Finally forced myself to drink water!

Options
2»

Replies

• DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    What did you drink before? I have an iced tea glass and refill it like 6x a day. I drink a LOT of water.... helps me go. ;)

Coffee in the morning, a bottle of water when I work out & not much else for the rest of the day. I'm just never thirsty.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I'm glad to know it will get easier.
  • maryg02
    Options
    Me too! It was really hard because I was always disgusted by water.

I drank a lot of juice.
  • DJ2120
    Options
    It does get easier as your body gets used to it. Try spreading it out even more - 1 cup at a time, 2 won't hurt you, but it's not as comfortable. Also until your body gets used to it, you probably will need to urinate more often.
    :wink:
    A water filter is a great way to make water more palatable. I've collected a bunch of other suggestions that may help at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761

Thanks for the link! And yes I'm using the bathroom like every half hour, don't think I'll be getting much sleep in tonight. :ohwell:
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hurray for water and I did force a little down today myself....

But!

Do a little research like I did.....Those water requirements are based on really "old" scientific research...

If you are eating a diet that is heavy carbs then yes, you may need all that water. But if you are nauseous, then it is too much and could be draining your body of sodium, etc.

best of luck....just keep researching and don't trust any "opinions" based on standard American diet wisdom!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    Hurray for water and I did force a little down today myself....

But!

Do a little research like I did.....Those water requirements are based on really "old" scientific research...

If you are eating a diet that is heavy carbs then yes, you may need all that water. But if you are nauseous, then it is too much and could be draining your body of sodium, etc.

best of luck....just keep researching and don't trust any "opinions" based on standard American diet wisdom!

I'll keep that in mind, thank you!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If you tend to not eat very much, or very low carbs, you won't be as thirsty.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not drinking water! I always have a glass of water in my hand. Matter of fact except for the occasional cup of coffee and glass of wine, all I drink is water.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that fruits/veggies have a lot of water in them too!
  • DJ2120
    Options
    I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom & my Husband goes "What the heck are you doing in there? Having a pee marathon? Why did you just pee for that long?!" LOL I had to explain to him about how I was drinking more water, etc. I was laughing so hard!
  • MelodyBronson
    MelodyBronson Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good job on drking your water. I struggle with drinking enough water everyday myself. I think I may get one of those water pitchers!:drinker:
  • gypsythis
    Options
    We talking a cup is 6 oz or 8? I have been trying to drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces.... About 3 liters I think...
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    We talking a cup is 6 oz or 8? I have been trying to drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces.... About 3 liters I think...
    U.S. standard cups, so 8 o.z. is what people are usually referring to when they mention this 8 cups of water per day.

My blog entry on water, which I mentioned earlier, has references and information about the original study and other research on drinking, hydration, etc. As someone else mentioned, the origin of this 8 cups of water per day was referring to how much liquid an average person (at the weight of that time and in a temperate climate) needed. It wasn't about drinking water, but that's how many people misinterpreted it. On the other hand research since that time has found other benefits from drinking water. The blog entry also includes bits like how many ounces, other ways to calculate a target amount, and ways to make drinking more palatable.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761