Working out at the Gym / how to tell someone they smell

Options

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    There used to be a woman at my gym named Onion Vagina. Okay. Maybe that wasn't her real name, but that's what we called her, because she smelled like she washed her vagina with an onion.

I seriously LOL'd at this! :laugh:
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dang OP. Life is tough, huh?
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    In beauty school we were taught that if someone smelled that was sitting in our chair we were to take a cotton ball and put a little seabreeze on it and clip it to their cape on their back. It has a nice smell and blocks out any nasty smell that may be coming from the person.. Perhaps you could do this and clip it on your own sleeve on the side of the smelly person.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I would have just moved, to be honest. Putting your shirt over your nose seems a little over the top.

I'd never tell a total stranger that they smelled. If it were a reoccurring thing, I'd take it up with management.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Uh isn't it that an hour on the elliptical machine is way too much? You should have moved out of that machine instead.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First off. I would be bringing new cloths every time i went to the gym. ewwww i cant even wear the same underwear 2 days in a row nvm gym cloths ur sweating in lol
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Dear OP. There are many times in our lives that we may accidentally smell bad. For example, as a fellow woman, I am going to assume that at some point in your life, you have experienced The Dreaded Unexpected Early Time of the Month Panic (more commonly of course known by its abbreviation TDUETMP). TDUETMP notoriously occurs during inescapable meetings, exams, presentations, and other socially awkward situations. TDUETMP is known to cause a spreading sensation of fear that everyone surrounding you has noticed, is judging you, and is soon to shun you from all future interactions.

I appreciate that the woman you were describing was not suffering from TDUETMP, but from a different embarrassing smell related problem. However, it seems to me that this is the only time you've ever encountered this woman smelling bad, so I think you should give her the benefit of the doubt. I'd like you to imagine a time when you yourself has smelled less than pleasant, such as the example I have given before, and then imagine how you might react if a person near you covered their nose unsubtly in front of you.

If the problem persists, and you still feel so strongly about it, then please at least have the balls to approach her yourself. You do not need to humiliate this woman further by dragging a member of staff in to it.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    everyone at the gym smells..the gym itself smells.
    stop being a ***** and get over it or move to a different machine...theres really no need to tell her she smells bad, i'm sure she knows.

If YOU smell at the gym..... WEAR DEODORANT!!!! It's disturbing to workout next to someone who chooses not to have proper hygiene! I agree with the OP: it makes it for a very long workout!

But who is forcing you to stay on the machine next to someone who smells? Okay a workout interrupted - big deal - move to another machine. People sweat -deodorant may not cover all the stink. Its a gym, we sweat, we smell - its being a human!

I guess you don't stink and you smell like roses all the time. Lucky for your machine neighbors!
    There's gym smells...I kinda have a good neuro association with that...it's a smell that accompanies a great workout.
    But stench? Come on!
    Some folks have come into the gym and make a large room stink.
    There's one guy i walk past at the gym, and I avoid him..don't know quite how to describe the strange metabolic smell he gives off.
    On a day when I feel i'm working with enough disruptive dynamics, a chronically stinky person might get some feedback from me.
    I think this could go either way...tell her, or move. Your choice.
  • Bunski
    Bunski Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Uh isn't it that an hour on the elliptical machine is way too much? You should have moved out of that machine instead.

I'm curious as to why an hour on the elliptical is too much? (and I agree with what you say about moving from that machine, that's what I would do) I'm sure some gyms have time limits on the equipment, but I've never been to one that has, so it isn't hard to imagine the OP's gym is the same way... spending an hour on one machine doesn't seem outrageous to me.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I believe this kind of judgement is why people are intimidated by gyms. At least that person is there, doing their thing, trying to improve their life. If it really is disrupting your workout, move.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you want to exercise in the gym where people don't smell you could take your weights and do your squats in the showers.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I believe this kind of judgement is why people are intimidated by gyms. At least that person is there, doing their thing, trying to improve their life. If it really is disrupting your workout, move.

Honest;ly thats 1 reason i dont go to a gym. planet fitness says judgment free zone but u cant stop someone from judging u in there head. All i can think about is if people are starting at me. Or thinking things about me in there head. lol im very intimidated to go to a gym.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

I'm curious as to why an hour on the elliptical is too much? (and I agree with what you say about moving from that machine, that's what I would do) I'm sure some gyms have time limits on the equipment, but I've never been to one that has, so it isn't hard to imagine the OP's gym is the same way... spending an hour on one machine doesn't seem outrageous to me.
    Unless you're training for an endurance sport, cardio should be limited up to 45 minutes only. Too much cardio will put your body in a catabolic state (muscle burning) which isn't good. Also the elliptical machine doesn't really give much of a calorie burn contrary to what people believe. The problem is that many people overrate it very much. It is all about intensity & according to the law of physics, it takes more energy to move a heavier object but elliptical is a low impact workout because you don't use a lot of gravity with it as compared to running so how can that machine burns calories much the same as running or doing circuits?

Do you really think you're getting the same workout groove when you do 30 minutes of elliptical vs 30 minutes of running or circuit training? I don't think so.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    an hour on a machine is fine. In my gym, people are on longer!
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I workout out at very high intensity, gyms are made to sweat, otherwise stay home. When I start to go past an hour I can smell my sweat from my drenched shirt and if someone comes up next to me I might move to another machine if I'm smelling myself. I usually do 30 bike, 30 versaclimber, then 30 on the treadmill, the versaclimber drenches me bad but its all good, keeps me fit.

I could never get away with using the same clothes for two days, I can't even throw mine in the laundry, I wash everything in the sink before it goes to the laundry because sweat bacteria starts to smell real bad after a few hours or less.

Bottom line, fellow gym go'ers need to recognize and acknowledge their body odor and move to allow others a decent environment just as they expect a decent environment.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    everyone at the gym smells..the gym itself smells.
    stop being a ***** and get over it or move to a different machine...theres really no need to tell her she smells bad, i'm sure she knows.

I may agree with you to a point but what abt when the gym first opens up...fyi I shower everytime b4 I go to the gym...everytime!
    there is a guy in my gym (bless his heart) but my god he smells of GARLIC so badd!!! One morning as we got to be one of the first ppl there...he got beside me on treadmill...(he was killing me...that stench)...I thought it was just my me that thought this but it was brought to my attention by other patrons abt him as well
  • taylorromanyk
    Options
    Here's what I'd like you to do. This is guaranteed to solve the problem.

Next time you're on your machine and stinkypants comes in and gets on the elliptical next door, act like everything is normal. Then, when she's not looking, you need to remove a $5 spot from your bra. Keep them tucked in your bra cause that's hot btw.

Drop the 5 spot so that it lands right underneath her feet. Temporarily remove your home-made gas mask long enough to gesture to this stank of a lady.

"Excuse me miss? I think you dropped that five dollar bill down there".

Now when she bends down to pick up the five spot, you need to quick get off of your machine, and pull your pants down. Slide your butt crack all up and down her back, sort of like how a dog wipes his butt on a carpet.

When she gets up, slightly irritated, stare intently at the 5 dollar bill and then rip it out of her hands.

"OH SNAP! I guess this was MY five. My bad"

Then slap her across the face, pull your pants up, and head over to the squat cage for some barbell curls.
    Hahahahaha! :laugh: Thank you for that.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    lol I think it's sad that so many people are telling the OP to 'get over it' and are taking the side of the nasty chick.
    Seriously? Wow. lol If someone smells like crap, they should use the showers available. If it's their clothes that reek to the point where another person can smell it and gags, then they should have common courtesy to skip the gym that day. It's their own fault they didn't bring something clean to wear in the first place. Why should it be everyone else's problem to have to smell musty disgusting clothes just because they don't want to miss a workout?
    Gross. People need some self respect & respect for others.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Seriously, it's a gym. People sweat and at times people smell bad. If it was bothering you that much you should have moved to another machine. I'm certain that after an hour on the elliptical you weren't smelling like a bag of roses either...
  • eksproductions
    eksproductions Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :smile: