People thinking you're sick after weight loss?

Options
kennyh75
kennyh75 Posts: 20 Member
I'm getting a bunch of this since I dropped the weight. In my field as an attorney, clients compare my website pics to whom they see now and ask the question to me personally... in fact, RUMORS about my health are circulating around town I'm learning.

Very odd indeed.

Replies

• Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Options
    my mom asked me if i were making myself throw up the other day :/ wtf
  • oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    wow this sucks,
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I was told I look like someone from a 3rd world country. Haiti to be specific. wtf?
  • TDub83
    TDub83 Posts: 21
    Options
    yeah same thing here. keep getting told I should go to the doctor in fact ha.
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options

Nice username.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have heard it before. Once i was grocery shopping and i ran into an old co-worker and she started with are you ok , whats wrong are you sick ? I also heard it from mom and other family members.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't know why people do that. My parents say I shouldn't lose anymore weight for fear that I'm becoming anorexic.....They're crazy lol

I think its just initial shock of seeing something new. They just need some time to get used to the change.
  • tessaeve
    tessaeve Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My co-worker worked really hard and lost 60 pounds last year. Our office had several calls from people that were just being nosey and wanting to know what illness he was suffering from.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    As long as your nutrition is adequate, don't worry about what people say. I think it's hard for some people to relate to us once we have started losing weight, and getting healthier and they haven't. I guess they just really don't get it.

Keep up the good work my friend!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think this usually happens when people didn't think you "needed to" lose weight in the first place.

I know there was a guy my mom babysat for, and he was by NO MEANS a big guy. Nobody would look at him and think "woah, he should lose weight". We saw him a couple years later and he looked drastically different and my mom asked his wife if "he was sick". She felt bad after, hearing that he was fine & just had been working out and lost 20lbs. Nobody thought he needed to lose in the first place, so thinking about him trying to lose weight, was just foreign to people I guess lol

It must really suck, and I'm SURE i'm going to get this same thing at my office when I'm done losing weight, because people don't think I need to currently.......but TRY to take it as a compliment lol (might not be easy to) but people mean well.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people have to be so rude about weight loss?! It's like they feel it's okay to be rude if your skinny or losing weight.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think our society is so used to fatness and obesity and people generally bein unfit and unhealthy that to lose weight and actually be healthier is like there must be something medically wrong with you lol!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    OP update the website pic!

Yes I got that a lot when I dropped 40 lbs in 6 months.
  • teresaislosingitsmith
    Options
    The last time I lost a bunch of weight someone asked me if it was on purpose. After I said yes, they were relieved that it wasn't because I was sick. Why is it that they assume you must be sick and not just trying to lose weight so you can stay healthy and/or get healthy?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new photo on the website! (I work in law firm--LOL)
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    well my mother had no problem asking me if I was anorexic. and one co-worker told me my neck was too thing (kind of a weird thing to say to someone). since I was doing a lot of strength training I looked smaller than I weighed. However when I lost all the weight I got down to 125 and I myself thought I looked a little too thin so I bumped it up 5 pounds.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If you look pale, just jog outdoors a bit everyday, get your vitamin D and a little color in your face.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Nice username.
    05d.jpg
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    In Highschool I lost a lot a weight and rumors started that I was on cocaine. Yea, I wasnt.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a bunch of this since I dropped the weight. In my field as an attorney, clients compare my website pics to whom they see now and ask the question to me personally... in fact, RUMORS about my health are circulating around town I'm learning.

Very odd indeed.

give them a huge big smile and say ' no i've been working out and getting healthy and I FEEL GREAT!" :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!