would you date someone with no lisence?

Options

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well... since I live in a place where public transportation is almost non-existent... So you either have to drive yourself, or relay on other people for rides everywhere... I'm not saying I wouldn't make an exception if the person was worth it... but it certainly wouldn't be my first pick.
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Back when I was like 18 and a girl would ask me if I had a licence or not I would tell them yes, but I didn't have a car so I would take public transportation. I got my licence a year after, although I still don't have my OWN car. It's a little embarrassing considering my peers had their licences already and it was a lot harder to attract the opposite sex with a ****ing bus ride to my house. :laugh:
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Well why don't they have a license? Never got one and has no need (ie-lives in a big city and can easily rely on walking/biking/public transport)? Or killed 4 people in a car accident because they drove drunk?
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how that would possibly matter if you really liked them...

Because I ain't gonna be driving Miss Daisy.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    depends, i live in a big city where it's not that important so if she never had one don't care to get one its not a big deal, if they have 500 DUIs and killed a Nun is another story
  • kaisawheel
    kaisawheel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Culture is a funny thing. I'm 25 years old, own my own house and work in a fairly serious job. However, I don't have a licence (correct English spelling is without an s!). I don't have a car. I don't particularly want one right now.

I live in a city where the bicycle rules and when I want to go further afield I use public transport. Maybe one day I'll learn to drive, but the idea that people would just rule out someone because they don't drive is somewhat odd to me!! I notice this in American culture - that it is "so uncool" not to drive. Personally, I think it is "cool" that I burn 350 cals a day getting to and from work on a bicycle while not contributing to climate change.

I would love to live in a place where I could bike or rely on public transit to get where I am going 99% of the time. But America is enormous. I don't think Europeans always have a good grasp on just how large America or even individual states and cities are. We have large cities here that are bigger than some countries. If you are not in New York or certain other places, public transit is either lousy or non existent. Partnering with someone who could not drive could be a major burden in some places.
  • talentjar
    Options
    I have but I live close to a metro area. No biggie, here. I think it depends on the bigger picture. Date...as in, go out here and there...sure..if you enjoy their company, why not.
    If you are thinking bigger picture and this is a deal breaker for you, then dont do it. We all have our funny quirks, boundaries, I guess it doesnt matter what is important to us, its asking yourself what matters to you. :)
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I don't think the situation with having a license is the real question here...It is more is this person still a "lowlife" or have they grown up and changed etc......

Do you see them as a good well meaning person now? If so I think that answers your question.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 & happily married, so my opinion really doesn't count for much, however...I am really into the whole car date thing, my husband and I still have date nights once a week and there is something very sweet about a man opening a car door for a woman (even tho she's perfectly capable of doing it herself). And really, that's my opinion. If you're asking this question, you are really interested in this person, so I would say to follow your heart! :) GL2U!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Feel free to copy and paste this to the new match.com ad that you need to post this evening:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Must have own teeth, car, home, job, and means to maintain all of the above. Must be good-looking, witty, easy-going, generous, considerate and talented in all areas of interest to me. Must be in compliance with all state and federal laws at all times, and have no history of anything that would inconvenience or embarrass me. No substance abuse, no ESPN abuse, no abuse, period.

You're welcome.
  • Sillykitty88
    Options
    He has a great union job, a house, all his teeth, all around great guy but he lost it for 5 years from a DUI. Mistakes happen I get that, I just don't know if I can handle driving someone around for 5 years.

And I seriously wish they would let you edit titles. It's been a long day. Be nice, people!
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    And I seriously wish they would let you edit titles. It's been a long day. Be nice, people!

For real! Like they have never made a spelling/grammar error before!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    What sort of license? A license to kill? Cos I mean... I'd date James Bond... but only for his license to kill.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If he had a medical condition, I wouldn't think anything of it. However, if he's had a run in with the law, uh, no, I wouldn't be seen walking next to him, let alone dating him!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    He has a great union job, a house, all his teeth, all around great guy but he lost it for 5 years from a DUI. Mistakes happen I get that, I just don't know if I can handle driving someone around for 5 years.

Ugh, no. next.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I did, briefly. With no intention of ever making the relationship permanent. He was eye candy and a rugby player. And really good in bed.

LOL!...that is all that matters :flowerforyou:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If it was years ago that they lost it, that should have been plenty of time to rectify the situation and get a license reinstated. I'd have to say sorry, you been walking this far, keep on walking...
    ^ This. Is the person permanently banned from getting their license reinstated? If yes, the violation(s) must have been horrible. If no, why haven't they gotten it reinstated? Either way it shows a lack of responsibility, initiative and/or values. Either way...walk away from me.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    As long as they don't EXPECT you to drive them, then I think it's fine.
    It's not your fault he doesn't have a license therefore it is not your responsibility to get him from point A to point B

I dated someone without a license.
    I would offer to pick him up, but he never had an issue meeting me somewhere, getting himself there somehow.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Feel free to copy and paste this to the new match.com ad that you need to post this evening:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: Must have own teeth, car, home, job, and means to maintain all of the above. Must be good-looking, witty, easy-going, generous, considerate and talented in all areas of interest to me. Must be in compliance with all state and federal laws at all times, and have no history of anything that would inconvenience or embarrass me. No substance abuse, no ESPN abuse, no abuse, period.

You're welcome.

LOL! Good one!
  • lamoursuffit
    lamoursuffit Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Also, apparently, no one has ever been young and stupid before! :)