Anyone with Depression/Anxiety

Options

Replies

• bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Identify the cause and then let it go.

How exactly do you let go of a biological neurotransmitter imbalance? I'm intrigued.

I don't think some people understand the difference between clinical depression and being in a 'funk,' it's quite frankly offensive.

I think being aware of your mental state and catching yourself before you get really deep into a depressive episode is key.

Actually I do understand the difference and was not trying to be offensive. Sometimes the answer for someone isn't that complicated and I based my response on my personal experience, just like everyone else is doing. I guess since just "letting go" worked for me it's considered offensive. Awesome.

If you had a cause of your sadness that you could 'let go' and things got better then you are not clinically depressed, you're just sad. Being sad is healthy and actually a sign you are not depressed in a medical sense. Ups and downs in your mental state are part of being human- being clinically depressed is like a straight line of your mental state, with no ups or downs. Clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain, not by outside influences (although outside influence can exacerbate the situation.) It's not just you, it is confusing since you can be 'depressed' in the emotional sense and/or you can have 'depression' in the medical sense, which are two very different things.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I always try to remind myself that, once I drag my butt out of bed and work out, I'll feel better. And I do. Easier said than done, of course, since I usually hit a wall after a few weeks or months and go back to bad habits, but it's a good motivator for awhile. I also keep a supply of B-vitamins and L-Theanine on hand. The B-vitamins help me fight off depression and Theanine is a derivative of green tea that can help with anxiety. If I can't seem to motivate myself on my own, I make sure to start taking my vitamins again, and it helps. You can find both of them at Whole Foods if you happen to be interested.

I agree with the B-vitamins, I do that as well... but I haven't mastered it yet either! If it's a really bad day, you'll find me in bed the entire day fighting a battle in my head, ugh!
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Been on Citalopram for just over a year and I have gained around 14lbs.
    I just try to keep smiling even on those days when I'm feeling down or hopeless.
    My hubby is great and keeps keep me going too.
    I'd like to come off the medication but I'm quite scared to at the moment so any advice is appreciated xxx
  • skyeliz525
    skyeliz525 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ugh...i know I should be on meds, but I don't have insurance. and I make too much for any sort of help. it blows. i have struggled with anxiety and depression since I was a child.

There are plenty of meds that can be prescribed that come with their own discount cards...I get mine for $30/30 day supply. You just need to ask around. There are also generics that are very good. Maybe you need to visit the health department and see if they can help you...just a suggestion! I know what it's like dealing (or not) on your own and it sucks! Best of luck to you. *hugs*
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Also, anyone else with PTSD that suffers from recurring nightmares? If so, any suggestions on how to stop them? They are seriously about to be the death of me. I don't want to live afraid, either. I find myself extremely paranoid everywhere I go due to past incidences. Any suggestions/advice truly welcome! Please message me! :)

I have been having nightmares too over the last few weeks, some I remember and others I don't but they scare me a lot and I feel so exhausted when I wake up x
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from anxiety and depression as well. I have tried prescription pills and they either make me gain weight or they don't work at all. Fortunately, I believe, and have experienced that fighting it myself works best. I take my mind off those negative feelings, by either going to out to help someone or visit a family member or friend, just saying a prayer, working around the house, or just calling someone and telling them how I feel. I have also come to realize that depression is a selfish disease because you are only thinking about yourself and not how this is affecting your family. I have been off pills for several years now. I still have days where it may hit me all of sudden or just creep in; but I will fight it whatever way I can. I have found that exercise helps a huge bit too. Hope you can get something from this...
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Been reading over this thread and I feel for all of you going through this. I am not one of those people who can just "identify the cause and move on." Trauma at various stages in my life has made that neurologically and hormonally impossible. So I thought I might make a short list of things that have helped me anyway. I'm excluding the obvious like therapy, because I really believe that you will only benefit from therapy if you're in a place where you're willing to do the work that therapy necessitates and if you can identify a healthy relationship with a therapist. So, that being said, here are some resources that help me with depression and anxiety outside of medication and therapy:

- Chamomile or valerian root tea. Both herbs help lessen anxiety and help sleep. Valerian especially helps calm me down and keep flashbacks or nightmares away. I can't speak to St. John's Wort because I've never taken it. Ladies be aware that St. John's Wort can compromise the effectiveness of hormonal birth control!

- A stoplight system. Basically, when I'm faced with a situation that makes me anxious I categorize it as either Red (NOPE DANGEROUS NOT DOING IT), Yellow (I don't feel good about this but it won't kill me), or Green (I'm as close to totally comfortable doing this as I'm ever going to be). I recognize that Red moments will happen and I avoid them. I try to move forward in as many Yellow moments as feel safe to me, so that when Red moments arise I can hopefully tackle them with a better coping mechanism.

- Self-care. Sometimes, when you can't even get out of bed, all you need to do is tell yourself that waking up is enough. You woke up today. Maybe you cried the whole time but you DID do something. And that's okay. It's okay if all you did today was shower. Or eat. Or even just breathe. Be compassionate to yourself. If you have the energy and motivation, take it a step further and do something kind for yourself. Take an extra hour to read more of that novel you've been working on, or listen to that song you like, or walk to the drugstore and buy a new lipstick/nail polish/whatever.

- Distraction. When I'm in the middle of a bad episode I try to find something distracting. I look at pictures of myself and my loved ones. I cuddle with my pets. I take a shower. For those of you who sometimes self-harm, try eating a really spicy food. Something that gives you physical sensation but doesn't actually cause harm.

I hope these are helpful for some people, and keep on keepin' on!
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Im afraid i know nothing of anxiety
    but as a psychology student who had had depression anything relating to depression stuck in my head!.... exercise is supposed to release hormones which combat depression...
    i wrote loads more but im not in the right mood to finish it now so ill leave it at that x
  • bethfartman
    Options

- A stoplight system. Basically, when I'm faced with a situation that makes me anxious I categorize it as either Red (NOPE DANGEROUS NOT DOING IT), Yellow (I don't feel good about this but it won't kill me), or Green (I'm as close to totally comfortable doing this as I'm ever going to be). I recognize that Red moments will happen and I avoid them. I try to move forward in as many Yellow moments as feel safe to me, so that when Red moments arise I can hopefully tackle them with a better coping mechanism.

That is a great tip, I'm totally going to use this. Thanks!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If you've not discovered this website: thebloggess.com , give it a looksee. Jenny is a terrific writer (her first book has been on NYTimes best seller list!) and she writes about her bouts of depression, too. Her fans often share that or similar issues, and it's a lovely community! I especially love when a seemingly random comment turns into a movement - for instance, The Red Dress Project. You'll have to check her out to see what I mean. A lovely, very real, and very giving person.

I've been on Zoloft for several years, after trying a few other meds, and it seems to do the trick for me. I also saw a therapist off and on for quite some time (on a year, off a year, that kind of thing) and highly recommend it, if you have that option available.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression and anxiety for a long time, too. Over 12 years, I took every anti-depressant available, in various doses and combinations. Nothing helped in the long-term. I've seen psychiatrists, psychologists, psychotherapists; done CBT, mindfulness (DBT), grief counselling and group therapy. I was ready to give up this year. I didn't have a plan, but I felt like I was waiting to die. I was just so tired after feeling so bad for so long.

Amazingly (I still can't believe it) what helped me was changing my diet. It really was transformative. I cut out sugar and processed foods and within a week I'd started feeling more like a human being again. And when I started feeling better, I wanted to keep feeling better and so I made more little changes - I started exercising at home; I tried to take a walk everyday; little things like that.

It's still really, really hard and, if I'm honest, the novelty of feeling better has worn off and I feel overwhelmed by all the difficulties. (In a way, it's much easier when you don't care and nothing matters because you already see yourself as dead.)

I've been in a hole the last few days and just had to face the fact that I wasn't eating as well as I could or exercising. For me, when I feel that bad, there's really nothing I can do but wait until I find a foothold. Once I've got that foothold, I can build on it.

One of the hardest things for me to learn has been how to take care of myself - but eating well and exercising are a big part of that.

I agree with this -
    For example, one of the best things anyone ever suggested to me was to speak to myself as if I were 5 year old me. What would you say to a five year old if she were upset? Chances are you wouldn't berate her, call her stupid, lazy, etc.

