carbs from veg

Options

Replies

• crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We need some positivity up in here!!! If you're getting your protein good! I personally think that tofu and other processed proteins should be used in moderation, as I'm sure you understand just by the calorie counts on the stuff. Almonds, beans and some veggies are great ways to get protein! And no, carbs don't really matter. Calories do! :)
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    What do you eat for protein?

I was going to answer this but you have answered

Beans, tofu, almond milk, oatmeal, peanut butter, broccoli, brown rice...

But is there enough protein in there? I am not trying to be antagonistic, I am asking a general question as most meat eaters eat way above on protein?

My question must have got lost along the way, so I am repeating it?

this list of foods is not my answer to what i eat for protein. i dont know if i get enough

The general recommendation is to aim for 0.8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. If you lift weights, then eat more.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    this list of foods is not my answer to what i eat for protein. i dont know if i get enough

Maybe this will help.

source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/protein-questions/index.html#howmuch

How much protein do I need each day?
    There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that's about 58 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that's about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won't harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't over do it on the starchy vegetables you should be fine.....Berries are really good for you and the carb count is lower.... but unless you are eating mainly fruit I don't see how you could have too much.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I was going to answer this but you have answered

But is there enough protein in there? I am not trying to be antagonistic, I am asking a general question as most meat eaters eat way above on protein?

My question must have got lost along the way, so I am repeating it?

It's hard to say without seeing your diary. You said fish, chicken, sometimes eggs. Those are all really good sources of protein. You'll also get protein from veggies and from grains (if you are eating grains).
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Why you no eat more fat and protein?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    no. won't slow weight loss but it might screw up your endocrine system if you're not getting enough fat and protein.
  • ODorisBrucken
    ODorisBrucken Posts: 7 Member
    Options

most of those are poor choices for protein :(

These aren't poor choices for protein, as a vegetarian I do protein combining all the time to ensure I get all the different types of protein for needed essential amino acids.

I think the lack of meat in your diet has clouded your judgement

Not hardly and trying to insult someone just shows your ignorance.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It's fine if your protein requirement/goals aren't high or they are in sync with your other macronutrient goals. Though I wouldn't consider almond milk a good source of protein at all.

Back to the original post.

Most vegetables that aren't tubers/root vegetables or grains masquerading as vegetables (ala corn), contain mostly cellulose and water. Cellulose fiber is counted as a carb but is indigestible. Therefore they usually have extremely little net carbs. Eat all you want.
  • HeatherPH
    HeatherPH Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Maybe this will help.

source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/questions/protein-questions/index.html#howmuch

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that's about 58 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that's about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.

For people in good health, consuming 20 to 25 percent of calories from protein won't harm the kidneys. For people with diabetes or early-stage kidney disease, however, the American Diabetes Association recommends limiting protein intake to 0.8 to 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight (roughly 10 percent of energy intake), since this may help improve kidney function; in later stage kidney disease, sticking to the 0.8 grams per kilogram minimum is advisable. Consult a doctor or a registered dietitian for individualized protein recommendations.

Oh wow, thanks for that! I've always read that it's 0.8g of protein per POUND of body weight, which is drastically different to kg!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. I don't get into the math of what I eat, keeping it simple works best for me. I wouldn't sweat the carbs too much, you're still going to succeed!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am vegan, and I eat a ton of fruits and veggies. I have lost 95 pounds since March, and the only exercise I do is walking. So I know for me it has not hindered my weight loss.

I eat 2 lbs a meat daily and move from 190 22% to 158 7% in 2 months. It's calories in vs calories out.
    Of course, if you care about health, body composition, and overall well being then where those calories come from matter.
  • Jester522
    Options

All poor decisions for protein sources.

"Is Butter a Carb?"
    Is this a real question?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

All poor decisions for protein sources.

"Is Butter a Carb?"
    Is this a real question?

Why is beans and rice, or tofu a bad choice necessarily?
  • Jester522
    Options

Beans and rice, although containing a full serving (~7g) protein, come with 30g of carbs per serving. Not to mention plant proteins lack one or more essential amino acids so if you're not complementing them properly you could run into AA deficiencies. So lets say youre trying to get 0.8-1.0g/lb bodyweight at 100lbs lean body mass: thats 80-100g/day protein. If only using beans, rice, corn, legumes youre looking at an additional 340-430g carbs - far more than anyone would ever need to consume.

Tofu is just on its own level of evil I'm not getting into because I don't feel like battling bad information.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Beans and rice, although containing a full serving (~7g) protein, come with 30g of carbs per serving. Not to mention plant proteins lack one or more essential amino acids so if you're not complementing them properly you could run into AA deficiencies. So lets say youre trying to get 0.8-1.0g/lb bodyweight at 100lbs lean body mass: thats 80-100g/day protein. If only using beans, rice, corn, legumes youre looking at an additional 340-430g carbs - far more than anyone would ever need to consume.

Tofu is just on its own level of evil I'm not getting into because I don't feel like battling bad information.

I am not saying that you do not get a much better protein 'bang for your calorie buck' so to speak with many other protein sources but they are not bad for supplemental protein sources. It does form a complete protein. I do agree that in general, plant based diets do require more planning and thought than a less restrictive diet to ensure that you do not have deficiencies.

And Tofu is not necessarily evil btw. I actually restrict my intake due to certain genetic concerns, but calling it evil as a blanket statement is a little OTT imo - its all about dosage. However, I would be happy to entertain any actual commentary on tofu being inherently evil at whatever dose.

And just for clarity, I am not a vegan and so have no agenda here - I am just trying to get clarity as to concerns/commentary.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am vegan, and I eat a ton of fruits and veggies. I have lost 95 pounds since March, and the only exercise I do is walking. So I know for me it has not hindered my weight loss.

I eat 2 lbs a meat daily and move from 190 22% to 158 7% in 2 months. It's calories in vs calories out.
    Of course, if you care about health, body composition, and overall well being then where those calories come from matter.

Honest question here - you lost 32lb (virtually all BF) in 2 months? That's 4lb a week? Correct?
  • Symphony2
    Symphony2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    No! These are the carbs you're after - they're good carbs. Your diet should consist mostly of these so you're absolutely on track. Don't change that. When people talk about too many carbs, they're talking about processed carbs found in pasta, rice, bread and carbs overloaded with sugar - in biscuits, cake etc. (with no nutritional value). Hope that puts your mind at ease. Keep loading up on those good carbs - just don't forget to keep an eye on your protein intake and make sure you're getting enough good fat (olive oil, avocado, nuts). It's all about balance.
  • hippietrailbadass
    Options
    I think the lack of meat in your diet has clouded your judgement
    [/quote]

Aw, I think you might just be a bit ignorant on this topic. Here is evidence that veggies, beans/legumes, quinoa and other plant-based foods have protein:

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=news

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/08/arian-fosters-vegan-diet-not-an-issue-to-team-nutritionist/

http://www.veganstrength.org/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Maybe this will help.

Oh wow, thanks for that! I've always read that it's 0.8g of protein per POUND of body weight, which is drastically different to kg!

Yeah, a lot of people on MFP try to say "per POUND" of bodyweight, which is beyond absurd, especially for someone who is obese! :laugh: