Perfect daily meals, or road to death?

Options
2»

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I know several people who did this on a short term basis... and here is why- they were working on the project from hell desk job and all they had time was for a couple of bananas, protein drink or bar, and oatmeal from starbucks with their morning coffee. (and they kept their trusty waterbottle with them filled at all times) And I mean people who work 12 hours a day with some overnighters to meet some crazy IPO deadline .

They went back to a healthy diet when they had time to go grocery shopping or sit down and eat a civilized business lunch.

That being said, I gained 25 pounds sitting beside them eating whatever the client provided for lunch, breakfast and dinner in six weeks. Not good. If you asked for healthy food you got ceaser salad.

I am sure I would not do a diet like they did, but it did work for them for the duration of the project. But it wasn't something they enjoyed.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I basically do that now but I eat meals on Wed and Sat (NO Red Meat). I have a specific medical purpose and also I KNOW it is for a limited time. This is NOT sustainable for Life. It MAY work for you if you have a particular purpose and a time limit. It won't sustain you for Life. Also remember there WILL be a "Recoil" when you begin to eat regularly (NO Matter how healthy). "Recoil" as I call it is when you regain 5-10 lbs until your metabolism adjusts itself when you begin to eat regularly.

ETA: WOW, didn't know you were so young and trying to get to 155 lbs....Your weight NOW is perfect for your height. Why not try for more muscle if you desire; that eating plan would NOT be the way to get more muscle. Why do a 6 ft tall, 18 y.o. male wants to be 155 lbs., are you a male model or possibly Gay? Asking if you are Gay because many young men I counsel who are Gay suffer with distorted Body Image and eating disorders.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Personally, I couldn't/wouldn't be happy doing that. Could you honestly see yourself eating that way for the rest of your life? If not, then whatever results you achieve from this diet aren't going to last.
    Any evidence for that?

Plenty of people on here have managed to lose weight with severely reduced calorie and a very different diet, then keep it off by changing to a 'normal' diet.

That being said, it doesn't sound like a good way to keep your body working well to me.
    Definitely not 'treating your body like a temple' as the OP's profile suggests.
    Unless you want to lose weight VERY quickly for a very good reason - ie a photoshoot or something, it seems to make much more sense to aim for say a 1000 calorie deficit with 150-200g of protein a day. If pretty active should be able to do that and still eat fairly 'normally'; thus be losing 2lb of fat a week, getting the results you want pretty quickly. Ok, might not get quite those results in reality, but we're not talking a massive amount of time whatever if you've got the motivation to stick to it.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If this is what you actually want to eat, then I don't see a problem with it. As long as it's not a diet but a lifestyle. I usually eat mainly oatmeal and veggies/fruits (and an occasional protein shake) Monday through Friday lunch and the Friday dinner through Sunday eat a LOT of proteins and fats, but that's because I PREFER eating like that. During the week, those are the easiest and tastiest things for me and it means I can basically be snacking on fruits and veggies all the livelong day and not reach my calorie goals (but the fruits handily take care of my sweet tooth at work surrounded by candy baskets on people's desks...). I then end up having plenty of net calories for the week leftover for the weekends when I tend to eat out a lot. Cooking for one is annoying and I hate leftovers, so this lifestyle works for me and will most likely continue to work for me until I have more mouths to cook for to make that worthwhile during the week. But only do this if this will make you happy. Eating should not be a challenge or a chore, even when trying to lose weight. If you are excited about what you have in your lunch bag, you won't be so tempted when co-workers ask you if you want to go in on a pizza or go on a fast food run.
  • michaleen187
    michaleen187 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with my dietitian! I had already bought meal supplement protein shakes and was planning on doing the same thing and I told her about it. She didn't agree with doing this because the biggest part of weight loss is portion control and one doesn't learn that by using a supplement. She did say that as a start to weight loss it would be fine, because it will teach the discipline in caloric intake that is needed for the lifestyle change. However, she said this is not a "cure all" and it is not permanent, it should only be done for no more than 30 days. The only way it works is if the weight that is lost while supplementing with protein shakes is maintained with regular food which in your case will be hard if the caloric intake is half protein supplements. Maybe think about choosing one meal a day to supplement and see if it works for you. I
  • trospert
    trospert Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be 155lbs at 6ft tall and 18 yo? Not a good look!!!

why not go for a good weight for your height and age and go for some weights/running/exercise to tone yourself???

I tend to agree, that at 155lbs & 6ft tall, it seems like you may be underweight...? I mean, I'm only 5'2" and I only weight about 20 lbs below that! I can't say, professionally, that it would be good or bad for you, but I do think that if you want to try this to jump start your weight loss it might work, but like everyone has said, after an initial jump start you should probably just try to have balanced, healthy meals.
    Good luck to you!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I understand the love for the taste of a well made protein shake, and the awesome quick protein you can get, but in my experience it's not a healthy thing to have a lot of for a long period of time. You could try getting in a protein shake a few times a week after/before workouts, and keep the rest of your days full of protein from whole foods like fish, steak, and eggs, combined with a generous helping of veggies and some fruit for vitamins and fiber.

The thing with protein shakes is that at first you feel GREAT, like you could do this forever! But after a while of not getting enough variety and not enough whole foods, your body and mood start changing and your energy may drop, along with your health.

Good luck, and remember to eat foods with lots of natural (not artificially added back in) vitamins and minerals to keep your body healthy and full of energy!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Some days I get around half my calories from protein shakes, but I try to have at least 3 meals worth of solid food per day. Usually one of my shakes will contain natural peanut butter to help me get my daily fats. I will usually blend them with frozen fruit to give me some variety in flavor.

I usually just use them for pre, and post workout, and either for a bed time snack, or when I am in a place where I can't cook a solid meal, but need to get something in my system.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If it's fake (protein shakes), it probably isn't good for you long-term. If you have a choice between fast food and a protein shake, obviously go with the shake, but it shouldn't be a few times a day kind of thing.

Also, you need good fats (omega-3) not only to be healthy but to burn fat, lose weight as well as maintain. Ultimately, you want to moderate & eat normally (so that it's sustainable long-term) but control your portions.

How are protein shakes fake?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    If it's fake (protein shakes), it probably isn't good for you long-term. If you have a choice between fast food and a protein shake, obviously go with the shake, but it shouldn't be a few times a day kind of thing.

Also, you need good fats (omega-3) not only to be healthy but to burn fat, lose weight as well as maintain. Ultimately, you want to moderate & eat normally (so that it's sustainable long-term) but control your portions.

How are protein shakes fake?

see my fake food thread for clarification

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/759941-i-dont-eat-fake-food