Dreading the bird..thanksgiving is approaching!!

Options

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You would need to all of your maintenance calories, plus an entire pecan pie, to gain ONE pound on Thanksgiving. Live a little and enjoy the holiday.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!!!! :tongue:
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It's depressing that this is already an issue.

Agreed.. people shouldn't have to plan their eating this far ahead in fear of somehow ruining everything. Sounds really disordered.

I will probably just eat whatever looks good in normal, non-monstrous portions. I wouldn't even consider counting every little calorie on that day. One day can't kill everything, people. Relax.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

That thought crossed my mind, then I remembered that Turkey Day is next week in Canada.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I would sooner save up an extra hundred calories a day and enjoy myself on Thanksgiving, instead of rationing myself 1 tablespoon of mashed potatoes, or spend an entire month fretting about what I am going to eat.
    I'm Canadian, married to an American, so I get 2 Thanksgivings! Yay me! (and there will be brazen, unabashed, unashamed gluttony on both days!)
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    My diary shall forever remain blank on Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday, the food, the festivities - then get back to it the day after.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Agreed.

Big picture people.... big picture. It's 1 day. I can binge with the best of em, but even so 1 day isn't going to ruin my month. Besides... my protein that day (and as long as there are leftovers) is going to be through the roof!!!
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I can't think about Thanksgiving yet. I am trying to get past all the Halloween candy!

Beware of the candy! After the very first bite, it becomes an addiction and you need a piece every day. Instead JUST SAY NO to the candy and eat a sweet fruit instead. YOU CAN DO THIS :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    a) it's way too early for these "thanskgiving survival" topics, lord help us all
    b) the best thing you could eat would be the turkey.
  • candctaber
    Options
    I can't wait till Thanksgiving!!! I'm going to have turkey & veggies & maybe a little bit of other things. I'm usually so busy with the cooking and hosting that I really dont have time to eat!
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    turkey is good for u... and taters and gravy isnt bad with in reason.. dont go nuts..but go ahead and relax for the day and dont stress on it. try to get in an hr or so of exercise earlier in the day to get the blood pumpen and the cals burning..cuz after words ur not going to feel like it and u wall have family around to tempt u not to do it any how...so go ahead and enjoy yourself and have a piece of pie while your at it... if ur watching your weight and limiting your self already... your really not going to eat all to much any who tell ur full unless u just force it in.

almost forgot to add..u always end up with left overs..so if u can keep a bit of turkey and other healthy stuff and try to sent the rest home with others..so its not sitting in ur fridge staring at u every time u open it.
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask my boyfriend's mom if it's okay if I bring some dishes - not going to say they're healthy because that would sound as if hers weren't. And I know that she and her husband are also trying to get fit, too. So I'll just name a small list of dishes I'm thinking about, and if she okays it, we'll have some low calorie healthy things to go w/ her (possibly healthy low cal) dishes too. I'm hoping it's a win-win. :)
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can read later. I love Turkey and plan to enjoy some of my favs but in reasonable amounts :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    a) it's way too earlier for these "thanskgiving survival" topics, lord help us all
    b) the best thing you could eat would be the turkey.

Yes, it's 7 weeks away in the US, but Canadian thanksgiving is in October, and for others this isn't an issue at all.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am new to this... just started three weeks back... but if I have been good and am still going in the right direction I see no reason not to have one day... will I be way over... yup... oh well... can't be perfect every day...
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The good thing is, my desire for a LOT of food at one sitting has changed so, I can do 1 plate with a little bit of everything and be happy. I am still going to get up and do my workout that morning so that I can make sure i have the extra for all the good stuff. :) Just be good the rest of the week. :-)

This is a great plan. I have realized my body has changed in a very similar way. No more gorging or it is painful. Instead just eat a small portion and then in a couple hours if you REALLY need more, make another little plate. You will satisfy the cravings and not overdue it. Keep up the exercise and it will all work out.
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    get a smaller plate like a medium sized plate and fill up. but drink 2 cups of water before you eat. you will be suprised you might not even finish whats on your plate!!! and for evey cup of wine/beer or whatever you drink during the holiday, drink one cup of water before you have any wine/beer.

good luck!!!!!!!
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's one of those days that I plan to NOT journal... on purpose. It's a time to chill and enjoy my family. I take smaller than normal portions because there's just so many options. I might have small servings of eight different foods when a normal meal only has three or four foods in it. I feel like I got to eat "everything" that way and I'm not deprived and angry at not getting something that's only on the dinner table once or twice a year. We also make sure to squeeze in a walk after lunch to burn some of those excess calories off.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, have fun, enjoy the day, eat your favorites. Day after Thanksgiving, don't eat the leftovers, make people take the leftovers. Get back at it! My city has a "run off the turkey" 5k that I think I'll do for motivation. You won't gain weight from one day, it only comes around once a year. Have fun, get back to it the next day! :)
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I plan on eating as I normally would on Thanksgiving, having a bit of everything. Maybe I won't have seconds, but I'll be damned if I miss out on a once-a-year occasion because of a "diet." One day won't kill all the progress I've made thus far.
    It shouldn't be a "diet" it should be a lifestyle change, and everyone should enjoy themselves on a holiday :)
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I am going to destroy some food on Thanksgiving. It is gonna be ugly and I am going to love every bite.

^^^ This for sure!! :wink: