Fit & Fun Sized Group!

Options
New Thread for the Fit & Fun Sized Group. Petite size group 5'4 & under. Any short people who need support are welcome!!

Replies

• buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    I want in!! 5'3 here 140 lbs

What is a healthy weight for me??
  • Pieater
    Options
    Click Tools at the top of your screen, then click the BMI Calculator to find your healthy weight range.
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    Hey buffjess! Welcome to our group!! I put your height/weight into the BMI tool that MFP has on this site & it said a healthy weight range for you is 104-141 lbs. So congrats, you are in the healthy weight range already! If you want to check it out its the Body Mass Index Calculator under the "Tools" tab at the top of the website.
    My name is Lauren. I am 5'0" & 141 pounds. Good to have you in our group!!
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    I'm in too! I'm 5'2" and struggling with my last 10 pounds.

I have a silly question: what is considered strength training?

I have been doing exclusively cardio on an elliptical but wanted to step it up for the last 10 pounds so last night I did I 20 minute workout that used two different size dumbells for upper and lower body exercises. Then I did 20 minutes of Pilates. Do either of those count? I know it did something because I AM SORE today! I am trying to add some lean muscle and tone up.
  • ashlieh4048
    ashlieh4048 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    oooo yes please! I'm 5'2" -5'3" ish.
    Currently 142 pounds.
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Today is week 3 day 1 of the P90X series and I was able to rock out the chest and back dvd after procrastinating the entire morning. I really don't know what's going on w/me but my desire to exercise daily is waning terribly. I'm finding myself procrastinating more and having to really talk myself into "bringing it" during my workouts. I'm fearful that I will eventually say "forget it" regarding daily exercise and will just watch my caloric intake since I've already hit my goal weight. I know why I need daily exercise but I'll admit it's getting harder by the day. Anyway, 52 minutes later the workout is done and I'm happy about it.

Tomorrow is Plyometrics and hopefully I can get up and get it in.

IUChelle: Strength training involves using dumbbells/resistance bands and working certain muscle groups.

Have a great day all!
  • JustJamie
    JustJamie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    5' nothin' :)
  • jandie
    jandie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yeah! New thread and new friends! Welcome!

Thank you, jzbaby for starting it. You continue to kick butt and take names, great job!

Chocolickyss, you work so hard and keep active! From what I read on the last thread you might need to catch up on sleep! I don't think I could stay up all night talking to a friend - hang up and chat another two hours with another. AND THEN go workout. You're a maniac! :tongue: I love my friends... but I need my sleep! :ohwell:

I went snow tubing today with the family - two and a half hours of FUN! The kids and DH decided to stop for fast food on the way home. :noway: I only ate a little (and was very picky about what I ate) but it made me feel ill. :frown: Blah! I won't be letting them talk me into that again! Yeah, I said it -NEVER AGAIN! Tonight - salad and grilled chicken breast!

297898.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options

Chocolickyss, you work so hard and keep active! From what I read on the last thread you might need to catch up on sleep! I don't think I could stay up all night talking to a friend - hang up and chat another two hours with another. AND THEN go workout. You're a maniac! :tongue: I love my friends... but I need my sleep! :ohwell:

Jandie, it's not a regime I would recommend for most people including myself. The problem is I have serious trouble sleeping so in actuality it wasn't a problem to do all that talking and still have energy to complete a workout. I've spoken to my new primary care dr about it and she has run some tests so I'm hoping to have a better handle on the lack of sleep soon.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Jz- Thanks for starting a new thread.

Here is a link to an article that was on the Yahoo main page today on weightloss tips; http://health.yahoo.com/featured/81/6-easy-slim-down-strategies/

Nothing really new, but it's nice to see them again. I know that I will be weighing in everyday, eating more fiber and (somehow) drinking more water.

I will catch up on all the posts tomorrow. Today was kind of hectic.

JAM
  • jandie
    jandie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Choco - I'm glad to see you realize your routine is a bit crazy. :wink: It's good to hear you're going to check with your doctor! I hope you get it figured out and have a good nights rest in the near future!!!

Hi JAM! I was thinking of you today, wondering if you've been skiing or ice skating lately? I still haven't made it skating, however, when I found and more importantly fit into my ski pants, I thought soon - very soon! :smile:

Stay strong ladies!

297898.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Jandie - lol

I took today off from work and brought the kiddos skiing. We got there at 9:30 and left at 4:00. The snow was packed, but beautiful! I am completely exhausted. My ski pants can fit another personin there with me, but I couldn't afford to buy a new smaller size. Congradulations on fitting into your ski pants. I hope you get to go this year.

