Jogging strollers... useful or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Very useful! I am a nanny and I have used mine a ton over the past couple of years. Invest in a good one that you will look forward to using and make sure it is comfortable for your baby. The one this family has is a Jeep stroller, and it has an optional second seat or you can lay that part down and it's a big one seater. Tons of pockets and places to put everything you need.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids, ages 3 and 6, and we have 4 strollers. With my first, I got the mid-range car seat and stroller combo. I tried to exercise with it, but it was impossible. I'm not even talking jogging here, but just walking fast would make the wheels shake. It was also too big to easily get in and out of the car for short errands and such. My hubby got me a cheap jogging stroller, and it was okay. It worked, but it was big and heavy and difficult to maneuver.

When I got pregnant with my 2nd, I decided to splurge on a BOB Duallie, and I love it! Yes, it was nearly $700, but I use it every single day. Even now that my kids are older, they still can't go for super long walks without getting tired, so it's nice to have the back-up plan. And the BOB has a 100 lb. weight limit, so it has lasted us much longer than the cheaper strollers would have. Plus, you can tell the quality by how easy it is to push, even carrying a load of nearly 100 lbs.

My second recommendation would be to get a nicer umbrella stroller. You'll have to wait until your baby has head control to use it, but it's definitely easier to keep in the car and take out for short errands. I have this one, and it's still in pretty good shape even after 5 years:
    http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Capri-Lightweight-Stroller-Tangerine/dp/B000FFS9VM/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1349361092&sr=1-1&keywords=chicco+umbrella+stroller
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I liked my basic stroller, but my budget would have never paid for a jogging one.
  • JolieJemmaMomma
    JolieJemmaMomma Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just bought a double BOB jogging stroller (on craigslist). I LOVE it!!! my 3 year old loves it too and asks every night if we can go for a walk! that is all the motivation i need :)
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I would have done without mine.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    agree with the rest of the posters that jogging strollers are quite useful, and can frequently replace the other ones, but wanted to add one quick bit of advice... check the height of the handlebar before you register (not sure how tall you are)... the first 2 strollers i had i ended up giving away/selling because they were designed for "normal" women (e.g. 5'4") - and it's hard to run well when hunched over to push the darned thing... :flowerforyou: best of luck!
  • mishomart
    mishomart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We've had several different ones over the years. For jogging, I'd highly recommend a Chariot (http://www.chariotcarriers.com/en/CA) or similar type of jogging stroller. We've got tonnes of usage out of ours with both boys (currently 4 and 5-1/2) and are still using it (mostly for biking and cross-country skiing if I have both boys, but longer walks for the youngest, and even the eldest still when the weather's a bit inclement). They're a bit pricey new, but I see them for sale used online all the time in my area.

I highly suggest the Chariot too....I LOVE mine and depending on what your weather is like, they are a lifesave through the winter. Those things can handle pretty much and weather and the kids stay warm adn dry. I bought a double when my first was only 6 months old and I have never ever regretted it. You can run, walk, bike, hike and everything in between with that beast. My daughter is now 4 and my son is 2 and we still use it often, I've even fit up to 4 kids in there when was babysitting.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes, baby needs to be 6 months and able to hold own head before running with them though, I have a baby jogger performance and its fantastic, my daughter loved it and its only now she is almost 4 that we don't use it, its a fabulous freedom and i think helps show little ones a healthy lifestyle can be fun :-)
  • Julettashane
    Julettashane Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    yes get one....my son is 3 and i cheaped out and got a $15 umbrella stroller....BAHAHAHAH what a crazy ride those wheels flip every which way im positive i look like a wreck waiting to happen
  • lovegrace21
    lovegrace21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it! Not only do you get a workout in...it always helped my little ones fall asleep!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We had two running strollers. One was a Runabout from Berg Design in Oregon. It is a little different from the others. It has smaller wheels and a hard seat. I think we liked that one best.
    But, I might wait. Babies who ride in running strollers at too young an age can get detached retinas. I would research this before you take the child out.
    They did not know about this problem when my kid were young, and we took our kids out for long runs almost as soon as they could hold their head up. Fortunately, we had no problems.
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I never had one, but if this is your first child, I'm gonna guess you are new to the wonderful, overwhelming world of strollers. You CANNOT use any old stroller to jog. You HAVE to use a jogging stroller. You should be able to get one within your price range.

Good luck!
  • acelynp2
    acelynp2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You have gotten great advice and add me to the list of jogging stroller lovers (had a Bob many years ago). I would suggest trying Craig's List for deals. Same thing for if you want a bike trailer--try CL. Also, for the first few months, if you aren't going to be jogging, but walking instead, I recommend a Baby Bjorn or similar carrier. I walked everywhere with my infants in those and it was so much freer than the stroller. I used my jogging stroller a lot more when the kids were 1-3 years but mine didn't sleep too well so I didn't jog much the first year...
    For any stroller, especially if you are taller, you should test it out in the store. I am 5'9" with a long stride and many strollers were either too short or I would get tripped up in the wheels when I walked. In addition to my Bob, I had a Graco travel system with air tires and a MacLaren umbrella stroller. These were great. There are lots more choices now too.
    Good luck!
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    As others have said, you have to have a jogging stroller in order to jog. The Chicco will be great for everyday though.

I got a Bob revolution, love it. Go walking on our uneven streets with it all the time, but never really took to jogging with it. Just didn't like it. Not the strollers fault.

Also, never jog with a baby under 6-8 months. Yes, those strollers have carseat attachments....for strolling. Not running.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have the cheapest $99 jogging stroller by Baby Trend and I love it.
    I run on a trail with it 5 times per week for about 4 miles (20 miles per week) and I also use it a lot for the mall or bigger stores like Target. So, I put even more mileage on it.
    I have been using it hard like this for 6 months with not one complaint. It does absolutely everything I need it to.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started with one from a friend and then got a B.O.B and it was the BEST money spent. First, it keeps my sons head from shaking, second I can run anywhere and it holds my drinks :) SOOOOO worth the money! Also, make sure you get one that you can put the carseat in if you plan to run when your baby is just a lil one.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it! Not only do you get a workout in...it always helped my little ones fall asleep!
    So true!