First 5k -- knowing when you're ready?

Options
2»

Replies

• abbym919
    Options
    On those who noted that I need new shoes -- known issue! Waiting for my workplace exercise reimbursement program $$ that are available in November, then I'm getting my gait analyzed and some new shoes to match whatever weird thing I'm doing!

Thanks again!!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    your outfit will probably weigh a bit - even a few extra pounds will make the run signicantly harder. U could train with a backpack to prepare for this
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There's a zombie run in Baltimore on the 27th and 28th, I'll be there!

I did the Massachusetts one this spring. Was tons of fun. Enjoy!
    Running on pavement is ideal, and many people will attest to that; however, if you've been running on a treadmill with an incline of one percent, then you're doing okay. I've run two marathons, and the majority of my training came from the treadmill. I put it on an incline between two to four percent with a speed of 8.2 to 8.6 miles per hour.

You did marathon training on a treadmill? I think I'd rather just spend a few hours punching myself in the face than running a 18 or 20 miler on a treadmill. I'm already dreading the inevitable long 10 or 12 milers this winter when the weather won't let do my long runs outside. I salute you.
  • TenHenAustin
    Options
    :smile:

Simple answer: treadmill can prepare you a bit, but there's no comparison to cross training with outdoor walking, jogging, and running. You need to decide if you are doing this for fun (seems you are) or for a more specific goal (such as completing within a certain time, or placing for your age group, or a personal best.) If you are doing for fun, and are more committed to the notion of fun, you will be fine--particularly because you will be able to walk, too; and you can stop here if you are doing it just for fun.

Extended answer:
    If, however, you are doing it to test the waters for your ability to do more races in the future, read on. While you may be able to complete the race fine, you likely will not do so in the same amount of time (as you would on the treadmill), and you definitely will not feel the same physically during the race or after, especially the 24-48 hours post-race. Here's why:

There are quite the differences between the surfaces of: concrete (sidewalk or road), asphalt (road), and hike/bike trail (usually decomposed granite or hard soil), rubberized tracks, and treadmill. The following are two significant differences:

The first notable difference is compaction and the shock to your body, particularly your joints. Even between asphalt and concrete there is a difference. The surfaces mentioned here are listed in order of greatest to least shock to your joints presuming you are walking, jogging, or running at the same intensity on each surface. Concrete, asphalt, trail, rubberized track, treadmill.

The next notable difference is variance in surface terrain...the ups/downs, straights and rounds from surface to surface. Despite increasing/decreasing incline on the treadmill, it cannot duplicate what you encounter in running the same distance on an outdoor surface. Each step on an outdoor surface will have it's own fingerprint, so to speak, that your body accommodates using not only large muscles, but small, too (accessory muscles to gross motor performance.) And...that engages different connective tissue, including tendons, ligaments, and cartilage in joints (feet, ankles, knees, hips, back, etc.). Add all the steps outdoor and your body has done more accommodating than it needs to on a treadmill.

While there is nothing wrong with doing cardio on a treadmill (generally speaking), training on outdoor surfaces is more effortful for your entire body--especially muscles and connective tissue. More effort for muscles and connective tissue translates into more overall conditioning because the more you work those muscles, the harder your cardiovascular system works to keep up. The more effortful an activity is, the more calories you burn, too. Outdoor training is a wonderful way to enhance your indoor exercise program! Your indoor exercise program should also include strength training with weights, and flexibility training.

Remember, the more effortful your exercise activity, the more calories you burn. Race walking (fast walking) the fastest you can before crossing the threshhold of jogging burns more calories than does jogging, and...it is softer on your joints from ankles to neck.

One last note, even if doing for fun, you will begin the race with excitement and adrenaline--it will make it easier than you might imagine at this moment. If you plan on going in costume, make it practical, light in weight, and safe! :flowerforyou:
  • ronleuty
    ronleuty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When I started running in February, I used a treadmill exclusively for the first two months, happily working up from 12 minutes to 30 minutes. When I switched to the pavement, I was AMAZED at my per-mile time -- it was (relatively) fast.
    That being said, I ran a 10k this weekend and my speed was REALLY fast (again, relatively so). I pushed it because there was always *somebody* ahead of me who I was going to catch. So if you can resist the competitive urge to go faster, you'll be fine.
    As far as knees, etc., I've learned to be a lot more deliberate in my pre-run stretching.
    You can do it!
    What is the run?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I've been running mainly on the treadmill and regularly do the 5k distance (3.11 miles) with a 1% incline. I tried running outside for awhile a few months back, but my knee/ankle started bugging me after a few weeks, so I took a break then went back to the shock-absorbing safety of the padded treadmill.

So, really, my question is, can I run an outside 5k after mainly training on a treadmill? Should I be running larger distances (4-5mi) before I commit to a 5k? There's a run/walk 5k Oct. 27 near me that I'm thinking would be safe -- since worst case scenario I can just start walking.

Bonus question -- it's a Halloween run, how terrible of an idea is it to run in costume for my first 5k? :)

You're pretty much ready if you want to do it and you know you can do the distance.

As far as running in costume, I don't think it will be a problem as long as you aren't looking to set any records with your time.

Go - have fun!!:bigsmile: