Cardio vs Strength Training

Options
Can you build muscle by doing ONLY cardio like Zumba, or walking on the treadmill, with no strength training?

Replies

• TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    you can tone but you wont build muscle or at least very little. The two forms of exercises are totally different and work different energy systems.

your best bet is to do both....burn fat and build lean muscle
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you aren't active before, yes, you will gain some leg muscle (you are using them after all), but if you want to keep from having saggy, flabby skin, strength training is a must. We aren't talking you going and benching your body weight, just enough to tone up the muscles (which will burn more fat while at rest), and keep you looking good. It isn't to be feared. I actually enjoy my weight time more than cardio. Except shoulder press. I HATE that one. And the fly...
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Resistance Training > Cardio.

Toning is a myth.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes but minimal gains. You won't strip as much fat as you'd like either.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Not a whole lot of gains but its pretty good for your heart though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    no
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    do marathon runners look muscular?
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Short answer is no. Cardio training will purely increase your heart rate and release those feel-good endorphins - unless you're endurance-training, in which case muscles will eventually get that overload. Otherwise, in order for those muscles fibres to increase, your muscles need to overload - and quite heavily overload. Don't be afraid to use heavy weights - this is what everyone should be using. Light weights will get you nowhere. If you don't have weights, then bodyweight is more than enough, but the key to muscle building is to really overload those muscles. Once the fat falls away you'll see the definition - hence the illusion of muscle-building! Best of luck and enjoy your training X
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Can you build muscle by doing ONLY cardio like Zumba, or walking on the treadmill, with no strength training?

Maybe a bit, but why would you want to? In my opinion (ok, and it is that)- going to the gym and not lifting weights is like going into a garden filled with beautiful, delicious fruits and vegetables from the world over, and choosing a small white potato.

Um, I'm not sure that analogy works, it's early. But hopefully you get my point.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Resistance Training > Cardio.

Toning is a myth.

This
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If you have done no exercise at all you will gain some muscle in the muscle groups you are using - for example running will use legs obviously, but also abdominals. Swimming will use upper body muscles as well so is a more overall workout.

Everyone can build some muscle with just body resistance, up to the capacity for your body without adding weights for more resistance. If that is your aim you don't need weights.

Toning is not a myth in my opinion - toning is what you see when excess fat is stripped away and you see the musculature underneath more clearly.

My personal favourites are Yoga and bodyweight resistance exercises, swimming, cycling and running.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You need to do some resistance training if you want to build muscle.............
  • r1r2r3mom
    r1r2r3mom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a marathon runner and ever since I started training over a year ago, I have done nothing but cardio. I gained weight like crazy and got really flabby. I really think my body hoards glycogen and produces cortisol in anticipation for me to blast out a 4 hour training run on the weekend.
    In the past 6 weeks, I have started strength training (which I hate--I am a cardio junkie) and have noticed a difference in posture and my weight is actually coming off---slowly, but it is coming off. The weight loss will increase my running speed. Most elite marathon runners that I know incorporate strength training into their workouts twice a week. I am by no means fast, but I am starting to see some of the benefits of strength training. After marathon season (I have 3 fulls including one ultra within a month--yes I know it is stupid), I plan to lay off the distance for awhile and focus on my weight loss, muscles, yoga, and speed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want to drive a nail in, hit it with a hammer.
    If you want to drive in a screw, use a screwdriver.
    If you want to build muscle then strength training.

Yes you can crank up the resistance on cardio machines to stress your muscle and will get some strength improvement.
    It depends what you are aiming to achieve.

Ideally do both strength and cardio.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    If you want muscle and/or definition add strength training.
  • aprildhughes
    Options
    A trainer once told me "Cardio is good for burning off the weight you have and building muscle (strength training) will help keep off any future weight" Muscle burns more calories throughout a day than increasing your heart rate for a specific amount of time. Muscle is good! You will never get really 'bulked up' if you are wondering about that. It is really hard to get huge a full time job! You could just start with body weight strength exercises. Working on core is a must, especially with Zumba!! (and the word Zumba is not in spell check, weird)

Here is a link to one of my favorite FREE http://www.fitnessblender.com/ They have full workout videos, quick workouts and printable workouts. Did I say it is FREE!! :love:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    In for what I am sure will be ANOTHER epic thread on this dead horse!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to troll or pick an argument but:

If cardio does nothing for increase of strength, when I run an extra 15 minutes (my usual is 30mins) why do my legs feel pumped and ache the next day? Same with swimming - if I push myself harder than usual my body feels heavy the next day as if I had done a weights workout. Same with cycling; all cardio activities.

I do think there is a strength capacity which every body has but most people have not yet acheived to the maximum - which is why at the beginning, cardio does increase strength - up to the person's maximum.

Just to add - I used to lift weights, both machine and freeweights and did very well, but the first time I had to hold a leg lunge in Yoga (Warrior poses) or a squat (look up Hero Pose), my thighs were screaming and my legs were shaking like a jelly and I had the most awful after-training pains that didn't compare with any muscle soreness I had felt as a weight trainer. That was just isometric exercise - no weights.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Pump and sorness or lack of either are not good indicators of an exercise\routine that will or will not produce muscle growth.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, most likely you will actually lose lean muscle doing cardio only. You need progressive overload, or time under tension for muscles to be retained and/or grow