Healthy Foods I am scared of....

Options

Replies

• OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I was scared of greek yogurt...now I don't like any other kind. I love its thickness!

Hummus...I make my own! Yummy with crackers, or veggies.

Avocado...I was scared to try it once too then this summer an aunt of mine cubed it up and put it in our salad at summer time and it was delicious!

Thinks I am afraid to try...

Quinoa - like you, I don't know what, how or when to eat it.

Mashed cauliflower to replace my mased potatoes...no thanks. You cannot tell me that you don't notice the difference. I'll sacrifice some calories for the real thing, thank you very much.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, and I'm the lone weirdo out there when it comes to this, but is anyone else scared to try certain foods? For me, there are LOT of healthy foods that I have NEVER had, and I am scared to try. A few of them, I have finally tried, with both good and bad outcomes.

1.) Cottage Cheese - I finally tried this - and now I eat it on an almost daily basis.
    2.) Greek Yogurt - This was not a good experience - I think I am scarred for life. well then skip it...not required to lose weight or be healthy
    3.) Hummus - what is this stuff? What do you eat it with? Do you make it, or buy it? you can make it or buy it--it's a combo of ground sesame seeds (tahini) and chickpeas/garbanzo beans and often something like garlic, red peppers, etc. It's really tasty--it's like white bean dip
    4.) Avacados - Not sure why, but I just CAN'T do this. And again - don't know what to eat it with, how to prepare it, anything. I can't stand them but they're great for you.
    5.) Sweet Potatos - They look weird. delicious alternative to regular potatoes. I like them with maple syrup
    6.) Quinoa - I don't even know what this is, or what time of day this food is supposed to be eaten? Is it breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? It's a grain that has more protein than most other grains--you can cook it like rice or pasta--but you can also cook it in milk and add cinnamon, sugar, butter like a hot cereal. really tasty stuff.

What foods are you scared of?

Scared of? Ummm nothing really--I'm just really picky.
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i like cottage cheese!! but sweet potatoes are SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!!

im scared of brussel sprouts and any kind of beans especially pinto and lima AAAHHH

I am so with you on the brussel sprouts and most beans especially the lima!

Oh and I despise celery! It is sooooo disgusting!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Oh how I wish I was "scared" of ANY food...something :)

I'll try anything :p
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat all the items you listed. Hummus is like crack to me and I really have to watch myself even if I do eat it with veggies. Cottage cheese is also delicious with fruit, especially berries or pineapple.

Foods I won't touch:

Onions - can't stand them, won't eat them, they make me gag and sometimes vomit. I even pick them out of sauces which is why I make my own spaghetti sauce.

Tomatoes if they're not pureed (edit) OR sundried ... I love sundried tomatoes.

Peppers same as onions

It's a texture thing for me. I've tried and tried to get over my phobia of them but I just can't. And it makes cooking very difficult. Fortunately I like enough other vegetables to make up for these. Broccoli, spinach and carrots are delicious.

I really need to give sweet potatoes another chance. Maybe this weekend I'll bake some up!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Me thinks you have an aversion to slimy, mushy foods. i understand, but it does take time to get used to foods...if youre willing. Sometimes it takes that one recipe to change your opinion so i suggest you keep trying different ingredients until you like the taste!

1.) Cottage Cheese - I dont "love" this...but i find if i hide it in things..im eating it...just not...feeling the slime. I have put spoonfuls of it in eggs and whip them up real good and make omelets or scrambled eggs with it...gives it a nice cheesy taste and tons of protein..no cottage cheesiness at all!

2.) Greek Yogurt - if its too thick and squishy for you....whip it really well and mix it with some onion soup mix and use as a veggie dip...OR blend a flavorless kind with some fruit and milk, or ice cream and you have a nice smoothie!

3.) Hummus - This is boiled and mashed chickpeas/garbanzo beans. VERY good for you..its great at a dip with garlic and sun-dried tomatoes mixed in.

4.) Avocados - i was clueless at first, then i discovered it tastes awesome blended together with some milk and vanilla protein powder...awesome shake. Also it tastes really good mashed up with garlic, black beans, cumin, some salt and a drizzle of olive oil....a dip...

5.) Sweet Potatoes - They look like Poop to me ,....lol some of the shapes:laugh: They are yummy peeled and chopped up, drizzled with some olive oil and baked in the oven until nice and crisp with soft insides. Also...you can boil them...peel, then mash them up....mix with cinnamon and brown sugar with some butter....SO GOOD!!!

