Do you exercise during your period?

Options

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    This seems like such a strange question. It's a period. Not a devastating illness that requires a week of bed rest. Um, yeah. I exercise through my period. And I've done things like the Spartan Race. It is no big deal. And I'm not immune to cramps and bloating, but running around and doing something is still a lot better than retiring to the sitting room with a heating pad.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I do. That's when i need to most! Between being/feeling bloated and exhausted the tired week I need a good kick in the *kitten* to get me up and going.
  • naschulze
    Options
    Yes, a period is not an excuse, and you are still eating right? I'm not about to let something like that get in the way of my goals and if you do lapse, even for a week, it can be hard to get back on track again (at least for me).

Just take that little miracle drug called ibuprofen. I take 2 and my cramps disappear within 10 minutes.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the BEST thing you can do....bloating and cramping is from excessive build up of hormones in your organs. Cardio (sweating) is one of the best ways to get rid of these excess hormones which cause the bloating and cramping.

The other thing you can do is:
    1 - Add PMS tea to you daily routine 10 days before you start
    2 - Remove or reduce dairy & gluten from your diet altogether (b/c these are know to cause PMS or increase it) or if you do not want to remove complete; remove or reduce 10 days before you start. I try to eat only gluten free and switched to unsweetened almond milk; I do still have a little cheese (non dairy cheese is repulsive, except I have had some veggie cheese that is ok)

A good study - Balancing Your Hormones by Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo (google her)

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/7-secrets-to-optimal-hormone-balance-for-women

Edited for a typo :wink:

I do not limit any exercise during TTOM including swimming, running, biking, skating, weight training, situps, circuit training with lots of plyotechnics....
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I work out throughout but do find that I have less energy on those days. After having four kids the cramps are much better and a good work often helps to lift my mood.
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    Yep. But, certain types of exercise make my cramps worse, and make my lower back scream. Yoga is great, Nia is great... I avoid things like crunches (lol) and high impact stuff... (actually, who am I kidding - I avoid high impact stuff all the time, lol)...

I agree that some ibuprofen or something like that is helpful. And, sometimes, it has to be okay to curl up with a blanket and a book on your couch - that's okay, too :)
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There have been many reputable studies that indicate that physical activity can alleviate some of the unpleasant symptoms that accompany menstruation.

Personally, I find yoga, cycling, elliptical, walking, and strength training helpful. On a few occasions, the impact from running has caused pain in my lower abdominal region, but that rarely continued beyond the first day of menstruation.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, a period is not an excuse, and you are still eating right? I'm not about to let something like that get in the way of my goals and if you do lapse, even for a week, it can be hard to get back on track again (at least for me).

Just take that little miracle drug called ibuprofen. I take 2 and my cramps disappear within 10 minutes.

That would be a miracle if ibuprofen hit your system in only 10 minutes. Are you taking it through an IV? Personally, ibuprofen does nothing for me.

Cramps are different for different people. Some women don't get them at all. For others, it is too painful to even get out of bed. Since my tubal ligation, my periods aren't nearly as heavy as they used to be, but when I was a teenager, my mom took me to the doctor who prescribed pain relievers for me. The pain relievers made me sleepy and also kept me in bed, so it was a lose-lose situation. Thank God I got the tubal.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    yep...take something for the cramps (ibuprofen) and suck it up! The fat doesn't rest so neither should we!!!
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    yes I do ..more cos I feel huge and carry a lot of water..It makes me feel better and helps with my back pains..I have to strap those bangers down though..flipping joke how huge they get.Look good but I'll be damned is anyone can touch em ...ouch!!Obviously i'm a crank today being TOM :(
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do. That's when i need to most! Between being/feeling bloated and exhausted the tired week I need a good kick in the *kitten* to get me up and going.

I agree ^^^^^^
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, I actually have much of my weight loss happen during my TOM. Which is weird. Maybe it's because that week scares me the most, thinking I'm going to gain.. so I'm more conscious of my decisions.. hmm.. But yes, still diet and exercise through it
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I kinda dont get them anymore, but to answer your question..yes
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Yes, I continue as normal. When girls used to try and get out of PE at school due to their periods the PE teachers used to say that exercise was good for the stomach cramps and I'm sure that this is probably true.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    TOM just arrived this morning and I'm having some killer cramps on and off... But I'm still going to the gym in a couple hours. I'll probably whine a little and might not push as hard as usual but I'll be there!
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know that my cramps are less painful when I exercise.
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    I'll work out during my TOM, but not as hard as I normally do. I'll usually go for a walk, come home, and drink some hot raspberry green tea, because it helps with the cramps. The walking usually does too. Just walk through the pain :)
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I pop my magic pain killer of choice (everesent solpadol 30/500's)

wait 20 mins for it to take effect and bash on :)

Plus exercising actually relieves cramps etc :D

x
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It depends on how I feel. Sometimes I take the first day or two off if I'm feeling crappy and just need a break.

I think taking a whole week off is a bit much unless you really do feel awful for that entire time. Even so, maybe you should find something that helps alleviate the pain if it goes on that long for you
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    why yes... yes I do