Options
    Wonderful job. Good for you.
  • ccreflections
    Options
    Great Job!!!!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You are just plain awesome! You have come extremely far in such a short time! Congratulations!!!!
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations-- your success is very inspirational!
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome! Congrats to you.
  • Tebbspcad
    Tebbspcad Posts: 233
    Options
    Amazing job, it's success stories like yours that inspire us all to do better! :happy:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    How fricking awesome are you, Ray!! GREAT JOB!!!!
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your hardwork & commitment!!!
  • Special2013
    Special2013 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    oh my you must feel like a different person great job.
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, diet is the number one thing! I tried to follow the "If it fits your macro" approach rather than calling it cheating, so while I did lower my carbs and sugar counts, I still allowed myself to eat items I liked in moderation.

The other big thing about the diet is portion control, looking back I had no idea what 3oz of anything was, so when I started off on MFP the first thing it did was create a calorie deficit because my portions were sometimes 1/3 or even 1/4 of what I had been eating, lol

The top three things diet wise when starting were:

Buying a digital food scale and measuring cups/spoons
    Being absolutely honest with myself about everything I ate
    Learning about what worked and what didn't for my body

As for exercise, I joined a gym 10/13/11 and started with walking, then added something new each week. I purchased a heart rate monitor after my second week of walking and found that for me the calculations on MFP were sometimes double what I was actually burning. After 30 days I hired a trainer for 1 session a week for 6 weeks total. She was able to get me into strength training and I have been hooked ever since.

I did a lot of research on routines and workout styles only to find you need to use a program you are comfortable with. I slowly started adding HIIT to my workouts and to this day I blend it all together. The biggest part of exercise for me is that it helps control stress eating.

For anyone struggling or starting out try to follow these things:

Be honest with yourself about your goals and giving it your all
    Surround yourself with great supportive friends on MFP and in real life
    Take the time to learn about your body and what it needs, everyone is a little different in this regard
    Remove the word CAN't from your vocabulary!

I'll add some more thoughts later today
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    Thanks everyone, diet is the number one thing! I tried to follow the "If it fits your macro" approach rather than calling it cheating, so while I did lower my carbs and sugar counts, I still allowed myself to eat items I liked in moderation.

The other big thing about the diet is portion control, looking back I had no idea what 3oz of anything was, so when I started off on MFP the first thing it did was create a calorie deficit because my portions were sometimes 1/3 or even 1/4 of what I had been eating, lol

The top three things diet wise when starting were:

Buying a digital food scale and measuring cups/spoons
    Being absolutely honest with myself about everything I ate
    Learning about what worked and what didn't for my body

As for exercise, I joined a gym 10/13/11 and started with walking, then added something new each week. I purchased a heart rate monitor after my second week of walking and found that for me the calculations on MFP were sometimes double what I was actually burning. After 30 days I hired a trainer for 1 session a week for 6 weeks total. She was able to get me into strength training and I have been hooked ever since.

I did a lot of research on routines and workout styles only to find you need to use a program you are comfortable with. I slowly started adding HIIT to my workouts and to this day I blend it all together. The biggest part of exercise for me is that it helps control stress eating.

For anyone struggling or starting out try to follow these things:

Be honest with yourself about your goals and giving it your all
    Surround yourself with great supportive friends on MFP and in real life
    Take the time to learn about your body and what it needs, everyone is a little different in this regard
    Remove the word CAN't from your vocabulary!

I'll add some more thoughts later today

Thank you for all of the info. I hope other posters will start to post some more details about how they have been successful.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!!! Proud of you, my friend! :drinker:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress!

Looking fwd to Oct 2013's results :happy:
  • richellekramer
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! SUCH AN INSPIRATION. I am on month number 10 and getting frustrated with the slow results this past couple of months...... I love seeing posts like this to keep me motivated.
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You've made such great progress! Keep up the awesome work. Thanks for sharing; it's so inspiring.
  • emyjeter
    emyjeter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!!!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    THAT is awesome!! I am absoloutely inspired by you!
  • christou84
    christou84 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good job!!
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Truly motivating.

Thanks....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!