Carbs...

Options
13»

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    To prevent myself from going over on carbs, i have to exercise each day for at least half an hour

I dont get it, why is eating a banana so bad? Or an apple?

I eat pretty healthy now, but i worry about having too many carbs and i would far rather be under each day than over

but its always tipping the scale and i dont like it!

I took a peek at your diary. First off you are breastfeeding which adds 500 calories to your daily intake - I would think in adding those 500 it would also increase the amount of carbs you can consume everyday. I don't know if MFP does that adjustment when you enter the breastfeeding in as a (-500).

Also you are definitely eating a lot of fruit. Sometimes 2 glasses of apple juice a day and 2 bananas a day. BUT since you are breastfeeding I think this is a healthy thing.

Bottom line...don't worry if you're a little bit over!!!

MFP does not adjust the macros for the -500 when you enter it as food. Instead, the 500 calories from breastfeeding should be added as an exercise. This will adjust the macros.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. Fruit and veges are healthy for you. Try eliminating white flour carbs, those are the ones that turn to sugar after you digest them.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here and assuming you mean nutrient dense carbs and not nutrient dense carb when you say good and bad. I agree that nutrient dense foods are preffered and lead to better heatlh. However, if you ingegst carbs in excess of what your body can use in a day, they will be stored as fat. There is a reason why you set macronutrient goals and a priortiy to them 1) protein goal 2) fats goal (these are the 2 essential nutrients) the the balance carbs. It isn't like fruit and veggies "don't count". I'm not sure if that is what you are suggesting but it sounds like it.

Bottom line, eat nutrient dense carbs as shoot to hit your macro targets.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    LOL - just checked your diary - you are not going over on anything - in fact you are going under significantly.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I dont eat gluten or dairy, so i only eat pitta/flatbread if i have made it myself!

I dont eat white rice

the things that seem to be high in carbs, are bananas (i often have 2 a day) and apples etc

I never really go over with calories, often way under, i average around 1800 a day but breastfeeding takes off 500 of that...

I just dont get how i can eat 'less' carbs, i dont eat bread/rice/pasta generally at all. seems odd.

...Perfect example of the confusion caused by fad diets...

If you are gluten and dairy free, and rice free, etc. then you need to eat plenty of veggies and an extra serving or two of fruit. A high amount of carbohydrates would be more than 65% of your calories coming from carbs. For a healthy adult, anywhere from 40-65% is a decent range for carbohydrates. So on 1800 per day, you are safe between 150-300g of carbohydrates. (Though it would be difficult to get that many in with only fruits and veggies.)

A low-carb diet has no benefit, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to eat that way. Low carb is less than 75g per day. Some people consider 20-50g per day as ideal for low-carb folks.

Quoted.

Like becca already pointed out: you don't seem to understand the things you read on the forums, so perhaps you should not come here if you're only looking to be aggressive, overly defensive, and rude to others. I would almost say "projection" seems to be the heart of your complaints.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as good carb vs bad carb. There are high GI & low GI foods which are irrelevant unless you have a medical condition.

Looking at your diary your well within acceptable levels on carbs.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    To prevent myself from going over on carbs, i have to exercise each day for at least half an hour

I dont get it, why is eating a banana so bad? Or an apple?

I eat pretty healthy now, but i worry about having too many carbs and i would far rather be under each day than over

but its always tipping the scale and i dont like it!

I took a peek at your diary. First off you are breastfeeding which adds 500 calories to your daily intake - I would think in adding those 500 it would also increase the amount of carbs you can consume everyday. I don't know if MFP does that adjustment when you enter the breastfeeding in as a (-500).

Also you are definitely eating a lot of fruit. Sometimes 2 glasses of apple juice a day and 2 bananas a day. BUT since you are breastfeeding I think this is a healthy thing.

Bottom line...don't worry if you're a little bit over!!!

Breastfeeding probably uses a fair bit of carbs you're right, probably more than anything else (other than fat but breast milk is made of stored fat rather than ingested fat so thats sort of moot when you are trying to lose weight) but i dont know how they would make the calculation, your body produces breastmilk that suits your child rather than any particular formula...

I loooove fruit though! But perhaps i should try and cut it down a bit? bananas are just such a great, quick, healthy snack! Would be a shame to remove my daily one (the breakfast one is essential)
  • wilsonm24
    Options
    You are probably going to get mad at this post, but you have gotten mad at every post that actually answered your question so you should be used to it.

You want to know why you are going over on Carbs? Because you are eating carb heavy foods.