Whenever I start to berate myself now, I stop and put the kettle on. Or I go out and buy a new box of herbal tea. Try treating yourself when you need it, not when you think you deserve it.

I think being kind to yourself is the most important thing you can do, even if you feel undeserving, especially if you feel undeserving. Like the poster above said, how would you speak to your friend or your sister or your niece if she was in a similar situation? You'd be caring, you'd be supportive, you'd be non-judgemental. You've got to try to give that to yourself, too.

Good luck.

Feel free to add me (that goes for anyone. I'm not always going to be an inspiration, but I hope I'd be a support.)
  • annacarmel83
    Options
    Bump...to read and reply when I have time in the morning.
  • RunningDirty
    Options

How exactly do you let go of a biological neurotransmitter imbalance? I'm intrigued.

I don't think some people understand the difference between clinical depression and being in a 'funk,' it's quite frankly offensive.

I think being aware of your mental state and catching yourself before you get really deep into a depressive episode is key.

Actually I do understand the difference and was not trying to be offensive. Sometimes the answer for someone isn't that complicated and I based my response on my personal experience, just like everyone else is doing. I guess since just "letting go" worked for me it's considered offensive. Awesome.

If you had a cause of your sadness that you could 'let go' and things got better then you are not clinically depressed, you're just sad. Being sad is healthy and actually a sign you are not depressed in a medical sense. Ups and downs in your mental state are part of being human- being clinically depressed is like a straight line of your mental state, with no ups or downs. Clinical depression is caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain, not by outside influences (although outside influence can exacerbate the situation.) It's not just you, it is confusing since you can be 'depressed' in the emotional sense and/or you can have 'depression' in the medical sense, which are two very different things.

My post was about anxiety, but thanks.
  • bethfartman
    Options

Sorry, that was not clear in your post nor in your response to my response.
  • evereadysmile
    Options

Deep breaths, everybody.

I think a lot of people suffering from depression and anxiety are told to to "let it go" and for some that seems impossible or simply confusing. It's really wonderful that it worked for you and has worked for other people, but a lot of people suffering from depression or anxiety find this phrase triggery and become immediately defensive because they can't let it go, literally can not, that's a major symptom of their disorder. So being told to let it go is seen as, at best, unhelpful, at worst insulting. I'm sure you didn't mean this at all and were genuinely trying to be helpful. But the response you got, which probably seemed unnecessarily harsh to you, stems from how triggery this phrase can be to some people.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Suffered clinical depression since the age of 13, and have been on various medications since then, but have tried to avoid them for sometime as there is uncertainty as to whether I have bipolar and I had some really nasty, frightening side effects from some of the medications I was put on. I also suffer panic attacks and anxiety disorder, social anxiety and OCD. Life can be very difficult. When it is good, I make the most of it, but when I slump, I slump to the point of becoming suicidal and seeing no future at all. I find working out can help, but only when it hasn't hit its worst points, at which time little seems to help at all. I am currently in one of the worst slumps I have had in a long time, due to splitting with my bf and a combination of other things, including battling a few issues with eating disordered behaviour. It can be a very lonely experience, depression.

*hug*

Thanks, that means a lot. Very sweet of you. Hug back.
  • bethfartman
    Options

Deep breaths, everybody.

I think a lot of people suffering from depression and anxiety are told to to "let it go" and for some that seems impossible or simply confusing. It's really wonderful that it worked for you and has worked for other people, but a lot of people suffering from depression or anxiety find this phrase triggery and become immediately defensive because they can't let it go, literally can not, that's a major symptom of their disorder. So being told to let it go is seen as, at best, unhelpful, at worst insulting. I'm sure you didn't mean this at all and were genuinely trying to be helpful. But the response you got, which probably seemed unnecessarily harsh to you, stems from how triggery this phrase can be to some people.

