Muscles are heavier than fat, right?

Replies

• Crystalmac82
    Crystalmac82 Posts: 70 Member
    NADS,
    MUSCLES DO WAY MORE THAN FAT! THEY R HEAVIER CUZ THEY R MUSCLES. SO LIKE 1 LB OF MUSCLE WEIGHZ MORE THAN 1 LB OF FAT ,MAKE SENSE?

So i need ta loose more muscle wayght than fat wayght ta evn out?

hahahahahaah! :laugh:
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    A pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound, but a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat! If you are thinner, and are liking how you look, then I would not change a thing! The scale is not the only measurement of health.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    pedantic

very nice!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member

I played this game way to long before that finally sunk in --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Muscle Does Not Weigh More Than Fat (five pounds is five pounds), but it is Much Nicer to Look at --> http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

stop spamming.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Everyone knows that a pound is a pound is a pound is a pound. When people say that muscle is heavier than fat, they mean per unit volume. The "per unit volume" is implied. When people are talking about this in reference to their body weight, they are asking about the same volume of fat versus muscle on, for example, their arms. A given volume of muscle on your arm will weigh more than that same given volume of fat. This is what people mean when they say muscle is heavier than fat. No one is under the impression that one pound of one thing is lighter than one pound of another thing.

^^^Thank you!!!! And people that are trying to argue, JUST WANT TO ARGUE!

Duh, people! we know a pound of something is the same weight as a pound of another. But, if I stick a pound of muscle under my shirt, compared to a pound of feathers, which is going to be bigger.
  • PeachyKeene
    I've been going to the gym for about 4 months now, really enjoying it. Trying to watch what I eat, but I like my burgers and biscuits and I don't want to become a gym fanatic.
    I was actually quite normal size before I started and just wanted to tone up a bit and lose a couple of kilos. I've noticed I tone up really quickly, so I reduced my weight training and increased my cardio. I go to the gym 2 x 2hrs a week.
    I can tell I look a bit slimmer and toned BUT I'm putting weight on. I assume muscles are heavier than fat? I just wanna lose 3 kgs, I can't seem to shift any weight on those typical female areas while the rest of my body is toning up. Any tips? I know about nutrition, watch what i eat (in moderation) and no, I don't wanna go on a diet that I can't keep up for very long anyway.
    Any tips for a more fat burning workout? What to eat in particular before/after workout?

Can anyone recommend any fat burning supplements that include appetite suppressants? Nothing too strong though and is there anything specifically for women?

Just do cardio, stop weight training. Pick cardio that targets the areas you want worked on. If you want less butt and thighs, then run, less stomach then dance Zumba etc..
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    The only way for you to bulk is gain fat. Otherwise its probably perception. Have you gained weight or inches in your arms? Do you eat a lot of protein and do very heavy, low rep weight training? I say this because women can only gain about 2 lbs of muscle a month.

No, I've gone tighter altogether. Yes the weight gain has been explained to me. 'Muscles are denser than fat.'
    I know if I just want to tone I need to do light weights and high reps, right?
    I don't measure and only weigh myself leisurely, but yes, I'd say I gained 2lbs altogether in the last month.

In terms of reps, you want to keep them under 15 and you wan to make sure the last 3 are very tough. I would actually suggest limiting reps to 6-10 as you will increase strength over if you did 15 reps. Although, if you want, you can alter back and forth every 30 days to work different muscle fibers. Low Reps will improve fast twitch fibers (power and explosiveness) while higher reps will improve slow twitch (endurance) fibers. Both are just as effective for cutting fat, but neither will cause you to bulk.

Like I said, only fat can make a women bulk (as demonstrated by the two links below). I would advise you to start trying your calories as well (and don't aim for an aggressive goal like 2 lbs a week) so we can get a baseline of your diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • ilovedeadlifts

Just do cardio, stop weight training. Pick cardio that targets the areas you want worked on. If you want less butt and thighs, then run, less stomach then dance Zumba etc..

I cringed when I read this.

Weight training will bring about the best results when it comes to changing your body. There's not way that you're gaining so much muscle that it's offsetting the fat loss. So by all means continue weight training.

