Show me dramatic weight loss over 50 years old

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Approaching 52. Lost 52 pounds since June 2011. It is good to have a neck again rather than a bowling ball sitting on my shoulders. :bigsmile:
  • Coach74sb
    Coach74sb Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 this May and, in anticipation of that milestone, decided on New Year's Day that I was no longer going to be overweight for a whole variety of reasons: weight-related health issues as I age, my wife, my granddaughters and myself. I've lost 40 pounds of the my goal of 50-55 pounds lost.

My approach is very simple: track everything that I eat, walk ALOT and net my calories. No gym membership, no pumping iron (though I do pushups and abs work), no starvation.

You can lose weight over 50 ... 60 ... 70.
  • teepeetim
    teepeetim Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't have any photos that really show it, but I am down 37 pounds in 3 months. Now my weight is slightly up, but that is probably due to weight training, and starting to add muscle.
    I run every second day.

I really feel good at 51 years old. I haven't felt this good since I was in my twenties.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Started in 2004, lost 55 lbs. by 2006 with walking 1 mile per day and portion control. Lost 78 lbs.total by 2012 and I am enjoying mobility and maintenance weight now @ 62. Can't stop getting old, but I'm not going to be old and fat. :P
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am 49 and am succeeding, however it is slower than when I was younger. I do have several women on my friend list that have lost alot of weight on here that are in their late 40s-60s. One just posted pics after losing over 130 pounds. I will find the link to her success story. Also, check out the link that others have posted about losing "60 pounds at age 51". She is awesome. Check thru the success story section of the board and you will probably find some more.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm now 62 and I've lost over 100 pounds since I was 56. Take a look at the photos in my profile. There's one where I was over 300 pounds. I don't know how much over, because I refused to be weighed after that point. I was 56 then.

Best of luck to your friend!
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It is true, it might be more difficult to lose weight as we age.........but............it is probably because we slow down a bit. I will be 80 next year and I have lost weight slowly and methodically as I planned. I stepped up my activity and thanks to this website, I keep track of my eating. I don't have a dramatic weight loss to achieve but it doesn't matter how much! It is the journey we must keep on. Best of luck to your friend.

You rock!!!! I hope I am half as fit as you at 79!!!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Mine...and no surgery. I changed my eating and worked out...and walk everyday!!
    My start weight Nov 1st 2010 was 232 pounds.... today I'm at 118.2 And everyone always said I was big boned....lol.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and have lost over 100 pounds. I have photos on my profile you can look at if you like.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Go to the success stories section, or just do a search on the board for-

"131 lbs down but a lot more to go"

User name is tmauck4472

She is a 51 yr old female who has lost this much in only 9 months! She is on my hero list!
    Her before and now pictures are posted there.
  • miyam188
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds since May. That's not bad for 6 months, but it took a lot of patience, water, tracking my food and adding exercise. For me, Leslie Sansone's walking dvd's was the best. I am 55 years old and weigh a lot, so I can not do extreme physical workouts. I just joined myfitnesspal and I hope to lose more!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options

What Sarge said ^^ . If this story doesn't prove it, then nothing will. Totally amazing.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I am 50 and have lost over 100 pounds. I have photos on my profile you can look at if you like.

WOW, you rocked this! You have officially moved to my hero list as well!
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and have almost reached my CGW. Tomorrow is the day,,hopefully 40 pounds gone.
    I started in April of this year...averaging 1.55 pounds off per week.
    I can be done.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Tell your friend that although there are challenges as we age, it can be done! Patience and persistence. :flowerforyou:
  • Epetrovitch
    Epetrovitch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've lost 110 pounds since January. Im 57. Pictures are in my profile. Tell your friend that age is just a number and it doesn't matter how old you are. In January I could not jog to the corner, I am running my first half marathon this weekend!
  • hdrider8968
    Options
    not 50 yet, but I'm 47. so far lost 100 pounds this year. I'm doing it to fight diabetes and HBP. Diabetes in check now.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am 58 going to be 59 in Dec. My highest weight was 238 lbs in 2007. I am 193 as of today. (had reached to 188 in May but gained some because of the travelling). My weight comes very slowly and some time it is frustrating. But I am healthier, stronger and more energetic. I don't have diabetics or Cholesterol issues. Please tell your friend that it can be done. You may want to check out the group in MFP for your friend '50+, FABULOUS AND FIT'
  • Double_Tapp
    Options
    I am 51 I will be 52 in January.

WeightLoss.jpg
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Age 53. Diabetes. High BP. All under control. I went from extremely sedentary to at least 1 hour of exercise @ 5 days a week. I eat a proper diabetic diet.

before_me-2_zps5a70252a.jpg

after_IMAG0058.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!