My favorite spaghetti squash recipe! What's yours?

Options

Replies

• Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So how does it taste in comparison to actual spaghetti noodles? Does it taste like squash? I hate squash but I see recipes all over the place using this squash and pass right by them.
  • nsautter
    Options
    Ha ha baking some now! love it as pasta with gound turkey, basil, garlic, onion, fresh tomato and chilipowder. Kinda like a spaghetti sauce with a chili kick!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love it with butter, salt , pepper and parmesan cheese! YUM!!!
  • Leverty35
    Leverty35 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is my absolute favorite dish to make. I haven't had real spaghetti in at least 6 months. I make this about once a week. I usually add veggies and marinara. Every once in a while I'll add chicken, broccoli and a light alfredo sauce.....way healthier than the real deal and just as delish!
  • ggtojuju
    ggtojuju Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Australia2013
    Options
    In all honesty, it doesn't taste like spaghetti noodles at all. I was a bit skeptical the first time I made it because I also love pasta in all forms. The idea of replacing delicious pasta noodles with a vegetable seemed ludacris but I gave it a try and I would now use spaghetti squash instead of pasta noodles in almost any recipe. It has a very mild flavor in terms of "squashiness" :smile:

By adding the other flavors on top of it such as marinara or garlic herb butter you can't really pick out the flavor from the others. Best part is that it is super low in calories so you can really indulge in it. I often find myself making it and then making a side dish and the side will go completely ignored by both my husband and I.

I would defiitely recommend trying it. Find a recipe that sounds good to you and give it a go. The worst that can happen is that you won't like it and you will never know until you try it.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • free2live72003
    Options
    bump
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing, I wish I could get spaghetti squash in England :( I've never ever seen it for sale anywhere..
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all these creative ideas!
  • lhather
    lhather Posts: 25
    Options
    bump :)
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it yet this year, but I usually just eat it with some salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, and some parmesan cheese.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    BUMP! :D
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    2 cups or so cooked and "strung" spaghetti squash
    1 can drained tuna
    1 oz mozzerellla (I use a string cheese)
    1 oz cheddar
    1 tbs parmesan
    2 strips bacon
    .5 cup greek yogurt OR one egg
    Chives (optional)
    Garlic powder (optional)

Mix everything, make into patties and fry in the bacon grease, cocunut oil, or a little cooking spray. Makes 4 patties (2 servings)

If you want a bigger recipe, double the squash (about 2/3 of a large one)
    1 can salmon
    Double all of the ingredients
    And add a splash of liquid smoke (optional)
    Makes 8 patties (4 servings)

This tastes really rich and like you are cheating! When I made the salmon one with 5 strips of bacon and full fat greek yogurt, a serving of two pretty big patties turned out to be ~350 calories total. YUM!
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love it...I replace all pasta with Spaghetti squash when I am on a push to lose weight. I make healthy versions of things like chicken picatta (sp?), chicken Marsala, and I also do a chicken dish with lemon and thyme that is great over SS.

I have a recipe for fish (like haddock or similar) cooked in homemade red sauce (mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic, hot peppers or pepper flake, canned tomatoes - not jarred sauce -) and then lay the fish in there and poach it at a simmer until done. Excellent over SS too.. :)
  • kimr41
    kimr41 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Going to give some of these a try
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Bump so when I finally get to the one on my counter, I'll know what the heck to do with it. Never had one before, so looking for cooking/recipe ideas.
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bump for later. I need ideas.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
    Serves 6

1 medium spaghetti squash
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
    ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more if you like it spicy
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme
    1 container (6 oz) plain greek yogurt
    ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place on cooking pan and roast until done. In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the oil, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste.

Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl. Combine the squash, onions, yogurt and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.

Place into a 375º for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump