Can somebody just tell me if this is healthy or not?

Options

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Can somebody just clarify what carbs actually are and what foods contain them most? :( I;m eating at least 1200 cals a day so idont think im intaking little i feel sick now if i eat to much :/ having pasta king was obviously a big mistake but i normally have a box of raisins for lunch,,

it's probably not the fact that you're eating more that's making you feel sick but what you're eating that is. If you don't have much grease/carbs/ect. then suddendly you do, your body won't know what's going on
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    well for a start thats probably too few calories

I tend to agree with ^ ... this sounds like insufficient caloric intake, even for me and I'm a 5'2" female.

I also agree that you should try some things that are less packaged/processed for snacks or foods. Raw Almonds, fresh fruit, vegetables, etc. Those will up your caloric intake slightly but they are better for your body than crackers or processed foods. If you're just trying to lose weight, that might work, but if you're trying to be more "fit" or build muscle I don't think you will be able to with that diet. If you don't prefer to "eat" your calories consider smoothies with protein powders & fruits. You will lose weight like this but it doesn't appear, by outward view, to be very "healthy."

Good luck in your goals! :)
    Well said!

When I started out, I simply tried to stay within my calories. As I achieved success, and realized I could do this, I stared paying attention to protein, fiber, etc (always watched fat as my family has bad colesterol.). Now I'm trying to do less processed.

Sometimes we have to go one step at a time. It is too overwhelming to make all those life changes at first!

Keep on trying,and make a new healthy change ever so often.

And, in my opinion, some treats are ok! There is no way I'd stay the course if I thought I'd never get a treat for the rest of my life!
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    very unhealthy and not nearly enough food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Okay for breakfast i had :Go ahead apple and raisin biscuit(50cals)
    Lunch: Pasta king no cheese (250cal)
    Dinner: small red potato with salmon with veg dk how many cals yet
    snacks: 1 1/2 more goahead biscuits (100 cals)

I got told this was a very bad diet:/

It's not very bad diet. Especially for one day. If you added in more vegetables it probably wouldn't be bad, though I don't know what Go ahead biscuits are. (are those American biscuits or UK biscuits).
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Its definately not a bad start. Sometimes eating home made stuff isn't always possible, especially with a busy lifestyle. Try to go for more balance. I struggle with this as well.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You should eat protein with every meal. It helps to keep your body from using your muscle mass as an energy source.

thank you, I needed to know this information.

This is not true! Why does everyone think this is true?!
  • trospert
    trospert Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much btw you guys are ace! I actually thought no-one would reply on fitness pal :D

Of COURSE people will reply. This is here to encourage, educate and motivate people. Don't be afraid to ask questions & don't be afraid to eat. Healthy living/eating doesn't happen overnight & we are all (most of us at least :)) working on it day to day. Try to incorporate small change & hang in there!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    1. too few calories
    2. too many processed foods
    3. not enough protein
    4. no, not healthy :/ sorry.
  • hafsahkh
    hafsahkh Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So is brown bread better then white bread im just going to not have pasta and try to have very little potato as possible? I dont really have time to make homemade food :/ i am going to start eating grilled chicken though can somebody just tell me what a healthy lunch is? Something i can take to college in a nice neat box:)
  • hafsahkh
    Options
    Thanks so much btw you guys are ace! I actually thought no-one would reply on fitness pal :D

Of COURSE people will reply. This is here to encourage, educate and motivate people. Don't be afraid to ask questions & don't be afraid to eat. Healthy living/eating doesn't happen overnight & we are all (most of us at least :)) working on it day to day. Try to incorporate small change & hang in there!
    Thank you <3 x
  • fenrirGrey
    fenrirGrey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I really hope you are not trolling.

But you are on the perfect site to get all your answers. NOTHING is unhealthy as such. It all depends on portions, frequencies and other nutrition in your diet.

Based on what you've said so far, you seem to have just started on your journey. Put in your details, set your goals and then log everything. You SHOULD eat close to what your daily calorie requirements are. AND they should be split between the suggested carb-protein-fat ratio (Macros). Try to aim for being within 200-300 calories of your daily requirements. If you see you are eating too many carbs and not enough protein, change your diet accordingly. Over time you will find YOURSELF what works best for you. We can only recommend foods to include in your diet but you will have to decide if you want to add them and keep them.

Again, considering you are lost on calories and macros - log everything!

Add friends on MFP who will keep an eye on your diary and help you steer through the journey. And never hesitate to ask questions here :)

Hope this helps
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

What else are you eating? And how's your exercise going?

Diet+Cycle.jpg
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1970 per day. I started using this app on 09/10/12 weighing at 274.6lbs. I usually have 3 different breakfast options; peanutbutter banana wrap, bowl of cherrios with a cut up banana and fat free milk or a light yogurt and an orange. I take a multivitiamin and drink a SOBE life water. Lunches usually consist of a wrap (tuna, ham, turkey, etc...) I use laughing cow cheese or Sargentos thin sliced low calorie cheeses, yellow mustard, lettuce and a pickle. Dinners are carefully measured by serving size but I'll have chicken, veggie burger, turkey burger, fish and then usually a green veggie or side salad. I am a fan of the right snacks though out the day because I am not looking to be depressed about my weight as well as depressed about my hunger :) My snacks are usually a fiberone brownie, a kashi roll bar or a sugar free popsicle. My selections will have varying opinions about healthiness but 2 things I know; 1. I have to work on lowering my sodium intake with the dieting food I am using 2. I weighed in this morning with a loss of 16lbs in only 24 days. I am joining planet fitness this week to get my cardio on as I have yet to exercise with this diet. I Drink on average of 6 cups of water a day (should be 8) and I drink Turkey Hill Diet Green iced tea when I am not having a life water. Good Luck
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Im no expert by far but 700 Cal a day sounds like not enough to me.
  • Lawyergirl78
    Lawyergirl78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There's simple carbs (found in refined sugars, pastas, potatoes etc) which increase blood glucose levels short term and then drop off dramatically. There are also complex carbs that are much healthier and you can find those in legumes (beans, etc), and whole grains. You want to balance the complex carbs with proteins and healthy fats for a healthy ratio of each - generally around 20% proteins, 30% healthy fats and 50% complex carbs (give or take). And when I talk about fats I'm referring to things like the fats that are found in nuts, avacados, olives, pure animal fats, oils (olive and coconut), not the processed hydrogenated oils. Also, stay away from things that say "low fat" because those usually have a lot more sugar or chemical sugar substitutes in them, which is just as unhealthy.
  • hafsahkh
    Options

What else are you eating? And how's your exercise going?

Thats all i;ve had for today :) and i dance for about 30 minutes a day hoping to do more excercise though

Diet+Cycle.jpg
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You should eat protein with every meal. It helps to keep your body from using your muscle mass as an energy source.

thank you, I needed to know this information.

This is not true! Why does everyone think this is true?!

In extreme cases it is. However, for the people that are on here and in 1st world countries...it's not an issue. You're body will consume fats long before it eats muscles. I agree with you...wareagle...this is propaganda no different than spot reducing.
  • powerthree
    Options
    RASINS FOR LUNCH IS NOT HEALTHY-- IT IS A SNACK
    Carbs -- good carbs are fruits veggies brown rice bad carbs white rice noodles bread crackers potaoes are also a bad carb
    etc.

You need to have protein be part of your lunch in dinner -- your lean protien and veggies should be the majority of your plate bad carbs should be the smallest part.

Unless you are eating huge servings you are no where near 1200 cal.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's mostly all refined carbs (very bad!) and very little nutrition. Add more lean protein, vegetables and good fats (monosaturated/polysaturated).

Plus, it's too few calories. Never eat below your BMR (use the Tools tab to determine yours).

I think you meant to say "monoUNsaturated" and "polyUNsaturated" fats...I'm sure it was just a typo. :)
  • wchapman50
    Options
    Doesn't look too good to me. If the ingrediants contain works you don't know or know for sure what they are, do you really want to eat it?
    Take a look at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/ and look over the Healthing Eating Tips.
    The site is good but adjust your plan to what works for you (the plate should be 1/2 vegtables/fruit, 1/4 starches (carbs), 1/4 protien).
    Good Luck on your goal.