Diets are pretty basic math for the most part. If you aren't losing weight, you're doing something wrong and just need to adjust it. But you don't change your workouts.....you change your diet.
  • psuLemon
    I've been going to the gym for about 4 months now, really enjoying it. Trying to watch what I eat, but I like my burgers and biscuits and I don't want to become a gym fanatic.
    I was actually quite normal size before I started and just wanted to tone up a bit and lose a couple of kilos. I've noticed I tone up really quickly, so I reduced my weight training and increased my cardio. I go to the gym 2 x 2hrs a week.
    I can tell I look a bit slimmer and toned BUT I'm putting weight on. I assume muscles are heavier than fat? I just wanna lose 3 kgs, I can't seem to shift any weight on those typical female areas while the rest of my body is toning up. Any tips? I know about nutrition, watch what i eat (in moderation) and no, I don't wanna go on a diet that I can't keep up for very long anyway.
    Any tips for a more fat burning workout? What to eat in particular before/after workout?

Can anyone recommend any fat burning supplements that include appetite suppressants? Nothing too strong though and is there anything specifically for women?

This is poor advice... Cutting WT will hurt your long term results. It is no secret that only doing cardio will increase the chances of losing lean body mass as well as slowing your metabolic rate. WT and muscle is what makes a body tight and lean. And regardless of what myths are out there... WT does NOT bulk a person, especially a women and even more so if you are on a calorie deficit. The only way a man can "bulk" is eating more calories than they burn.

The few exceptions to gaining new lean body mass on a calorie deficit: morbidly obese, noob gains (like 1-2 lbs of muscle) or some elite athletes can gain muscle in the legs.
  • PeachyKeene

This is poor advice... Cutting WT will hurt your long term results. It is no secret that only doing cardio will increase the chances of losing lean body mass as well as slowing your metabolic rate. WT and muscle is what makes a body tight and lean. And regardless of what myths are out there... WT does NOT bulk a person, especially a women and even more so if you are on a calorie deficit. The only way a man can "bulk" is eating more calories than they burn.

The few exceptions to gaining new lean body mass on a calorie deficit: morbidly obese, noob gains (like 1-2 lbs of muscle) or some elite athletes can gain muscle in the legs.

Works for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So tell me exactly how it is bad advice. I am loving my results.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    would you want a number on a scale to be low but look like ****, or would you want a number on a scale to be high, but look amazing?

Seriously, the things people complain about. "Help, I'm continually looking better, but an arbitrary number on a machine noone else will ever see is not moving like how i want it too. What do I do?" gag

I hate posts that just say THIS ^^ but it's hard not to like your post. Perfecto ;-)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ^^agreed.

focus on looking better, not what the scale says.
  • psuLemon

Works for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So tell me exactly how it is bad advice. I am loving my results.

Do you track your body fat?
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Muscle is not heavier then fat, 5 lbs of fat weighs the same as 5 lbs of muscle. Ok, we all know that. The difference is that fat is shaped, well, like a blob and muscle is shaped, well, really nice (check out a six-pack on a guy). I had a pic showing this, let's see if I can find it;) No, not the guy with the six-pack, the muscle compared to fat, :laugh: fat-vs-muscle.jpg
    Denise:drinker: :drinker:

• PeachyKeene

No, but I like what my body looks like, and it is not cut muscle, it is a little soft, but I like that! Maybe the OP will too.
  • jesz124

No, but I like what my body looks like, and it is not cut muscle, it is a little soft, but I like that! Maybe the OP will too.

And maybe she won't? It's bad advice because by just chucking in loads of cardio she will reduce her lean muscle. This sucks. Full stop.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ^^I like you. you're fiesty.
  • jesz124
    ^^I like you. you're fiesty.

I have been known to share my opinion on occasion yes lol , thank you :smile:
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Can anyone recommend any fat burning supplements that include appetite suppressants?

Exercise...and food. :drinker:
  • llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    Usually when some one asks this question they are referring to the weight verses or to mass ratio (the weight of the same amount of two different materials). In this case muscle will weigh more then fat....

Sorry keyboard went crazy