Quinoa....please help!

Options

Replies

• Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    www.cookingquinoa.net - brilliant website with tons of free recipes and ideas! :bigsmile:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Cook it in broth and add it to pine nut hummus.
  • pabisc
    pabisc Posts: 17
    Options
    I found that if I cook the dry quinoa with a tablespoon of vegetable/canola oil (or the smart stuff) for a few minutes until lightly toasted, then I add in the water, it brings out a nuttier flavor. Then I just use it like rice by piling on sauteed vegetables.
  • Ashlee2421
    Ashlee2421 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use it as a meat substitute for tacos. >.> I mix it with brown rice.
  • Annitte
    Annitte Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/feta-oregano-quinoa-salad-481073... The internet is best for things like this! this is a very good salad! I love it... search and you shall find!! grasshopper! PS great weight loss! so far!!
  • Annitte
    Annitte Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Feta & Oregano Quinoa Salad :drinker:

By Katzen on June 16, 2012
    Photo

Photo by Katzen
    0 Reviews

timer
    Prep Time: 20 mins
    Total Time: 30 mins
    Serves: 4-6, Yield: 8.0 cups

About This Recipe

"I came across this recipe in a book called Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood, and it was a hit at a family BBQ, using the original cheese; Bocconcini. Bummed out that I didn't take the leftovers home for lunches, I made it again, this time using Herb & Garlic crumbled feta that I had in the fridge - holy bananas, feta took this salad to rock star status! I have two parrots, Merlin and Arwen (featured in some of my pics), and I had to put out two treat dishes for them, as neither would let the other near it! Try it with any good, tasty, cheese, and you'll love it - and if you don't do cheese, marinated tofu would be stellar as well. Use your imagination! One thing I can say is that when I made the salad with Bocconcini, maybe it was because I didn't marinate it, I served it immediately, but somehow, that very mild cheese just didn't do the dish justice. I sure hope you enjoy this as much as we did!"
    Ingredients

Quinoa
    3/4 cup quinoa ( white, red, black, or a combination)
    1 1/2 cups water
    Dressing
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh oregano, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried oregano

Page 2 of 3Feta & Oregano Quinoa Salad (cont.)
    Ingredients

1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
    salt, to taste
    pepper, freshly ground, to taste
    Salad
    1 cup zucchini, diced
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    1/2 cup red onions, diced
    1/2 cup baby green peas, frozen
    1 cup red bell peppers, diced
    1 cup yellow bell peppers, diced
    1 cup feta cheese, Herb & Garlic, crumbled or 1 cup bocconcini, Pearl or 1 cup bocconcini, Mini, halved

Directions

Rinse and strain the quinoa to remove the bitter coating. Most quinoa today are pre-rinsed, so check the package, but even so, I prefer to give it one more rinse. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for another 4 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the cooked quinoa with a fork. Set aside to cool.
    Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, mustard, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
    Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl; pour the dressing over the vegetables and thoroughly mix. Add the quinoa, and mix until evenly combined.
    Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.

Page 3 of 3Feta & Oregano Quinoa Salad (cont.)
    Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 (242 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Calories 337.6

Calories from Fat 154
    45%

Amount Per Serving
    % Daily Value
    Total Fat 17.2g
    26%
    Saturated Fat 6.8g
    34%
    Cholesterol 33.3mg
    11%
    Sugars 8.5 g
    Sodium 476.0mg
    19%
    Total Carbohydrate 33.9g
    11%
    Dietary Fiber 5.3g
    21%
    Sugars 8.5 g
    34%
    Protein 12.4g
    24%
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I bought it a few months ago and it's still sitting in my pantry!!
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the amazing recipes, links and ideas. I usually try to do some food prep for the week on Saturday & Sunday. I will be experimenting with this and see what I like. Hope I can convince hubby to try!
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love to mix red and white quinoa. I cook it in water then add olive oil, garbanzo beans, halved cherry tomatoes, cilantro or parley, lime juice and salt. It is good cold and warm. I eat it with grilled chicken breast or just by itself. LOVE IT!
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don’t know the recipe, but an upscale restaurant chain here in the Houston area called America’s serves quinoa with their swordfish dish. The waiter said it had cream cheese, cheese, and some other ingredients. It was delicious compared to when I tried to cook it plain, but I have yet to experiment to try to reproduce it. If anyone else has a recipe similar to this, message me please! (Since we can’t subscribe to threads for responses here)

When I googled quinoa recipes, I found several. Some of the ones listed above I will be trying as well.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump!~ thanks just bought some organic Quinoa.. going to make a nice beggie salad with them tonight!
  • rhinojoe
    Options
    bump
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/02/pumpkin-pie-quinoa-bake/

tried this the other weekend, I like more spice in my food so I went spice happy and ignored the suggested spices, but it was really tasty.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like it as a breakfast or almost like a dessert. Cook it, add cinnamon and just a little brown sugar or maple syrup. The little hint of sweet satisfies me instead of having something richer.
  • phoebeleb
    phoebeleb Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    bump...
    Thanks so much for all the tips and recipes!!!!!
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This has quinoa, cheese, and cream cheese, and its really tasty:

http://www.letsdishrecipes.com/2011/03/creamy-quinoa-primavera.html#.UG4r5JG9KSM

CREAMY QUINOA PRIMAVERA

Filed under Vegetarian, Vegetables & Side Dishes
    Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa
    3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
    4 ounces cream cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    5 cups thinly sliced or bite sized pieces assorted uncooked vegetables
    3 tablespoons grated Romano or Parmesan cheese

Directions
    Rinse quinoa thoroughly; drain. Bring quinoa and broth to boil in a 2-quart saucepan; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until broth is absorbed. While quinoa is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook garlic in butter for about one minute, stirring frequently, until golden. Stir in vegetables. Cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir cream cheese and basil into cooked quinoa. Toss vegetables with quinoa mixture and sprinkle with cheese.

**you could do some tweaking to make this healthier too.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    If you're on Facebook, "like" Quinoa Corporation. Amazing recipes.

Thank you, have you tried the chocolate cake?
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Any quinoa flour recipes?
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You have lots of ideas here. I make a big batch and put 1/2 cup servings into snack sized bags and freeze/ Ready to add to salads, soups etc.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Check out cookingquinoa.net