Very well put, thanks! You're right, it does trigger something in me and maybe it shouldn't and I should simply 'let it go'... =).
    I wasn't upset about it, although I think the other gentleman was and I feel a bit bad because I wasn't trying to be a bully, I just felt the need to fill in with some facts since that mentality irks me so much in terms of depression.
    Plus he was just talking about anxiety which can be different if that's all you have and that mindset may very well work for some, I do not know since I have other biological issues such as bipolar disorder that go hand in hand with my anxiety.
  • Health_Conscious
    Options
    If anyone understands anxiety attacks its me. I know what it is like to have anxiety to the point of not being able to leave the house. They can be debilitating. I had been on benzon's for the past 10 years on and off, and I also had bouts of mild to moderate depression as well. I would also engage in the cycle of overeating to stuff down my emotions. I didn't understand how a way would be possible to ever release these irrational feelings and end the anxiety.

If you need a good reference to get started on the raw foods for anxiety check this link out for the results from a research study they did that proves the power of raw foods for anxiety:
    http://www.iowasource.com/food/lenkastudy_0806.html
  • charlybu
    charlybu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You will never get out of depression/anxiety by focusing on yourself. There is no amount of "me time" or "self care" that will help you. It is true that taking care of yourself and looking better will help you feel a little better, but that's not enough to get you out of depression. The problem with treating depression is in recent years we've decided that it's the equivalent of extreme low self esteem, and yes, it feels like that when you're stuck in it. BUT the root of depression is not the fact that we think we're worthless, that's only the symptom. Depression is what happens when we get stuck in a cycle of selfish thinking. The truth about each of us is that we are all stinking piles of crap held together by good intentions. What makes a good person is not the fact that that person is always good, but that they attempt to be so. This is human nature.

When we are thrust into depression by circumstances, hormones, personal failures, etc . . . (and some of us are more prone than others, not because we're bad people) our first response is to evaluate ourselves, and usually quite harshly. Then when we find out that we're really as bad as we suspected, we make another pass and berate ourselves more. THEN counselors, society, and popular beliefs, tell us that we need to keep looking inward and try to pretend that we're not stinking piles of crap and that will somehow get us out of it. BUT that's what got us mired down into it in the first place! And if you somehow manage to lie yourself out of it once, haven't you just made yourself a dishonest person and given the next depression more fuel to bash you over the head with?

The best way to get out of depression and deal with anxiety is to do just enough self examination to figure out what your bad tendencies are and figure out ways to stop them before they start bashing you over the head. This is not the kind of self examination that goes back and dwells on past mistakes, this is the kind that tries to figure out what kind of thinking got you headed in the wrong direction. For me, being a recovering agoraphobic, the front door holds a special kind of terror for me. I know that it's an illogical fear and I treat it as such. Over the last seven years, I joined a choir, started gardening, and this last year I even started walking around our neighborhood and forced myself to wave and say hi to everyone I saw. I'm sure that sounds wimpy, but it is a huge improvement for me. I have had to take it slowly, because I realized that I would have to pay for every step forward with extra anxiety later. It's like training for a marathon. You work hard, but you don't push yourself so hard that you injure yourself. You allow your body time to recover. I'm never going to be an outgoing, activities every day type of gal, but I'll be a better me (Pile of crap that I am).

That's the practical side of it, now for the spiritual. I don't care what religion or anti-religion you affiliate yourself with, this truth is the same for all of them: The value of a person is not based on what good they do for themselves, but what good they do for others, especially for those who can't pay them back.

Jesus said that if you want to be great, you have to serve others (paraphrased). Gandhi said: "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." Mother Teresa: "One of the greatest diseases is to be nobody to anybody."

Find a mission for yourself. It doesn't have to be world changing. Make it something that any old piece of crap human can do. Then do it with all you're heart. That will will get you out of depression. And if the depression tries to come back you have more knowledge and more ammo to fight it off with.

Don't listen to the world when it tries to coddle you, gives you excuses, and tries to tell you you're a good person and you shouldn't feel bad about yourself. BS! You're a stinking pile of crap like the rest of us, so get over it and get on with it! The truth will set you free!

John Stuart Mill: "Ask yourself whether you are happy and you cease to be so."

;) Bring on the hate ;)
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I won't hate on you, whatever gets you healthy and out of a depressive episode is great. There's no one road to health and success. But for people whose depression is closely linked to abuse and trauma, a focus on self-worth isn't selfish at all. It's a radical act of resistance and survival.