LADIES: What is a good way to get rid of water weight?

Options
I can't seem to lose the last bit of water weight I gained after my last period.. it has been 5 days. I want to stay away from water pills at all costs if possible. Any one know foods that are natural diuretics?

Replies

• tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice( or more) to my water.....It works and it's good for you.....
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice( or more) to my water.....It works and it's good for you.....
    Thank you! I will try this.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The more water I drink in a day, the less my body holds on to. I make sure to get in lots of water after a high sodium day.

Be forewarned though... be prepared to be running back and forth to the bathroom every 15 min or so. lol Not so great if you have a job where you're on the road a lot!!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Seems counter intuitive, but it helps.
  • stines72
    Options
    The more water I drink in a day, the less my body holds on to. I make sure to get in lots of water after a high sodium day.

Be forewarned though... be prepared to be running back and forth to the bathroom every 15 min or so. lol Not so great if you have a job where you're on the road a lot!!
    Haha I sure know how this is. I am drinking tons of water... water has been my best friend through out this journey. But its like since my last period I am peeing much less with the same amount of water intake... hm which makes me think it is lingering water weight from period
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Review your salt intake.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    steam a bunch of asparagus and eat some watermelon. Guaranteed! You will pee out the excess sodium!
  • Kaiukas
    Options
    Also make sure you get plenty of protein.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    By drinking more water you are flushing out all the rest from your system, doesn't seem like that would help but it definitely does! Just be ready to make a run to the restroom quite a bit.
  • stines72
    Options
    sodium could actually be the problem...
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    drink a lot of water, 2 liters maybe. drink about 16 oz before bed, reduce salt and sugar intake they cause water retn

i hear green tea, black tea and lemonade (make healthy with stevia or agave) reduce water

during my period i take otc water pills sometimes.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Detox tea from Yogi works WONDERS, as does green tea. But man that Detox till will make you pee like a rainstorm. I'm soo bloated right now...my period ended a couple of days ago but I'm still up 2 pounds on the scale. But, I have eaten a lot of sodium this week. Drank two cups of the tea already today :-)
  • Kaiukas
    Options
    Also, sometimes water retention is associated with strenuous exercise.

Intuitively one would think that exercise results in the loss of water (sweating and all). But our body is more clever than that and holds on to sodium and water alike!

Namely, exercise affects the hormones that regulate water-electrolyte homeostasis. It triggers the release of antidiuretic hormone (also known as vasopressin) and aldosterone. Aldosterone helps the body maintain proper sodium levels, while antidiuretic hormone helps regulate fluid balance by causing water retention instead of fluid being excreted in urine. Intense exercise in the heat causes aldosterone release that limits the excretion of sodium by the kidneys. The increased sodium retention in the body promotes more water retention. The fluid volume may rise by 10 to 15 percent!!!

I am not sure whether it is relevant in your case. I have most certainly experienced exercise-related water retention.

Hope this helps:flowerforyou:
  • topsykretes
    Options
    I know this is going to sound crazy, but in order to get rid of period bloat you must drink water -- every day. Yes, you will be a pee monster for a while until your body gets used to it. Yes, it will be hard at first. Yes, it will suck because most of us would rather drink something else. But this is the only thing that has helped me. Once I started drinking eight to ten full glasses of water a day, I stopped having that five to seven pound period bloat. Sometimes I will take an Advil to help with the cramps and excessive feeling of 'omg, really?' Water has really become the key for my mitigating the monthly blahs. Becoming a personal camel and cutting out everything else except my one cup a coffee in the morning literally changed how I feel and look each day. Please don't hurt yourself by taking harmful dieuretics that mess with your electrolytes and internal balance. It is a temporary solution. I read once that the human body is something like 80% water. Anway.... that's what helps me. It's in the way I eat, breath, and move each day. I excercise during my periods, too. Sorry, but just because it's that time of the month doesn't give me carte blanche to not exercise. What I do is change my level of intensity -- I just take it down a few notches those few days. Basically, I've changed my lifestyle. Was it easy? No. But once I read that 85% of all disease is lifestyle related... well, that spoke volumes to me. And I had to get real with myself. So drink up. Add some lemon. Add some lime. Find ways for it to taste yummy. It's so refreshing and good for you! All-in-all, I promise you will feel better as time marches onward once your'e drinking your wonderful 8-10 glasses. That's my two cents today on period bloat 101. I hope you are feeling better soon, friend. Take care.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The best way to flush water from your system is to drink more water!!! You retain water when your body thinks you either are or may become dehydrated. The best way to get rid of it, is to simply drink more.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to lose the last bit of water weight I gained after my last period.. it has been 5 days. I want to stay away from water pills at all costs if possible. Any one know foods that are natural diuretics?

Drink lots of water, avoid too much sodium and white flour or gluten, and dandelion root extract is a natural diuretic as is coffee.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    watermelon
  • AtlGlamBabe34
    AtlGlamBabe34 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience,
    1) As others have stated, drink your water.
    2) Asparagus, cabbage, cucumbers, oatmeal are some natural diuretics in my experience.
    3) Eat some potassium-rich foods, such as avocados, bananas, or coconut water (unsweetened). This encourages cells to release sodium, and the excess water goes with it.
  • aimeero2012
    Options
    Dandelion tea is good and lots of water!
  • crystalirene12
    crystalirene12 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking Jillian Michael's detox water. Its actually not too bad. You can find the recipe here. I just used a detox tea from Wal-mart since I couldn't find the dandillion. I am on day two and hoping to drop a few pounds by next Monday!

Good luck! http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1821630