Did you give up "yummy" food?

Options
I just calculated a normal Olive garden trip for me, and it's around 2500 calories in one sitting...
and the chili cheese fries I love downtown are more that 1500 calories..
and my favorite wrap is about 1500 as well..

I will definitely think twice about eating out, now...
That's CRAZY

Did you give up eating your favorite foods?
Did you replace them, cut down, or just get rid of them?
Do you have "cheat" days?

Replies

• gissalm
    gissalm Posts: 41
    Options
    I did give up on some of them for the time being - meaning while I’m losing weight, I can introduce them back when I am at my ideal weight but right now I have to cut some of them because there is no way you can lose weight eating the same stuff you were eating before ... that said.

I still have some of them in now but in moderation, i have cut the portions drastically because I realized what I was eating was insane, chili fries for 1500 cals?? Are they worth it? it takes so much for us to drop pounds and so little to gain .. I would say you could have them occasionally as a splurge. You need to introduce them to your life in moderation and conscious that they are not the ideal meal, you know now how many calories they have and you do know they aren’t good for your body.

I went to a restaurant for the first time after a month that I started here, and I cut my portions, ate a bit of everything and I didn’t gain weight, but I logged everything I ate so I was accountable for those red numbers, I only had 300 cal extras but I felt great having that day, I don’t do that every weekend, and during the week I eat very clean.

Hope that helps :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1. Did you give up eating your favorite foods?
    2. Did you replace them, cut down, or just get rid of them?
    3. Do you have "cheat" days?

1. Yes, on a regular basis I have given up eating many foods that I like but felt were too high in unhealthy ingredients or calories. But if it's something I really like I will occasionally have it. Depending on just how high calorie or how unhealthy I believe it to be, occasionally maybe every couple of weeks or 2-3 times a year.

2. I make healthier versions of many of my favorite high calorie or unhealthy foods. In some cases I've found I like the healthy versions better and very rarely eat the original verson. In others, I still splurge on the real thing occasionally because the healthier version just isn't quite as good.

3. I don't plan cheat days, but yes, I have days where I eat and drink with abandon. These are usually occasions (birthdays, reunions, parties, holidays, etc.) I also don't eat the same number of calories every day so some days I'm under the MFP limit and some days I go over, which could be considered a cheat day I suppose.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

1. I gave up a lot of what I thought were my favorite foods. I went vegan, so I gave up a lot. But now that I have done it, I cannot believe how much I LOVE what I am eating.

2. I kind of replaced them. For instance, a lot of the things I used to love eating, like nachos, tacos, etc. I still eat, just a different version.

3. I rarely have cheat days. Mainly because when I do it makes me feel yucky and reminds me why I started this whole thing to start with.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of all three.

When it came to the real junk that wasn't that great in the first place like snack cakes and sub-par chocolate bars, I totally gave them up. For the things I kept around, I try to make sure they fit into my goals, or at least don't put me over too much...but there are certain times of the month when I just don't care and it's worth it for me to give in to the craving and go over a couple hundred calories. I also made some changes in my choices and portions for those things I kept around. So instead of sharing a large loaded pizza with hubby, I get my own small with veggies only and eat 3-4 pieces.

I also have cheat days but keep them to a minimum - like once every couple of months I meet up with my best girlfriends and we have a special meal and drinks together. I try to make good choices most of the time but I'm a foody so if there's something really special that I haven't had in years or haven't ever tried, I'm going for it. We usually do something active when we get together (walk a lot, hike, dance) so in the end it's not too bad. The drinks are usually the worst of it...
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options

It all depends, really. Some of my favorite foods are like, Chicago style hot dogs, which I never really ate all the time to begin with, anyway. Two things I've struggled with are diet pepsi (SO GOOD!) and chips. I just really love chips. I have less of a sweet tooth and could just eat chips all day. But I've been trying to eat cleaner and so far I've found that it's actually helped curb my cravings a lot because I'm fuller longer since I'm not eating empty calories. I know a lot of people say if you can fit it into your macros, you can still eat it, but at least in my experience I feel like I haven't been that successful with that method. Hence, cleaning up my eating!

I don't do full on cheat days, but I found meal planning has helped a lot with planning out when I'm going out to dinner with friends or going home to visit my parents where the food isn't as healthy. Like if I'm going to be going out for dinner, I'll pack healthier breakfasts and lunches to work, etc. It's really all about balance!
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I've gone to Five Guys and still ended the day with a calorie deficit. You just have to plan for the "yummy" food.
  • jbaca9602
    jbaca9602 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My favorite foods are homemade. I love bringing home ingredients from the co-op. That being said, I do have a "bachelor food" that I had been abstaining from because of calories that I'm letting myself eat now. I make a noodle dish with slices of Kraft cheese melted in, garlic & butter, with tuna and some mixed veggies. But otherwise, I love my salads, I love chicken cacciatore, I love roasting chicken and pouring the juice from an orange on it... so many healthy foods. I didn't have to change the foods I eat to start this path, just the amounts.

I still enjoy cheesecake & homemade brownies, just in moderation.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have given up all the foods that were my favorites. Once I get to goal weight, I will allow myself an occasional treat, but plan to eat healthy, lik eI am now, as a rule. I do not have cheat days, because I have gone that direction befoe. I cheat day woud turn into a cheat weekend, then a cheat week...then I was totally off my diet. I know it works for some people, but it just doesn't for me.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I did, for the most part. Not completely, I mean I still have pizza on the weekends with my boyfriend, but I don't have bacon on it anymore, and I have salad with it so I eat less pizza.
    but because I'm only trying to lose 15 lbs that has been very stubborn, I need to make big changes. Not only do I really need to stay in my calorie budget, but I have to fill it with really healthy foods. No more little dorito bags or a couple of DD munchkins or white pasta/bread, or extra cream and mocha in my coffee, or cake at work during birthdays (that happened today, TWICE)
    And I have never been an active person. Now in the gym 4-5 times/week for 45mins-1hr.

I finally decided I'm worth it. And the junk food isn't.
  • mlovebug
    Options

1. I gave up a lot of what I thought were my favorite foods. I went vegan, so I gave up a lot. But now that I have done it, I cannot believe how much I LOVE what I am eating.

2. I kind of replaced them. For instance, a lot of the things I used to love eating, like nachos, tacos, etc. I still eat, just a different version.

3. I rarely have cheat days. Mainly because when I do it makes me feel yucky and reminds me why I started this whole thing to start with.

Wow, vegan? That's intense. Was that a slow process, or did you just go full force all at once?
    What made you decide to go that route?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The weird thing is, the food that you don't think is yummy right now, gets yummier as you eat more of it.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options

I have given up fried foods. I just cant see it fitting into my day. Ive also given up soda and only drink water with an occasional sweet tea as a treat.

As for other foods or baked goods, I research and find healthy versions or alternatives. if you havent been on here long, be sure to check out the recipe forum as there are so many yummy items to try.

Ive only been at it for a little over a month and havent had a "cheat day" yet. I had a meal out at TGI Fridays and was blown away that i consumed close to 1500 calories. I immediately felt guilty and headed to the gym where i burned off over 600 of them. So I got in tune with what my body wants, craves, and needs and have been able to keep it at a natural balance.

best of luck in your journey! :)
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Moderation is key in life. So no. Because I have balance in my diet.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have been learning portion control. I order what I like, but I realize it's usually enough for 3-4 meals. I take it home, or I share it with my kids/husband. Or if we go somewhere that has a lighter, more fit friendly meal I will order off that. Or make small substitutions. I'm not going to deny myself 100% of the time, but just leanring to adjust.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    No I did not give anything up and never will. I know myself and if I tried to give up the things I like I will go binge on them and fail. So now I just fit it into my calories.

If I go out to eat, I try to find out ahead of time nutritional info and I try to split a meal with someone. There are tricks to it. For instance try ordering off the kids menu or ask about smaller portions. Ask for a box at the beginning of the meal and put half away immediately. I eat out fairly often and have cut back quite a bit but still can't give up my junk, I just try to have it in moderation.

Good luck!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The weird thing is, the food that you don't think is yummy right now, gets yummier as you eat more of it.

yeeeep
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    When I'm watching calories I give them up. But sometimes I just eat them because they're delicious, and why would I stop eating things I love?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Not veggies. =( At least for me. :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up any food, and regularly eat "yummy" food. The stuff that's high in calories, or low in nutrients, I eat less often than I did, and in smaller portions. I also try to make sure I hit my macronutrient targets, and get plenty of micronutrients before I start accounting for the other stuff. I don't really substitute items with "low fat" or "lite" versions, I prefer to just have what I like, and fit it in. Moderation and portion control are a big part of my diet.

I don't have planned cheat days because I don't feel deprived so I don't feel like I need to splurge. There are of course days when I eat over my calorie goal just because that's life - special occasions, or something unexpected. I reach or exceed my maintenance level maybe two or three times a month.

I don't eat at restaurants very often though, so when I do, I just have whatever I want. If that was a more regular thing, I'd have to get a different plan of action.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My husband and I usually do 1 cheat meal a week. This is a life change for us. It's a new way of living. We don't cut out foods entirely, we just eat them less often. If we're doing this for the rest of our lives, we're not going to deprive ourselves. There ARE certain restaurants we try to avoid now..the big one is Chinese. We will not touch Chinese food anymore because there is pretty much nothing good for you there. I try to avoid Olive Garden, as well, even though it was my fav restaurant because their pasta dishes are absolutely awful for you. If I do go now I usually get soup, salad, and breadsticks. They have my favorite dessert in the world, Black Tie Mousse Cake, so that's a challenge!! I also looked at foods I used to eat on a regular basis before starting this journey, and it's really frightening!! I think the key is to not deprive yourself, just eat bad things less often, and you'll also enjoy them SO much more when you do have them!!!!!!