurosis where you are constantly thinking about the good thing that you aren't having. You're creating a monster. You could be saving your calories for a food item that is both delicious and good for you, instead of having atrocities like *diet hot cocoa*. I shudder to think.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I don't like. It's not worth the bother. If you limit yourself to tying to eat what you call "health foods" you tend to not eat at all, which is just as bad as eating crap. I just make better choices with the foods I do eat, and eat less frequently things I know aren't as good for me. If i crave something, I eat the real thing and move on. It's worse if you can't kill the caving with a substitute, because you keep trying, and therefore eat more crap while trying to fill the void.
    this....

This too!
  • Hrl1993
    Hrl1993 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles....I can deal with almost any "substitutes" for unhealthy foods (i.e. plain Greek Yogurt for sour cream, Truvia/Splenda for sugar, Fat Free/No Sugar Added ice cream instead of Ben & Jerry's) but I cannot handle Shirataki noodles. They are SO SO SO SO SO SO SO bad.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    ALL OF THEM! lol

Mashed Cauliflower instead of Mashed Potatoes mostly, chickpeas and lentils instead of burgers, the list goes on and on. lol

... but as far as your hot chocolate goes... I don't like diet hot chocolate... weird after taste... Use unsweetened cocoa powder and truvia... I LOVE Truvia... Made from the Stevia plant so it is natural, with no signs linking it to Alzheimers or anything (at least yet... not sure how long it has been around for testing to be perfect on it yet) zero calorie sweetener 30 times sweeter than sugar... no funky after taste... I make mine with either unsweetened almond or coconut milk to make it extra creamy and add instant coffee... yum!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I know I'll take heat for this, but PB2 is gross.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I don't eat things I do not like - I just portion control the stuff that actually is yummy.

QFT
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    egg whites. I have found I CANNOT eat them plain--my friends are helping me find recipes that I can use them in that aren't gross. Some aren't half bad, thankfully. Even adding a full egg didn't help ease the gross factor.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I know that the RAW meal replacement shakes are so good for you but I am not into drinking quicksand which is what it feels like in my mouth..........thick grainy sludge........I tried one, have more in my cabinet but am not brave enough to do another.......I should I know but holy cow..........ewwwww......
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Any veggies. Their flavor is strong and horrible.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I'm sorry, I know I'll take heat for this, but PB2 is gross.

No heat here....it took me a bit to decide it was ok.......I now like it and use it mainly for my protein shakes and such.....