Words/phrases you hate...

Options

Replies

• kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    "Bring it"........No idea why. Makes me want to pull my hair out. (But there is no smiley for that.;))
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    The two most common phrases used by athletes when asked a question: "It is what it is" and "Most definitely." Both of them drive me crazy.

"Unthaw" - it's not a word, stop using it.

"Disorientated" - also not a word. I had to stop watching Man vs. Wild years ago because the guy said it so often it ruined whatever enjoyment I might have received in viewing the program.

"Ironic" when you should use the word "coincidental." The two words do not have the same meaning.

"Hella" - I really hate this one, especially when it comes out of the mouth of someone my age or older.
    Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary:

dis•orien•tate, also dis•orient /AmE, BrE) verb
    1 to make sb unable to recognize where they are or where they should go: The darkness had disorientated him.
    2 to make sb feel confused: Ex-soldiers can be disorientated by the transition to civilian life.—compare orient
    dis•orien•tated (also dis•orient•ed) adj.: She felt shocked and totally disorientated. dis•orien•ta•tion - noun

In Australia, (and I suspect the UK) "disorient" is not considered the correct word to use for the above meanings. Nope, no way, never (well, not never, as "disorient" is being used more and more often these days as we continue to be influenced by american TV shows). It's a pet hate of mine, as "orient" clearly should refer to Eastern countries, eg ' we three kings of orient are".

Here is an interesting thread on the topic:

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=431002

I agree. In Canada, due to our English roots, disorientated is acceptable as well.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/disorientated?s=t

Also, events can be both coincidental and ironic simultaneously.
  • davidjohnb17
    davidjohnb17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cotton

Catching a finger nail on cotton just makes me cringe and that's what I think of when I hear the word.

Oh and the phrase "At the end of the day"
    'Cus at the end of the day using that phrase indicates you're probably considered scum even on the estate you live on.
  • samigirl1975
    samigirl1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine is

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner it's so over used since the movie came out. It's rather dumb.

Hope you get food poisoning, i tell my players that when they say that when they get a blackjack LOL
  • My mate HATES "Up at the crack of dawn" Her name is Dawn so can understand that one fully!

Yep...that's the one I hate too! (for obvious reasons!)
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    milf.

for christs sake way to make me feel old right? im only 23. yes i have three kids. but i still dont wanna be considered a flipping milf!!!!
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Dear God and Baby Jesus...where do I START?!!? Let's just begin with the entire portmanteau category:

A portmanteau (i/pɔrtˈmæntoʊ/; plural portmanteaux or portmanteaus) or portmanteau word is a combination of two (or more) words or morphemes into one new word.[1][2] A portmanteau word typically combines both sounds and meanings, as in smog, coined by blending smoke and fog.[1][3] More generally, it may refer to any term or phrase that combines two or more meanings, for instance, the term "wurly" when describing hair that is both wavy and curly.[4] In linguistics, a portmanteau is defined as a single morph which represents two or more morphemes.

"That being said" *cringe* I give you: STAYCATION

BAHHHHHGGGHHHH!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Living in Minnesota (not native to here)

People will say - "can you borrow me xxx" NO I can loan it to you -not borrow...
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say, "fair enough." It really means that the person DOESN'T think whatever's being talked about is fair. Nothing is fair ENOUGH.

I also hate, "Go big or go home." It's SO overused and the person who debases themselves acting passive-aggressively doesn't have the backbone to "go big"... so let 'em "go home"!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Wtg.
    What on earth does it mean??
    Absolutely nothing!!
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    "swag"
    " that's beast"
    "yolo"
    "that's legit"
    to go along with this...

"bro"
    "jus' sayin'"

also..."I know, right?!"
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Wtg.
    What on earth does it mean??
    Absolutely nothing!!

it means, "Way to go"
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    Epic
  • JNC1987
    JNC1987 Posts: 35
    Options
    irregardless.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

lol are you looking for the six fingered man?
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    YOLO. :explode:
  • evelynr14
    evelynr14 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    "You jelly?" as in, jealous :sick:
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    "...like a redheaded stepchild...."
  • luvmynynix
    Options
    irregardless.

I do not think it means what you think it means.

ha ha ha ha ha love it!
  • DarkFlutter
    DarkFlutter Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    People in this area tend to mix up "borrow" and "lend."

They say "I borrowed it to you" instead of "I lent it to you."

DRIVES ME NUTS!!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    "You jelly?" as in, jealous :sick:
    This one too! UGHH.