New subject: Yoga is also considered to be strength training. That is what I do for it. Anything repetitive that works muscle groups like leg lifts, etc with or without weights.

JAM
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

5'4 already achieved my weight goals, but now working on my body fat percentage goals, which requires a few more pounds to go..yikes! don't know where they're gonna come off of though...lol, my kids said my attitude! I like this thread though...we "vertically" challenged people have special needs! lol
  • Chocolickkyss
    Options
    Good morning ladies, today was a better start than yesterday in terms of putting off the workout. It's week 3 day 2 of the P90X series and I was suppose to complete the Plyometrics dvd but b/c I didn't feel like putting my bum knee through all the brutal jumping today I substituted the Jillian Michael's Blast Fat/Boost Metabolism dvd for Plyo. While Jillian has you doing quite a bit of jumping she does break it up and add in some kickboxing and floor work. All in all it was a great workout and 50 minutes later I'm done.
  • buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    Good Morning! I am starting today so wish me luck!!
  • ashlieh4048
    ashlieh4048 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! I am starting today so wish me luck!!

goodluck!
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    Thank you, jzbaby for starting it. You continue to kick butt and take names, great job!

Your welcome & thanks!!
    Its good to see some new faces here :smile:
    I finished my workout for today. I did the Biggest Loser Bootcamp. I'm glad that is out of the way! Then I made a blackberry smoothie for breakfast, it was so good. Im excited for my weigh in on friday, i hope i can make it to my first mini goal. I cant wait to see 130 something!!
  • serendipity32
    Options
    5'3" here. so tired of dieting alone - but I'm setting goals and working towards them...

1. quit smoking: 25 weeks cigarette free, as of today.
    2. lose weight (a lot of weight)
    3. run 4days/wk

For some reason #3 ought to be the easiest, but it's the one I goal I've had the least success with so far. My first running goal is to be able to "comfortably" run 3 miles in 30 minutes. Doesn't seem like it should be that hard, but I've been at it for a while and so far can only run about 23 minutes at a 12 min/mile pace, I walk/run the rest. *sigh, I know this isn't a running forum - just feeling frustrated. When I started I couldn't run even 5min (what with the smoking and 50+ extra lbs), so I know I should focus on progress. I guess it's just hard when you feel like you've already put so much effort in... and then realize you have just as far to go again. Commiserators, anyone?

IUChelle423,

In a word, Yes! Pilates and your weights workout both count as 'strength training'. I think this article, http://pilates.suite101.com/article.cfm/pilates_and_strength_training, does a good job of describing just how pilates works as strength training. In any case, pilates is something I really enjoy. I try to do a 25min intermediate routine 3-4/wk. It's great for abs, hips (abductors, mostly), thighs and your derriere. Very little arms involvement, though, so I usually take care of that at the gym with the weight machines. Strength training is totally worth the time & effort, so good for you!!
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    5'3" here. so tired of dieting alone - but I'm setting goals and working towards them...

1. quit smoking: 25 weeks cigarette free, as of today.
    2. lose weight (a lot of weight)
    3. run 4days/wk

For some reason #3 ought to be the easiest, but it's the one I goal I've had the least success with so far. My first running goal is to be able to "comfortably" run 3 miles in 30 minutes. Doesn't seem like it should be that hard, but I've been at it for a while and so far can only run about 23 minutes at a 12 min/mile pace, I walk/run the rest. *sigh, I know this isn't a running forum - just feeling frustrated. When I started I couldn't run even 5min (what with the smoking and 50+ extra lbs), so I know I should focus on progress. I guess it's just hard when you feel like you've already put so much effort in... and then realize you have just as far to go again. Commiserators, anyone?

IUChelle423,

In a word, Yes! Pilates and your weights workout both count as 'strength training'. I think this article, http://pilates.suite101.com/article.cfm/pilates_and_strength_training, does a good job of describing just how pilates works as strength training. In any case, pilates is something I really enjoy. I try to do a 25min intermediate routine 3-4/wk. It's great for abs, hips (abductors, mostly), thighs and your derriere. Very little arms involvement, though, so I usually take care of that at the gym with the weight machines. Strength training is totally worth the time & effort, so good for you!!

Thanks Serendipity! And I feel your pain with the running thing! I ran cross country in high school and 3 miles is no small feat (I don't think I could do it now :noway: ). Keep on plugging away and don't get discouraged. Just think that every time you run, no matter how long or how far, you're taking a positive step towards goals 2 & 3 and those little steps add up (not as fast as we'd like, but they still make us stronger every day). Look how far you've already come! 32 pounds is amazing! :drinker: