ALCOHOL

Options
Does anybody else enjoy a beer or three on a hot day? or sometimes over indulge with friends on a weekend??
I found beer to my my arch enemy when it comes to dieting.
i am trying a switch to gin and tonic's as my drink of choice.
anybody enjoy a drinkskie after a hard days work or on a beautiful sunny day??

Replies

• CLDKess
    CLDKess Posts: 40
    Options
    FYI-Tonic is almost identical to regular soda/pop
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't drink beer but I am a big vodka drinker. I went to Nashville Wednesday, had the vodka in my water. It was the first time I had it like that and it wasn't bad.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    Beer may be my absolute downfall. I enjoy a beer or 3 or 5 at the pool during the summer, I enjoy going to MLB baseball games and enjoying a few there, NFL games, there too, sports bars to watch the games, there too. As you can see, I can eat healthy all week but as soon as the weekend hits it probably goes right out the window with how much beer I consume.
  • madampirate
    Options
    labatt blue, (which my husband is drinking at the moment) has 153 calories in ONE beer.. i just busted my *kitten* for half hour doing a work out video for 250 calories.. if i crack this beer i am going to be sooo mad at myself :(
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I enjoy beer & cider, trouble is it clocks up around 160 cals a pint for the beer and way over 200 a pint for the cider, so as my main downfall was popping in the pub at lunch time [with beer belly as proof] I have decided to walk on by, at least try to. until Christmas

So far so good, and like chocolate & biscuits I find if the items are not in the house then temptation is not there either
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i agree, I love my beer, weekends are also my downfall, whatever I lose during the week I end up gaining most of it back on the weekends. I found drinking Bacardi and water with a lemon is better than beer, which I do drink, but there are times when beer just seems the better choice. Hopefully this winter I'll go on the wagon for a while and lose some weight
  • madampirate
    Options

this is weird.. because.. the bottle of tonic says 50 cal per 250Ml... thats 200 cal's less than pop already.. i know Gin has alot of calories??
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options

this is weird.. because.. the bottle of tonic says 50 cal per 250Ml... thats 200 cal's less than pop already.. i know Gin has alot of calories??
    Wow! What kind of tonic did you buy? I want some.Per calorie king, 12 oz of tonic water (regular) has 124 cal. http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-tonic-water-i14155
    ETA: I can't think in ml , but I believe 250ml is ~ 8.5oz.
  • girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Beck's Premium Light Beer-64 calories in a bottle AND its tasty. Love it.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Red wine, low cal with some health benefits ;-)
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    Does anybody else enjoy a beer or three on a hot day? or sometimes over indulge with friends on a weekend??
    I found beer to my my arch enemy when it comes to dieting.
    i am trying a switch to gin and tonic's as my drink of choice.
    anybody enjoy a drinkskie after a hard days work or on a beautiful sunny day??

Booze tends to hinder my judgement when it comes to food choices. However, I am willing to have a drink or three on occasion. This last Tuesday I made fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and added my fave vodka. I had two glasses of vodka grapefruit and about 8 oz of my friends homemade beer. It was worth it calorie and buzz wise but I didn't feel so hot the next day.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I've never believed that alcohol played a factor in my weight loss or gain. And it turns out, I may be right: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/alcohol-drinking-and-weight-loss-tips
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    I think that is probably my biggest hurdle. I have switched to the 74 calorie margarita recipe that someone posted here. Still trying to tweak the amount of the ingredients for the best taste. It's a pretty simple recipe.

1 oz tequila 64ish calories per ounce
    1 packet lemonade flavor drink packet (10 calories per packet)
    8 oz zero calorie sprite/7up
    squirt of real lime lime juice

I use a red solo cup and it fits nicely. Fill the cup with ice, add your tequila, squirt of lime juice fill with sprite/7up then mix in your lemonade packet.

I was very surprised. I figured I could have 8 of those to 6 Coors Light. They take longer to drink and I know I would have had waaaaaaay more than 6 beers in the same amount of time.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Regular commercial tonic (Canada Dry or Schweppes): about 100 calories for 8 oz
    "Boutique" tonic like Q or Fever Tree are a bit less, I believe.
    Diet tonic--0 calories.
    Gin is about 70 cal/oz or about 100 cal/shot.

I personally drink a shot of vodka at about 100 cal + diet tonic so all my calories are for the booze and not the mixer.

Red wine may have health benefits but I wouldn't call it low cal. It's about 125 cal/5 oz.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    on the days i drink its called cheat day.lol

Malibu and pineapple juice! <3 yumm!
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    I have had drinks throughout the entire time I've been losing weight. I've recently switched to Jack and Coke Zero, just for calorie minimization. I do have to make sure I'm not hungry when I drink though, otherwise I end up pigging out.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It is my biggest challenge. I like to drink beer and wine. I try to allot for the calories but sometimes I get stung by the "one more" bug and then go over. :grumble:

I have noticed I am "puffy" for a few days after drinking. :ohwell: So yea, I think it holds me back.
  • RainbowBrightww23
    RainbowBrightww23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a very hard time self regulating my alcohol intake (ie. I consumed 1000+ calories a day in alcohol alone almost every day from May-September this year which was obviously problematic), and it caused me to gain about 15 pounds. When I started Weight Watchers a few weeks ago, I made the commitment to myself that unless it is an extremely special occasion I will only consume alcohol two nights per week until my school semester is over. I'm sleeping better, need less hours of sleep to feel energetic, and lost 8 pounds in less than two weeks. For me, it looks like alcohol just isn't something I can consume every day for weight loss because of my own weaknesses with self regulation, but I definitely do love drinking on a hot day or after school/work :P
  • careyannal
    Options

Wow! What kind of tonic did you buy? I want some.Per calorie king, 12 oz of tonic water (regular) has 124 cal. http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-tonic-water-i14155
    ETA: I can't think in ml , but I believe 250ml is ~ 8.5oz.

You can always use Diet tonic. I always drank vodka tonics, but now on the RARE occasion that I drink, I swap the tonic out for club (0 calories). I don't know if its good with gin, though.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I love beer and wine.....It was hard but I have been able to push my beer/wine drinking to Sundays only

Though I havent had beer since Labor day, just wine

I have no plans to cut alcohol out my diet, but I was able to cut it back to once a week.....Couple of glasses but all is well