metallic smelling sweat?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i smell metal, or rather, i don't smell it... my husband does when I get home from running or something.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Ammonia sweat is from the breaking down of protein and muscle fibers to fuel the body for quick burning energy... It's not a good thing. Means you should eat more carbs.

THe OP mentioned a "mettallic" smell which is associated with ketosis. Here is a very simple explanation of it. It doesn't sound like it's the same thing as what you are describing related to an "ammonia" smell.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Some how I got onto the wrong thread
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor and asked to have your thyroid tested. Its not normally listed as a sign of Graves Disease but I know of 2 people who have the same problem of smelling like metal after a workout and after many MANY tests both were diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroidism)
  • 1sisrat
    Options
    very interesting stuff about the ketosis. I've been wondering about this as I've done research recently. Diabetes runs in my family, I thought that because i'm 131 lbs and 5'5" that I wasn't at risk. I eat carbs but between weird spots on towels after workouts, metallic scents, and other symptoms... suppose a visit to the doctor is in order.
  • 1sisrat
    Options
    Go to your doctor and asked to have your thyroid tested. Its not normally listed as a sign of Graves Disease but I know of 2 people who have the same problem of smelling like metal after a workout and after many MANY tests both were diagnosed with Graves (hyperthyroidism)
  • 1sisrat
    Options

well crap... that does sound worth checking it out.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I smell this too on myself when I work out but I eat a LOT of carbs. You can check my diary. I'm SO confused.
  • christinash
    Options
    I have the same problem but I have hypothyroidism. Some people with graves ( like my sister) have their thyroid destroyed radioactively. Once this happens they have to take replacement hormones. I have to take the same medication with around the same dose as she does and we both have the same metallic smell. When I asked my doctor he said it could very well be because of the medication and the absence of the natural hormone (and the secretion of it). I don't want to say that you or anyone else may have the disease, but I will say, if you have any other symptoms of an over or under functioning thyroid you may want to get checked. This disease can become life threatening on both ends of the spectrum. Good luck!
  • MamaWalkingBear
    MamaWalkingBear Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, its due to using up easily accessed carbs for energy and then using protein for energy. To help offset this, you'll need to consume more protein.

My daughter was a long distance runner in high school, and she did not consume enough protein for the muscle growth.... that happened during her second season. She ended up fainting twice during workouts. We found out later, from her doc, that she needed at least 60 grams of protein a day for working out and muscle growth. She did get a metallic taste in her mouth towards the end of running and afterwards.

I would speak with your doc about this as well, and possibly a dietian to make sure your diet is balance.

Good Luck!
  • TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    End days are near. It's become self aware.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/qa-why-this-strong-smell-of-ammonia/2029.html

Try this ^ or this.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

I notice the smell of ammonia in the shower after running on the treadmill. Thought it was a reaction to the soap at first.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    This is so weird! I've been hearing Mettalica during my workouts!?!?

Ha ha ha, that's awesome!

On a serious note though, I first thought of the Ketosis too but I agree it has an ammonia scent. It's hard to say what one considers to be metallic scent. I have friends that tell me they smell strange after eating a lot of garlic. Hopefully it's just something that you've eaten.