Wheat Belly

Options
A friend posted this to FB today. I wonder what you guys would say about it:

http://www.lifetime-weightloss.com/blog/2012/1/12/life-time-weight-loss-interview-dr-william-davis-wheat-belly.html

Let's discuss! :-)

Replies

• jdelinrun4life
    Options
    Ah yes the wheat belly discussion. I have recently come across him and I watched a couple of interviews that he was in. I see his point and I agree with it to an extent. Personally, I feel our SAD (Standard American Diet) is too high in carbohydrates, especially refined carbs. I did find it interesting that "wheat bread" has the same or slightly different glycemic index as does white bread.

What I like to call typical carbs, breads, pastas, fast digesting carbs, are too high in our diet. We need more complex carbs in the diet, focusing more on whole foods; fruits, veggies, legumes, some long grain brown rice.

Bottom line, I think we need to remember to eat more whole foods, eat foods that man kind hasn't altered or messed with. Keep it simple, cook more, eat unprocessed foods, stay away from refined carbs, and eat foods high in fiber.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I threw away my slices of wheat bread today and got two snickers since they are lower GI and therefore better than the wheat bread
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Ah yes the wheat belly discussion. I have recently come across him and I watched a couple of interviews that he was in. I see his point and I agree with it to an extent. Personally, I feel our SAD (Standard American Diet) is too high in carbohydrates, especially refined carbs. I did find it interesting that "wheat bread" has the same or slightly different glycemic index as does white bread.

What I like to call typical carbs, breads, pastas, fast digesting carbs, are too high in our diet. We need more complex carbs in the diet, focusing more on whole foods; fruits, veggies, legumes, some long grain brown rice.

Bottom line, I think we need to remember to eat more whole foods, eat foods that man kind hasn't altered or messed with. Keep it simple, cook more, eat unprocessed foods, stay away from refined carbs, and eat foods high in fiber.

You get your complex carbs from fruit?
  • sin485
    sin485 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I threw away my slices of wheat bread today and got two snickers since they are lower GI and therefore better than the wheat bread

lol
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Dr. Davis distorts research study findings and is still fat, carrying most of his weight in his belly. Save your money and your brain, and go eat some delicious bread.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Davis is given to sensationalism, but he is right on the money that grain makes you gain. I think absolutely everyone should try to go clean-food only, grain-less and legume-less for 6 weeks and see the difference for themselves.

His recipes are stupid though. He tries hard to sub grain products with some false nut based crap. To do it right, no faking is required. Real veggies + meat + good fats = life's wonderful and good.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Dr. Davis distorts research study findings and is still fat, carrying most of his weight in his belly. Save your money and your brain, and go eat some delicious bread.

Give us a cuddle. :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Options
    Davis is given to sensationalism, but he is right on the money that grain makes you gain. I think absolutely everyone should try to go clean-food only, grain-less and legume-less for 6 weeks and see the difference for themselves.

o-rly.jpg
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options

His recipes are stupid though. He tries hard to sub grain products with some false nut based crap. To do it right, no faking is required. Real veggies + meat + good fats = life's wonderful and good.

You must be joking. I eat toast EVERY morning. I eat sandwiches and wraps, and I wouldn't know clean food if it danced around in front of me. I have lost 45 pounds eating everything in MODERATION. Hell, I had a Wild Grape Smirnoff Ice last night, just cause I wanted it and I had the calories. (granted yesterday was a REALLY bad day). Most days I get in fruits and veggies and lean meats and BALANCE. So grain makes you gain is NOT true for everyone.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I read his book. I cut out all the wheat to give it a try. I felt so much better, the fat around my mid section seemed to melt away. I've added wheat back(Husband brought home Michigan Apple Cinnamon Bread and I couldn't say no) and I have been achy, tired and my mid-squish seems to be coming back. I kept looking at the calories in bread too and was like dang if I eat that bread then I can't afford to have x later. On that note is was easy, I would rather have a few extra slices of bacon and my blt wrapped with lettuce. Just my personal take on it. Give it a shot what do you have to loose?
  • geraint125
    geraint125 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I have had trouble with my weight for decades but have managed to lose the odd pound or two. I have now reached (and passed) my target weight as in June I gave up eating anything linked to wheat. Such as Bread, Pasta etc... I am not saying this would be the same for everybody but it certainly is for me. I used to feel terribly bloated after eating bread and it would take several days for my weight to return to normal.