I get you like Banana's, they are easy and tasty, but they have a lot of carbs. I get you like Apple juice, it is also tasty, but it also has a lot of carbs. You have gluten problems so try to eat gluten free, but then eat brown rice which is also high in carbs. If you are truly concerned about the amount of carbs you are eating (you really shouldn't be you are within an acceptable +/-) then quit eating carb heavy foods.

As far as you other question of, are eating banana'a that bad? No, they aren't. Like everything though, moderation is the key. Banana's, and most fruit, are a healthy part of any diet, in moderation. If you are looking over your macro's and notice you are over by 37G of protein, guess what it was that second banana you had, or the extra glass of apple juice you had.

It is all broken down for you, look at your macro's, look where you are going over, look at the individual macro breakdown for the foods you ate that day, and adjust the next day to hit your macro's. It all depends on what you are trying to do here though. Are you looking to make a life style change in how you eat? Are you just looking to keep better track of an already healthy lifestyle? Are you trying to lose weight? Are you exercising regularly, cardio, weights, or both? Did you adjust your macro's to fit what you are trying to do? In my opinion, MFP set's carbs way to high for what I am aiming for so I reduced them so that my macro's meet what I am trying to do.

I quick glance at the last week of your diary shows that you are usually high on carbs but low on protein. You are under on calories. There could be some adjustment done here, but overall it seems like a pretty healthy diet. The carbs aren't "bad" carbs so I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, but that isn't what you asked. To answer what you asked, eating an apple of a banana isn't so bad.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I imagine i am under on protein because i don't eat meat?

I think i do eat a healthy diet, yes i need to lose weight but i am doing so at the moment

I have a very active lifestyle and do at least 4 hours belly dancing a week, usually more. much of my day is spent walking/running around and cleaning!

what foods are protein rich but vegetarian (and cheap) ? Will eating more protein rich foods make me less hungry?

If so i could probably adjust!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I think i do eat a healthy diet, yes i need to lose weight but i am doing so at the moment

I have a very active lifestyle and do at least 4 hours belly dancing a week, usually more. much of my day is spent walking/running around and cleaning!

what foods are protein rich but vegetarian (and cheap) ? Will eating more protein rich foods make me less hungry?

Protein is more satiating than carbs generally.

Some vegetarian sources include:

Seitan
    Quorn
    Milk and other dairy
    Soy
  • FeebRyan
    Options

Seitan
    Quorn
    Milk and other dairy
    Soy

Soy sounds like a goodun, from my own research (a-la google ;) ) i have discovered Almonds are very high in protein so am going to include a good dose of almonds/almond milk in my diet from now on :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Seitan
    Quorn
    Milk and other dairy
    Soy

Soy sounds like a goodun, from my own research (a-la google ;) ) i have discovered Almonds are very high in protein so am going to include a good dose of almonds/almond milk in my diet from now on :)

Almond milk is very very low in protein and nuts, while having some protein, are more of a fat source.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Seitan
    Quorn
    Milk and other dairy
    Soy

Also:
    hemp seeds
    legumes
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    kale
    spinach
  • FeebRyan
    Options

Seitan
    Quorn
    Milk and other dairy
    Soy

Also:
    hemp seeds
    legumes
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    kale
    spinach

already eat quite a lot of legumes... have some hemp milk, but i think i will stock up on pumpkin seeds, hemp seed and almonds in my next shop :)
  • FeebRyan
    Options

Seitan
    Quorn
    Milk and other dairy
    Soy

Almond milk is very very low in protein and nuts, while having some protein, are more of a fat source.

Thanks for this x
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am sorry i posted, please no more 'support' I wont make the mistake of posting anything again.

Do you realize you've made more than a dozen posts after saying you'll never post again? Not being rude, just pointing something out.:smile:

Yes, conversation does come with risk - people disagreeing with you, misunderstanding you, people being smarter than you, people being not as smart as you. But the risk is worth it.
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    I am sorry i posted, please no more 'support' I wont make the mistake of posting anything again.

Do you realize you've made more than a dozen posts after saying you'll never post again? Not being rude, just pointing something out.:smile:

Yes, conversation does come with risk - people disagreeing with you, misunderstanding you, people being smarter than you, people being not as smart as you. But the risk is worth it.

Allow me to clarify, i will not post asking for advice or support again. I will however seek to find others who are treated with such bizarre, arrogant, judgemental atitudes and support them positively. Because actually, thats what we ALL should be doing.