6.) Quinoa - Its actually seeds....although its recognized as whole grains.. For 1 cup of quinoa....you get Carbs 39g, Fat 4g Fiber 5g and Protein 8g....its good boiled ( just like Pasta )until soft in some chicken broth...with seasonings right in the water...makes it yummy.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I don't do cottage cheese. it scares me. It's definitely a texture thing for me. yuck!

Same here. I've only had cottage cheese once in my life (when I was *maybe* 10) and it horrified me so much, I refuse to ever come in contact with the stuff again.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I tried hummus, g yogurt and quinoa as an adult and wasnt dissapointed :happy: . I make my own hummus now. love quinoa with cut up veggies and I sweeten my greek with whatever I feel like each day. Sometimes it works to replacing it for mayo on recipes.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Sarbra red pepper hummus is THE best! Try it! You can eat it with anything but I like it on pretzels, whole wheat and honey roasted turkey sandwiches, pita bread, celery sticks... Just on a spoon!

I use avocados instead of mayo in chicken salad!
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, and I'm the lone weirdo out there when it comes to this, but is anyone else scared to try certain foods? For me, there are LOT of healthy foods that I have NEVER had, and I am scared to try. A few of them, I have finally tried, with both good and bad outcomes.

1.) Cottage Cheese - I finally tried this - and now I eat it on an almost daily basis.
    2.) Greek Yogurt - This was not a good experience - I think I am scarred for life.
    3.) Hummus - what is this stuff? What do you eat it with? Do you make it, or buy it?
    4.) Avacados - Not sure why, but I just CAN'T do this. And again - don't know what to eat it with, how to prepare it, anything.
    5.) Sweet Potatos - They look weird.
    6.) Quinoa - I don't even know what this is, or what time of day this food is supposed to be eaten? Is it breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

You've posted a list of my favorite foods!

I'm terrified of ground hamburger. and sausage.
  • Hmmcglothl
    Hmmcglothl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Love hummus. Quinoa makes me puke and there is never a good time to eat it. Even the health benefits can't make up for how disgusting it is.
  • SirenLilith
    Options
    I am personally one of those weirdos who ate raw foods as a kid and wanted extra helpings of broccoli (no joke), but there are ways to make ALL those foods totally edible! I practice vegan eating habits but all those foods on your list are things I love/have loved at some point in time. (some of them could even be combined in one meal~!)
    When I was growing up I did hate avocados, now I eat them every day.

Hummus is traditionally ground chickpeas, some lemon, and tahini (sesame seed butter)
    It is creamy, mild, and comes in a lot of varieties if you want a different flavor. It can be eaten with ANYTHING same as ranch or another dressing. I like to eat it with carrot sticks, on tortillas, and crackers. It can also be used as a mayo substitute on sandwiches or in tuna salad. :) If you have a Trader Joe's nearby they sell a 'sampler' that gives the buyer like...6 flavors? Maybe five. Try it with some whole wheat crackers or blue corn tortilla chips, you will love it.

Greek Yogurt is hard for a lot of people, and hard for me to have to have given up. I think it is generally the texture that gets people but ensuring you are properly stirring it/adding some flavor can lessen that. It is useful as milk/cheese substitutes in certain recipes and makes smoothies more protein-tastic! You really can't beat the amount of protein in a food that can be 'snacked' on. I used to add clover honey and some sliced nuts though if you had a bad experience with plain I hear the fage and chobani mixer cups are delicious. Maybe try one or two flavors before writing it off forever?

Avocados are seriously delicious, and like I said, I used to HATE them. They contain a lot of extremely healthy fats and are very very versatile. When I first got over my fear of them and started slow I would eat them with lemon and sea salt on top, and over the course of a few years I can now just eat them plain. :) They go good on sandwiches, in salads, on burgers, on top of rice... really with anything. Another good mayo substitute. The flavor is mild, creamy, and adds a touch of cool color to any dish. If you are an avocado noob make sure to look for ones that are ripe enough (you can make a finger imprint in the skin) and research proper storing/cutting methods.

Sweet Potatoes are seriously probably my second favorite food. I err on the side of not frequenting potato carbs because I am one of those people who had carb fear for years but if It is a rough night and I am sad, tired, or don't want to make food I pop a sweet potato in the oven and bake it and voila, delicious dinner. They do look kind of like a gnarly fairy tale mandrake root or something but if you can get past that, scrub the skin, and try to prepare something with them they are totally worth it. I make a sweet potato soup that is amazing! They also make a healthy savory french fry or chip substitute. A perfect example of "colorful food", the color inside them is like a wonderful marker of how nutrient rich they are.