As an additional point... Some years ago I had to have a full body X-Ray and the Radiologist said to me "ah! I see you've had your appendix removed". I told him that I had never had my appendix removed, as I never have (no tell tale scar even). He didn't believe me but simply said "well you haven't got one". I'm left wondering if this could be part of my problem as it's a redundant organ for eating grass. Food for thought
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    I read his book. I cut out all the wheat to give it a try. I felt so much better, the fat around my mid section seemed to melt away. I've added wheat back(Husband brought home Michigan Apple Cinnamon Bread and I couldn't say no) and I have been achy, tired and my mid-squish seems to be coming back. I kept looking at the calories in bread too and was like dang if I eat that bread then I can't afford to have x later. On that note is was easy, I would rather have a few extra slices of bacon and my blt wrapped with lettuce. Just my personal take on it. Give it a shot what do you have to loose?

I don't disagree that some people have a sensitivity, intolerance, or full on allergy to some foods, including wheat. Hell, I've developed mild lactose intolerance over the years and getting rid of dairy obviously made me feel better. However, to make claims about the evilness of wheat with very little evidence or a distortion of the facts bothers me. It bothers me that these types of diets are filling the pockets of doctors who have no education in nutrition. Dr. Davis is on the same level as Dr. Oz for me.

And what do I have to lose? Well, bread. And I like bread. And it doesn't make me feel like *kitten* when I eat it. And I don't believe there is any evidence (that I've seen) that would make me believe it's unhealthy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

grains are complex carbs, fruits are simple carbs. A cupcake would be complex, an apple would be simple.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    As long as a person stays under their TDEE then a person will loss weight PERIOD. But fat associated with the apple shape is driven by over-indulgence of sugars/carbs. The key here is over-indulgence. If you eat more carbs before your body has burned/utilized the carbs that were already in your muscle/organs then the excess is stored as fat. The fact is, a person living a mostly sedentary life shouldn't indulge in carbs; but a person who is exercising or has a labor intensive job would benefit from carbs.

My position on Wheat is this: 1 in 133 people have Celiac Disease. An even greater number of people have a sensitivity to gluten that is NOT a result of Celiac (non-celiac gluten sensitivity). While a person is eating foods that they have a sensitivity, allergy, or disorder to, the body can't absorb the nutrients properly and you will have intestinal inflammation. Micronutrient deficiencies can cause weight loss or gain and intestinal inflammation will result in "soothe food" consumption (read: sugar/carbs) which will result in metabolic syndrome. So while wheat is NOT what's making us fat, it's what wheat is doing to our bodies and the chain reaction of events that takes place that causes us to gain weight.

Source: I am gluten sensitive and consuption will give me IBS as well as GERD.
  • Acg67
    Options
    As long as a person stays under their TDEE then a person will loss weight PERIOD. But fat associated with the apple shape is driven by over-indulgence of sugars/carbs. The key here is over-indulgence. If you eat more carbs before your body has burned/utilized the carbs that were already in your muscle/organs then the excess is stored as fat. The fact is, a person living a mostly sedentary life shouldn't indulge in carbs; but a person who is exercising or has a labor intensive job would benefit from carbs.

And how common is DNL in humans?
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You must be joking.

No. All nutritional research is lies, darn lies and more lies until you tried the concept for yourself and saw if it works for you or not.

When you stop losing weight, try dropping that toast. Everything in moderation doesn't work long term.
  • Acg67
    Options
    You must be joking.

No. All nutritional research is lies, darn lies and more lies until you tried the concept for yourself and saw if it works for you or not.

When you stop losing weight, try dropping that toast. Everything in moderation doesn't work long term.

So according to you N=1 is greater than all current literature in nutrition?
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    You must be joking.

Wanna put your results against mine?

I eat pasta at least twice a week. Delicious, worthless, white pasta. With breaded chicken on top.

Everything in moderation. Because it's the only thing that works long term.
  • Acg67
    Options
    You must be joking.

Wanna put your results against mine?

I eat pasta at least twice a week. Delicious, worthless, white pasta. With breaded chicken on top.

Everything in moderation. Because it's the only thing that works long term.

don't you know everyone in Asia looks like this due to their processed grain consumption?

Asashoryu-Sumo-Wrestler1.jpg
  • BrettPGH
    Options
    It just always blows my mind that some people would try to blame a certain type of food as opposed to the calorie content. *of course some people have special conditions/intolerances. But not many*

If you're trying to lose weight be sure to eat your recommended calories. Exercise. Works every time.

Replacing a slice of bread with a pound of bacon isn't doing you any favors. Plus you can use the bread for a tasty bacon sandwich.