Has anyone successfully given up coffee?

Options
123457»

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Its my senior year- meaning full time all senior level courses, my senior practicum, finishing up MTELs, making my PPA plus my waitressing job, workouts and all the other things that need doing (I hate you laundry). To sum up I'd be screwed without coffee!
  • Missanticipated
    Options
    I had to give up coffe for medical reasons, it was giving me heart palpitations :( I used to drink a lot of coffee! I usually drink tea/green tea/black chai tea there's less caffeine in tea. I also found that if u get a good quality decaf coffee(it's worth spending the extra money on this) then it's not so bad either. I didn't really struggle giving it up, I didn't get headaches but I did sleep much better once I had cut it out. I still occasionally have a coffee if the place I'm at doesn't serve decaf or sometimes when I'm with friends but to be honest I'd rather not have it. It makes feel horrible after I have coffee I've also found it can trigger my panic attacks in certain situations :(
  • nyssa1231
    nyssa1231 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I successfully gave up coffee a year ago, for health reasons. I drank coffee from a young age (15? 16?) until I was 32.

First, I did half caf for a few days, then I transitioned to yerba mate. It was strange drinking tea in the morning at first, since you don't get that same acidic jump, but I got used to it. After about a week of that, I transitioned to green tea, and that's what I've been drinking ever since. I didn't get headaches or anything, since I transitioned gradually. I felt a little more tired when I switched to a new drink, but it went away after a day or so.

I take a sip of my husband's coffee once in a while, to see if I miss it, and I don't! It tastes too acidic to me now! I can't imagine drinking that first thing in the morning anymore, and, believe me, I was a total coffee addict!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    The instant stuff - no problem - but Starbucks gets me every time! ... and I love to take away their coffee grounds for the garden. :-)
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I have went with out coffee but I love my coffee :):):)
    I would say just decrease the amt you drink; i have a cup a day
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I gave it up for Lent this past year, 40+ days of torture!! I got headaches from the withdrawl. I gave up too many other "habits" there's NO WAY I'm giving up my coffee!
  • zimfour
    zimfour Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    WOULD NOT EVEN TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • zimfour
    zimfour Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would like to try weaning myself off coffee but I'm worried that I will be really tired and eat more in attempt to energize myself.
    Can anyone recommend some survival strategies?

Only when I'm cycling off stimulants or on supplements with a decent caffeine content in them already.

Getting up and moving around, tea, conversation (if your extroverted), music, exercise, you'll get used to it pretty quickly.
    Why cut it out anyway? There's a lot of health benefits to coffee.

i LIKE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF coffee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mcfc4tony
    mcfc4tony Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Nope it's the only thing (except my wife of cause) that gets me up in the morning :blushing:
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lol! Love it :)
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I gave up caffeine in all forms for years, back in 2004. I was so sensitive to it. If I didn't have any first thing in the morning I was dealing with headaches all day!

In 2011, I started back up because I was so freaking tired all the time. At first I thought I was OK. Nope. Found out I actually had developed a caffiene allergy. Now I can't tolerate it at ALL - except teeny tiny amounts (say, chocolate). Even have to drink decaf tea. It sucks. I develop tremors, migraine headaches, and my vision goes weird. Now, no more, and I have to limit my chocolate :(. I usually drink herbal tea in the morning, for something to warm me up, but that's about it.
  • ChristinaHz
    Options
    I LOVE coffee so much!! I'm totally addicted to the caffeine though and that is bad. I only drink two cups a day, but if I make it past noon with no coffee yet, I end up with a massive migraine and am miserable the rest of the afternoon. I can't even begin to think of how I would ween myself off of it. I did stop putting any type of sugar in it, so that was a good move. I'm hoping I can get myself down to only one cup a day.
  • mvatrail
    Options
    Once, for 7 years, not sure why I went back to coffee, but will give it up again if I have to . . . when I stop breathing. . .
  • anguianoj
    Options
    No, but I've tried a few times in the last year or so....I'm on another attempt as we speak. I'm on day 4 of no coffee and the first day I had a migraine and today I had another one, although milder. I've been drinking a cup of tea instead to have something hot in the morning, and then advil. Good luck to others in my shoes...I miss it, love the taste, etc. but it made me crash so bad later and I didn't like that feeling.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I declare this topic blasphemy.
  • missdelajay
    missdelajay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh no. That is awful. I drink a sugar free energy drink, then about 2 cups of coffee. I work with high school kids and that fix keeps me on my toes all day!