Quinoa. A high protein healthy grain similar to cous cous in texture. Okay, so I admit, I was like you for years. I had heard of Quinoa, saw it in cafes, but totally scared to death to cook it. I always sucked at cooking rice. Truth is, quinoa is easy. Any pack of it will have proper water/grain measurements and you just boil it like rice and use it. It can be a healthy grain side dish, or serve as a main dish when combined with vegetables, lemon juice, feta cheese, anything you want really. :) If you are going to go grain, go quinoa, seriously.

As for foods I hate, well. Hard-boiled eggs. I throw up if I can even smell one in the room. Capers scare me, too. I have never ever had mayo because it always grossed me out.

Also...sorry for the text wall. I am eager to share, obviously. :D
  • rhinesb
    rhinesb Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Sushi. Never will that enter my mouth

Beets. Which I tried yesterday and was right to avoid. Disgusting.

Recently tried cottage cheese again, still gross!

Can't do avocados, the texture is gross, BUT, I tried guacamole this year and can't get enough now. LOVE it.

Olives. Never. NEVER.

Pickles. Same thing as above.
    Ditto. Though I do like certain brands of pickles. Has to be a certain brand for sure!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options

2.) Greek Yogurt - This was not a good experience - I think I am scarred for life.
    3.) Hummus - what is this stuff? What do you eat it with? Do you make it, or buy it?
    4.) Avacados - Not sure why, but I just CAN'T do this. And again - don't know what to eat it with, how to prepare it, anything.
    5.) Sweet Potatos - They look weird.
    6.) Quinoa - I don't even know what this is, or what time of day this food is supposed to be eaten? Is it breakfast? Lunch? Dinner?

I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try cottage cheese.
    Sucked it up and tried greek yogurt...multiple times but I really only like it if it's sweetened & frozen.
    LOVE hummus. I'll eat it mostly on pitas or in a wrap. Instead of dressing or mayo, I spread some garlic or other flavored hummus on a wrap, add veggies & grilled chicken and have that for lunch.
    Avocadoes are good pretty much any way...plain, in guacamole (I put avocadoes, tomato, red onion, lime or lemon juice, salt), in a wrap, on a salad, etc.
    Sweet potatoes...I could eat one a day. I cut the ends off, wrap in tin foil and then bake at about 450 until it's fork tender. I cut it up and eat it plain but if you want, it's good with salt and/or brown sugar (just a tiny bit since they're already sweet).
    Still haven't tried quinoa since I just recently convinced myself to try brown rice again (if I use a good quality rice and Alton Brown's baked brown rice recipe, it's amazing). My impression is that it's grain-like...been thinking about using it in a veggie burger with beans.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    weird thread. picky ppl annoy me- I think if someone actually expressed fear of a food to me Id probably think theyre kidding or at least not spend a lot of time with someone who has that much trouble with food.

Food is amazing! Not food you unwrap or rip out of a box or order thru a window- home cooked fresh ingredients- how can anyone resist.

I know we all have different tastes but how do you know until you try?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'm totally right there with you! I have tried cottage cheese though-the whole time I was scared to try it, kinda like it might somehow attack me lol But it didn't but it did taste weird and I have issues with the consistency of it...

I used to hate the thought of sushi but will eat it sometimes now, but just the regular sushi rolls, I can't do things like yellowtail if it's actually hanging over the sushi roll.

I will NEVER try hummus-there's something about it that says stay away! I agree with the sweet potatoes even though everyone tells me they're good
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    2.) Greek Yogurt - Have to eat with fruits in it or OMG BAD
    4.) Avacados - Good on chips and in bacon/egg/cheese burritos. oohh so lovely in them.
    5.) Sweet Potatos - Fries... that's how they roll.
  • leereyn39
    Options
    I am not scared of any of the foods. I will at least try them once. you never know if you like them or not unless you try.

One of my favorites is sweet potatoes. and give me some pears and cottage cheese. yummo :)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much a list of my favorite foods. :happy: The only foods I'm scared of are certain meats/shellfish. Some of it is just so ugly.

^^ This!!! I eat almost all those on a daily basis! Sweet potatoes are pretty much my favorite!!!!! Baked until super tender with cinnamon - YUM!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any foods I am scared of, unless I am supposed to eat them still alive. I am ok with raw, but not alive.